Notices

Need help - dual diagnosis and won't do 12 step

Old 07-01-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help - dual diagnosis and won't do 12 step

I've been Dx'd with Bipolar 1 disorder and alcohol dependence. Notice, I don't say the word alcoholic, as even my shrink says it's pejorative (and it's not even noted in the DSM IV as such, any longer). At any rate, I am looking for help in locating a non-12 step based rehab program that also knows/deals with bipolar disorder.

I attended my first AA meeting 30 years ago...sorry, no way in heck...not going to happen.

I believe in science and need help. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, alcoholism and alcohol dependence are, in my book, two different things. One can be an alcoholic without being physically dependent on the substance. I was both. In any case, it's semantics.

It's common for Doctors to diagnose practicing alcoholics as Bi-polar. The symptoms are similar. I'm not saying that you're not bi-polar, but I'd make a fair wager that if you abstained from alcohol and worked a good recovery program, you're bi-polar symptoms would lessen or go away.

You went to one meeting, 30 years ago, and are making a decision about your life based on that ? I'd seriously re-consider, and at the very least no matter what program of recovery your choose, you're going to have to be honest, open minded, and willing to change.

As far as science, for a really good description of how alcohol affects the mind and body of an alcoholic (and how an alcoholics body is actually different), check out the book "Under The Influence".
Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

This is weird, I just put something about this exact issue in another post.

What the heck, I'll put it here too. It's worth reading twice

From the book: "Beyond the Influence".

Be sure to schedule an initial consultation with the therapist. During this interview, ask the therapist to explain his or her beliefs about alcoholism. Listen carefully to the answer. Here is the general answer you are most likely to get: "I believe alcoholism is a disease." At that point, ask: "What exactly do you mean by the word disease?" If you hear some thing along the lines of "Alcoholism is a symptom of other life problems" or "Alcoholism is a maladaptive behavior rooted in psychological conflict," say, "Thank you very much for your time," and schedule an interview with another therapist. What if the therapist says something like, "Alcoholism is a disease, I have no question about that fact. Still, it seems to me that you might also be depressed-have you ever considered taking medication for your depression?" This happens often, and here's how you should respond: "Do you think that my depression is caused by alcoholism or that it is an independent problem?" The answer to this question will tell you whether or not the therapist is considering a dual diagnosis.

Dual diagnosis is an extremely controversial topic in alcoholism treatment circles. In many treatment centers the majority of alcoholics are labeled dual-diagnosis patients and treated for both alcoholism and, say, chronic depression or chronic anxiety; treatment for psychological disturbances often involves the use of various medications including antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood elevators, or sedatives. Too often the diagnosis is made on the basis of the patient's presenting symptoms-the recovering alcoholic is clearly anxious, depressed, or suicidal-and no effort is made to review the patient's history to determine if the anxiety or depression existed prior to the use of alcohol and/or other drugs.

When the primary problem is alcoholism, it is highly likely that the secondary symptoms of depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks will improve rapidly over a period of several days or weeks of abstinence, eventually disappearing without the need for medication. A dual diagnosis, in these cases, would constitute a misdiagnosis, for the disruptions in thought, mood, and behavior are not separate disorders at all but consequences of alcoholism. In most cases these symptoms will abate after several weeks of abstinence and disappear after several months. If the psychological symptoms continue unabated or worsen as time goes on, the need for medication can be reevaluated.

Some recovering alcoholics do benefit from antidepressant medication in the early stages of recovery, but in determining who is a candidate for medication, this essential question must be asked: Is the recovering alcoholic's depression related to the lingering effects of the disease and thus destined to lift over time, or is the depression a separate disorder that predated the drinking and will continue despite abstinence? If the depression is not severe or debilitating, many alcoholism experts and clinicians will advise you to wait three or four months (or longer, in some cases) before taking medication. They don't want you to suffer unnecessarily, but they also don't want to jump to conclusions or suggest therapies that might
jeopardize your sobriety.

Although many recovering alcoholics have experienced relief from depression, anxiety, insomnia, and obsessive-compulsive disorders by taking the class of antidepressants known as SSRIs, these drugs are not, unfortunately, without their problems (see Chapter 11). Our general rec ommendation is to approach all long-term drug treatments with caution.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Groucho - I didn't pick up that you had pasted that info in on my thread :0)

That book, wasn't it written in the 70's?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At any rate, I am looking for help in locating a non-12 step based rehab program that also knows/deals with bipolar disorder.
Sorry....I have no clue.

Pherps your doctors do?

I do apologize for thinking you were Karen
this time I copied and pasted...
Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum Kathryn D
Old 07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I think that "Under the influence" was published in the 70's.

The book was completely updated and re-written as "Beyond the influence", published in 2000 byBantam, written by, Katherine Ketcham (who was a co-author of "Under the influence") and William Asbury (with others).

Beyond has more information on the celluar and biological stuff as the science has advanced considerably. Much of the discoveries involving the neurotransmitters and that interaction with alcohol and other drugs actually stems from parkensons research. (No telethons for alcoholism!).

Highly reccommend it.

You first attended AA 30 years ago, would you elaborate?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

needtobefree....
That book, wasn't it written in the 70's?
I got sober with it in '89
and
I use a book wittten in '35
to live in recovery joy

Bes of luck on your journey...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please be aware that mental illnesses are real and often are the precursor to self-medicating.

There is a great deal of misinformation and stigma related to mental illness. Chemical imbalances in the organ of the brain are no different than chemical problems in other organs such as in diabetes.

Before we speak of these things with authority, it is best to educate ourselves and be informed of the issues we are addressing.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Well, alcoholism and alcohol dependence are, in my book, two different things. One can be an alcoholic without being physically dependent on the substance. I was both. In any case, it's semantics.

It's common for Doctors to diagnose practicing alcoholics as Bi-polar. The symptoms are similar. I'm not saying that you're not bi-polar, but I'd make a fair wager that if you abstained from alcohol and worked a good recovery program, you're bi-polar symptoms would lessen or go away.

You went to one meeting, 30 years ago, and are making a decision about your life based on that ? I'd seriously re-consider, and at the very least no matter what program of recovery your choose, you're going to have to be honest, open minded, and willing to change.

As far as science, for a really good description of how alcohol affects the mind and body of an alcoholic (and how an alcoholics body is actually different), check out the book "Under The Influence".
You know, the truth is? Being bipolar is a very bad Dx. It affects your insurability. I think of those things. I am practical.

Nonetheless, my Dr. put me on an antipsychotic, which was clearly not warranted. I told him so and it was ok. See, therein lies the benefit from knowing a shrink for over three years. I am on an anti-convulsant, which has made a world of difference.

I don't use the word alcoholic. Even he says it's pejorative, as even according to the DSM IV. I have had enough treatment to keep up with the venacular. It works for me.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrouchoTheCat View Post
This is weird, I just put something about this exact issue in another post.

What the heck, I'll put it here too. It's worth reading twice

From the book: "Beyond the Influence".

Be sure to schedule an initial consultation with the therapist. During this interview, ask the therapist to explain his or her beliefs about alcoholism. Listen carefully to the answer. Here is the general answer you are most likely to get: "I believe alcoholism is a disease." At that point, ask: "What exactly do you mean by the word disease?" If you hear some thing along the lines of "Alcoholism is a symptom of other life problems" or "Alcoholism is a maladaptive behavior rooted in psychological conflict," say, "Thank you very much for your time," and schedule an interview with another therapist. What if the therapist says something like, "Alcoholism is a disease, I have no question about that fact. Still, it seems to me that you might also be depressed-have you ever considered taking medication for your depression?" This happens often, and here's how you should respond: "Do you think that my depression is caused by alcoholism or that it is an independent problem?" The answer to this question will tell you whether or not the therapist is considering a dual diagnosis.

Dual diagnosis is an extremely controversial topic in alcoholism treatment circles. In many treatment centers the majority of alcoholics are labeled dual-diagnosis patients and treated for both alcoholism and, say, chronic depression or chronic anxiety; treatment for psychological disturbances often involves the use of various medications including antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood elevators, or sedatives. Too often the diagnosis is made on the basis of the patient's presenting symptoms-the recovering alcoholic is clearly anxious, depressed, or suicidal-and no effort is made to review the patient's history to determine if the anxiety or depression existed prior to the use of alcohol and/or other drugs.

When the primary problem is alcoholism, it is highly likely that the secondary symptoms of depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks will improve rapidly over a period of several days or weeks of abstinence, eventually disappearing without the need for medication. A dual diagnosis, in these cases, would constitute a misdiagnosis, for the disruptions in thought, mood, and behavior are not separate disorders at all but consequences of alcoholism. In most cases these symptoms will abate after several weeks of abstinence and disappear after several months. If the psychological symptoms continue unabated or worsen as time goes on, the need for medication can be reevaluated.

Some recovering alcoholics do benefit from antidepressant medication in the early stages of recovery, but in determining who is a candidate for medication, this essential question must be asked: Is the recovering alcoholic's depression related to the lingering effects of the disease and thus destined to lift over time, or is the depression a separate disorder that predated the drinking and will continue despite abstinence? If the depression is not severe or debilitating, many alcoholism experts and clinicians will advise you to wait three or four months (or longer, in some cases) before taking medication. They don't want you to suffer unnecessarily, but they also don't want to jump to conclusions or suggest therapies that might
jeopardize your sobriety.

Although many recovering alcoholics have experienced relief from depression, anxiety, insomnia, and obsessive-compulsive disorders by taking the class of antidepressants known as SSRIs, these drugs are not, unfortunately, without their problems (see Chapter 11). Our general rec ommendation is to approach all long-term drug treatments with caution.

Well, thank you Ted. Six months into sobriety I started have panic attacks, although they were not my first psychiatric thingy into thing. I got my first signs at 8. See, this is one thing that really bugs me about the recovery movement. I mean, my God, there is so much stuff. So many people subscribe it to addiction, or whatever, when the psychiatric stuff was there, long before.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
Please be aware that mental illnesses are real and often are the precursor to self-medicating.

There is a great deal of misinformation and stigma related to mental illness. Chemical imbalances in the organ of the brain are no different than chemical problems in other organs such as in diabetes.

Before we speak of these things with authority, it is best to educate ourselves and be informed of the issues we are addressing.
Yes, I have a mental "challenge,"and not a mental illness. I refuse to be defined. The truth is I am pretty smart, but have no self-confidence. I wasn't always like this. It's crushed my heart to end up in this place, but I guess God never gives one more than one can handle.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hi, good to meet you as it were. We share some concerns re dual diagnosis and methods of attaining recovery. I hope you find the help you are looking for soon. I just found some help through the local health authority addiction services this morning, they have dual diagnosis teams and a lot of support services on offer. It might be worth checking out your end.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The truth is I am pretty smart, but have no self-confidence.
I've heard alkies described as huge egoists with an inferiority complex.

I wasn't always like this. It's crushed my heart to end up in this place, but I guess God never gives one more than one can handle.
Yup, that's the ego deflation thing. It hurts, we don't like it. But alkies need some humility, need to be humbled. It opens our minds to ideas that aren't ours.

Interesting about the God comment, I thought you were anti 12 step ?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Open Minded

You might like the different for women thread. I'm going to add some more to it now that I have found helpful so far.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, somehow you'd read I'd gone into ONE meeting in thirty years. The truth is I've been to countless hundreds and thousands of meetings. The rest of your statement is invalid, based on this erroneous assumption.

I have the book Under the Influence and have read it.

I have a real, qualified shrink who's Dx's me with bipolar so I bet you're statement that my Dr. is wrong, a shot in the dark. I've been with him over three years.

I welcome any suggestions about where to go for a non 12 based program with dual diagnosis. That's all I'm looking for. No offense, but in the conventional treatment scheme of things, I've probably surpassed you. Just looking for new ideas. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've heard alkies described as huge egoists with an inferiority complex.
And I've heard of wife beaters as very charming people..

Yup, that's the ego deflation thing. It hurts, we don't like it. But alkies need some humility, need to be humbled. It opens our minds to ideas that aren't ours.
No, I spent the past 16 months with an abuser. See how everything gets twisted within the AA framework, with no data to support it? Did I need the "ego deflation" of his name calling and abuse?

Interesting about the God comment, I thought you were anti 12 step ?
God and the 12 steps are "supposed" to be different, athough we both know it's a bait and switch. Somehow, everything was injected into AA by the Oxford Group, which, if you don't know, you really need to read up on the history of AA.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtobefree View Post
Hi, good to meet you as it were. We share some concerns re dual diagnosis and methods of attaining recovery. I hope you find the help you are looking for soon. I just found some help through the local health authority addiction services this morning, they have dual diagnosis teams and a lot of support services on offer. It might be worth checking out your end.
Hi, thanks. Do you have any link I can follow? I confess, I live in AA bible belt, so may be hard for me to access other services. I've tried them all, but some are more prevalent than in other areas.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For the record, most women come into AA already deflated. My ego has been deflated as the result of abuse over months. It sure has opened my mind to ideas that I didn't know before...Ideas I never should have and need to know.

Do you realize that AA was written by men, for men? Perhaps ego deflation was necessary, but it certainly isn't for women who have been raped and victimized at the hand of men, including those in AA.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Open Minded

I live in New Zealand, if you live in this area I can definately help you out. I'm pretty good at searching on the net though, if you want to pm me I'd be more than happy to help.

New Zealand is nicknamed 'Godzone' btw, I understand the bible belt thing :0)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Open Minded

We double posted - the book in the different for women thread is amazing, in the introduction she's talked about many of my concerns. I come from an abusive background too, right from the beginning. I wish I could say something more ... please go read that thread.