Notices

Sick, sad and sober

Old 05-18-2003, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gaza

Sick, sad and sober

Hello, I'm new to this message board. I've read several threads and its amazing how I can relate to most of them. I've been a drinker for roughly twenty years, with the last three or four being heavy drinking at times. I have quit for up to eight months at a time. I realize that I can't just have one drink. I do want to quit for myself and everyone around me, but I just seem to stumble every now and again. I'm not totally convinced about AA but am seriously considering it. I guess I'm just weighing all my options.

Gaza

Old 05-18-2003, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to Sober Recovery.Look around and read,and feel free to post anywhere you like.If you are thinking about AA,you might want to go to an open meeting.That's one for anyone with an interest in AA.If you call your local hotline they will be able to tell you where to find such a meeting.Often at open meetings there will be a speaker who tells his or her story.Listen with an open mind,and see if you can relate.

In any case,you are welcome here.I have included a link to AA's Big Book online.You can read it there if you wish.

http://www.recovery.org/aa/bigbook/ww/

Take care,

phoenix
Old 05-18-2003, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Gaza,welcome to the forums.

I too drank for nearly twenty years.For me there was never such a thing as "just one".

AA was able to help me to stop drinking and they may be able to help you too.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Staying sober is a lot easier and more fun when we do it together.

Peter.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gaza

Welcome

I know how you feel, I went to A.A. for a while before I was convinced it would work for me, I was lucky I was already detoxed a week when I got to A.A. and havn't drank since,
but it did take a while to get comfortable, and accept that I was like many of the other people there and that it was working for me, there are a lot of different meetings and I tried different ones and found the ones that worked best for me.

good luck to you, I hope to hear from you again and see how your doing.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Ditto that!

Hi Gaza,

I too have been a drinker, for over 20 years, didn't get any better, couldn't control the cravings, always broke promises to myself and family and welll...

I found this site, all the wonderful people, the clones of myself, over and over, and realized there was no doing this on my own. Was terrified at the thought of a meeting, it took10 days of all the Senior members here to convince me to get to a meeting and well, giving up my best friend Mr. Bud.

Well I am proud to say I am sober 13 days now thanks to this site, and finally took those dreadful steps through the doors of AA. I just sat observered, said nothing and cried all the way home the first few.. But yesterday I went to the womens meeting and finally "shared" and the peace I have felt these last two weeks is overwhelming. I hope you will at least try it once.

Hell, If you don't like it you can go back to drinking , and watch the person in the mirror looking back slowly desintegrate into the grave. Do something good for yourself!

If only I could pass these feelings of peace through the internet to you I would. Better yet try a meeting and "feel for yourself"
Old 05-19-2003, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

chy
I'm glad you madeit to that womans meeting, you are well on your way, keep on keepin on.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Gaza,
Weighing your options eh?? Seems to me like you have just two options! Quit drinking or continue down the trail you're on now. I guess the fact that you still have "options" means you aren't ready to quit yet! So, why not just try some controlled drinking, like just one drink a day. Or just stop for one year. You said you made it eight months....just a year can't be that bad.
I'm not suggesting anything out of the ordinary here. These two suggestions are contained in the AA Big Book. Just keep in mind though that while you're weighing your options, you're squandering precious time that could be spent under happier circumstances....like not drinking, going to meetings, finding new friends and working the steps to happiness.
Good luck and I hope you run out of options soon.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was under the impression that he meant he was considering options for recovery....and that AA was one those he had in mind.

Hang in there Gaza,and let us know how it goes.

phoenix
Old 05-20-2003, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Pheonix,
That was my impression also! Sounds typical though don't you think?
Picture a judge who's about to sentence a guy for a DUI. The judge says, "Well Sir, I'll give you a choice. 90 days in jail or one AA meeting." Long hesitation......Judge says, "Well..."
The guy says, "Wait a minute judge, I'm trying to decide!"
Old 05-20-2003, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gaza

Smile

Phoenix:
Actually you are right, I am weighing my options for recovery. At present it's been 4 days since I've had a drink. I have no intentions of having a drink or getting a DUI. Thank you all for your input. Talk to you soon.
Gaza

PS The cows up here aren't really mad.