Notices

Hangover & Panic

Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hi, sounds like you're doing great :0) Getting all that stuff done and avoiding taking a drink. Way to go :0) It's interesting to read other people's experiences of withdrawal etc, I don't feel so alone.

Not to confuse the thead topic here, but what is 'refusal' - is it a drug related to quitting drinking?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks it's going quite well at the moment. But like you said in your topic, the most difficult thing is staying off the booze. After a few days I forget (or pretend to forget) all the drinking problems I had and the horrible withdrawal. "Just one or two" "I will drink 2 days a week" "Now I control this" "I have a social event, I have to drink there, then I will quit" with such thoughts I fool myself and then everything starts over again.

Refusal (search for disulfiram on wikipedia) makes you feel very bad when you drink the slightest amount of alcohol while taking it. It's a good solution to prevent you from drinking but you have to take a pill every 2 days. I usually make up an excuse (party, birthday etc.) to stop taking it after 1-2 weeks

Last year I managed to take it for a whole month and then I stayed sober for 5 months. I hope I can at least repeat this succes with the help of AA.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nakur;

Glad you're doing OK. What I've found helpful, and my sponsor agrees, is to start writing down all the crap that alcohol has caused. I myself am quick forgetter, and I think if I get it on paper while it's still fresh in my mind, it may help later to read it. Just a thought.

Best to you.

BHJ
Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for the update...

Here is a link full of our
personal experiences with de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Just in case you can't sleep again.

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Forward we go.side by side
Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Quick update on Day 3, things are going well. Felt asleep very late (5 am) but slept for 7 hours without much disturbances (some strange dreams). Woke up a bit sweaty and the sweat smells horrible, must be all the poison leaving the body. I took the Refusal so I am guaranteed to stay booze free for at least a couple more days
Old 07-02-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
let it grow!

encouragement coming your way, nakur

blessings, k
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Nakur congrats on making it thus far, I drank for 40 years and the only thing that has kept me not only sober, but now happier then I have been in over 30 years has been AA. Give them a call, just to talk, go to a lot of meetings, I know it takes time to start to get a grasp of what the meetings are really about and even longer to suddenly realize "Hey I enjoy these meetings and feel a lot better after them."

I also found getting a temporary sponsor to start with to be very helpful. A sponsor is kind of like a mentor, they answer questions you have one on one and they also offer suggestions to help you out.

Getting sober for me was actually the easy part, staying sober was the hardest part! I finally reached the point where I had to drink every day just to feel normal.

Welcome to SR, keep us posted, it does get better every day you are sober, and your sobriety will become far more enjoyable using AA to stay sober then drinking ever was.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hello, it has been a while since my last post but I have been reading the forums daily. Day 9 now with mixed feelings. Still some anxiety and my sleeping pattern is totally messed up. I go to sleep at 3-4 am and wake up at 11. My bloodpressure is also a bit high but the anxiety might be the cause of that. On the positive side I am exercising more and my thinking is much clearer. I also read the article about PAWS, I just have to be patient and give time for my mind and body to recover. Two steps forward, one step back.

I had some weak moments but with the refusal drinking is not a question. After a while the cravings go away and I take my refusal to make sure I stay sober
Old 07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

Blessings
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

You are doing great!

Big hugs
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hang in there!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

+ 1, Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Nakur,

The price we pay for recovery seems quite high, doesnt it?

Like you, my problem is panic and anxiety. After 'coming down' from that drink(s), there is the sleeplessness, panic, shaky (perhaps not the dt's), worry, apprehension, etc.

Easier said than done, but you have my encouraging msg things will improve.

Intro
Old 07-08-2007, 06:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Nakur. I know you've been supportive of my quit. I am certain I would not be on day 8 without the support of people from AA. If this is not to your liking you still need to find another support group or at least a councilor or someone to talk to. I can not over emphasize how instrumental to my quit the support has been. I live alone and had no sober friends until now. Without these people I would still have all the nonsense rolling around in my head.

If you saw someone in your predicament what would do for that person? Would you help to reassure? Comfort them? Check up on them to make sure they're going OK (just as is happening on this forum)? All this and more is available from a support group such as AA. You can discover a social network. You'll see people smile and greet you warmly. You'll also see people who are depressed and struggling before a meeting become visibly relieved and even happy after they share and listen. Give it a shot.

Best wishes,
Shane.