Notices

Need some tools

Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Need some tools

to help me through this situation.

I friend of mine, who I went on a few dates with last year, out of the blue contacted me after a long time of not talking. I was happy to hear from him, he's a really good person. Anyway, after some catching up he's referring me for a job! Has offered to spruce up my resume with me etc. It's a really really good job! Nothing that I've ever done before, but I have skills that are applicable, and they train you for an industry license which would mean...NEW CAREER FOR KAREN. The company has wonderful benefits, including benefits for life partners. He just LOVES the company he works for.

I'M A WREAK.

In the past, not only have I not "gone for" somethings that would be hard to get but in the end really good, but I tend to sabotage myself in some way so that it never works out. I"m talking YEARS of doing this..since I was 19.

The hiring process starts with a phone interview (which I'm not too worried about, I give good phone lol) but then there is a TEST. Not to mention I have no idea what to wear to the interview, I'm worried about letting my friend down, I"m worried about not giving it my all..am I too old, too weird, too lazy??

I"m praying..

HELP

xo

Karen
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Karen, the first tool to grab is prayer, then go to a meeting and talk to some of the ladies who are professionals and ask them what to wear, heck they may even work with you on your face to face interviewing skills. As far as the test goes sit down with your friend and see if he can help you study for it.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mega Hugs...

After I got sober at 55..
I totally changed career fields twice.
And yes...I was fat.

The first took me away from a
drinking ambience
On job 2 i learned skills that
allowed me to nurse my dying Mother.

Please relax and go for the new adventure.
What do you have to lose?

BTW..wear blue but not jeans!
Blue is considered to be a trustworthy color.

Blessing
Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Karen,

This sounds like an opportunity that has come your way that will be so good for you and your life in the future.

I believe that things come to us when the time is right and if you can have faith in yourself and your HP, then you will get through this.

Just dress conservatively and try to keep it comfortable and you'll be fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Merlot -

I congratulate you on your opportunity!! It sounds wonderful. I've minimal advice on interviewing, as I have been self employed for 16-17 years.

I completely understand your apprehensions. Puting yourself "out there" in any circumstances is difficult. You have been given some great advice. Talk to your friend who brought you this opportunity. Have him bring you some company/corporate information, anything he can get his hands on, and ask him about the work atmosphere/attire. It is strictly professional, casual/professional, etc.

Go to a big name department store and ask the sales people for help. Take their advice, but buy on the conservative side unless you are looking at a more porgressive field of employ. If money is an object, try on EVERYTHING at the big department store, then go to a knock-off/discount store to purchase.

Even if you give "good phone", have a friend call you for an interview, and practice several times. You never know when a question will take you off guard. Do the same with your friends for the personal interview. Have a friend meet you at a neutral spot (restaurant, etc.) and walk in dressed for an interview. Practice and practice some more. There may be professionals at some of the meetings you go to who can give you pointers.

Testing . . . I hate that too, but I just wnet through some professional testing myself. I know for me, again, practice, practice, practice. The more you test, the higher your comfort level/scores will be. You've said that you have skills that are applicable. Go to the library, or try online, take any test you can find, then take it again, and again.

My best advice - pick up that phone or walk in with CONFIDENCE. You have the experience/education, they are willing to train you further, and you have been suggested for the position (HUGE).

A company with good benefits that is good to work for is well worth the effort!

Let us know how you do!!

TinLizzy
Old 06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stop worrying so much and just do your best. The outcome is in the hands of a Higher Power.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Feeling a bit better today due to the support and great ideas here!

Carol, it's funny, but I was out yesterday looking at dresses for the interview and the one that I really liked is BLUE! :-)

I'm getting together with my friend for coffee tomorrow night, and we'll spruce up my resume and I'll ask him more questions..he really wants to help!

Thanks everyone!

xoxo

Karen
Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Karen, I can sooo relate to what you said about sabotaging opportunities. I have actually had many near-successes, even while drinking & drugging, but right about the time that I was close to a breakthrough, ready to step up the game, I would do something that would blow the whole thing to hell. There's some stuff in the Big Book about that.

I've come to the conclusion that part of it was fear, that I would achieve some kind of success I couldn't maintain. Part of it was laziness. If I did well and didn't stumble, those around me would expect me to repeat the performance. By failing, I kept others from expecting too much of me.

The solution for me was learning to put one foot in front of the other. Sounds like you're practicing that right now. You've found a dress. You're getting your resume together. Keep doing the next right thing, and regardless of the outcome, you've done your part.

By being consistent in our efforts, we go places. You can get there from here.

Peace & Love,
Sugah