SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   why just me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/127315-why-just-me.html)

alldatoys 06-28-2007 07:55 PM

why just me

How I feel - Why can't I be like other people and just enjoy a drink. Why am I like this. One drink I its over till I pass out.

alldatoys 06-28-2007 07:59 PM

OH and as I read these threads, AA is not for me. Been there, done that. I am not spirtual and that is all I heard.

bye_bye_vodka 06-28-2007 08:18 PM

I wish that all I could have is just one too. But unfortunately I'm not one of those people. Things could be worse.

On the AA thing, there are some peolpe who just go to my group and leave before any prayers are said. They just go to hang for support.

alldatoys 06-28-2007 08:26 PM

When I want to quit -
Now, cause I am drinkg
Tonight, cause I want more beer
Tommorrow morning, because I feel like crap
Tommorrow afternoon, because i still feel like crap

HOWEVER,
when I get home after work, I want to drink again

Help

Peter 06-28-2007 08:37 PM

I do not believe there was ever a time in my life when I ever felt like I would have JUST ONE.

My magic number was always three.

Three was a nice number, I could do three, Three wont make me drunk. Just a nice little buzz to ease the stress of the day, uh huh, three is good...I'll go home early and I'll still have my money and the girlfriend wont be mad.

Yes, I know it's closing time Mr. Bartender but please just one more for the road....

CarolD 06-28-2007 09:00 PM

Welcome to SR!

If you are wanting to stop feeling crappy..
what is your plan?

Wishing you were healthy
does not make it so.

Blessings

alldatoys 06-28-2007 09:09 PM

i dont have a plan, hence my posting here.

raerae6 06-28-2007 09:27 PM

There are non-spiritual programs, too.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

barb dwyer 06-29-2007 12:12 AM

I hate to bust any bubbles, but I *am* grateful.

Sober alcoholics are some of the most incredible people I've ever met.

For us, the colors in this realm are just a bit brighter.
The feelings ... just a bit deeper.
Our capacity for intimacy ... more immediate.
The truth ... more profound.

I *am* grateful that I share these traits with so many others.
So I don't drink - bfd.

I know 'normies' ... don't get the spiritual high I get every time I see a sunset, either.
Not saying they don't get 'em sometimes ... but I get it every time.

I'm exceedingly grateful for that.

I figure when we drop this mortal coil, all we'll have left ... is our experiences.
I like to think that - our story - is what we not only leave behind,
but could well be what we take 'home' to the Infinite, as well.
Alcoholics ... have way more intense expriential perceptions than others.

We tell better stories.

Sorry to be contrary.

BP44 06-29-2007 04:08 AM

Right ON!!! I have never met an alcoholic yet who has said, " You know, I was thinking I might have a problem with alcohol, and the very first thing I did was gleefully run to an AA meeting and happily surrendered" Most of us stumble into the rooms of AA, some of us crawl in. But it is the last hope for the hopeless. When I read How It Works and it says "RARELY have we seen a person fail who has THOROUGHLY followed out path", I knew there must have been something I had missed. AA had not worked for me because I didn't work for AA. How often do we hear people say, " Oh, AA didn't work for me" but never complete the sentence. AA is attractive because it works. I see others whose lives have been changed who were as beat up as I was and worse. That gives me hope. Which makes me COME TO BELIEVE!!!!! See, I don't have to seek out other programs, spiritual or non spiritual, religious etc. 100 men and women recovered from a hopeless state....and this is how they did it. If it worked in 1935 certainly it will work now, unless I'm unique.

Tazman53 06-29-2007 04:15 AM

alldatoys trust me you are not alone!

I drank for 40 years, after about 30 years I started to realize that I needed to cut back because the booze was starting to control me and create almost daily problems in my life. At first I would limit myself to a 6 pack a day...... I always wanted more when the 6 were gone but I stopped at 6 and dealt with the want for more until the next day. Well the problems dissappeared when I was drinking 6 a day so I figured what the heck, I will drink 8 a day, things stayed good so I upped it to 10.... 12.... etc...... etc..... then the crap would start hitting the fan all over again.

This became a cycle for 4-5 years and there were times after that where I decided hey maybe I just need to quit. So I would tough it out for a week and figure I was doing really good so I would buy a 6 pack..... then a 12 pack...... then a case....., it was a vicous cycle that continued until I reached the point where I HAD TO DRINK EVERY DAY!!!!

I tried every thing under the sun to quit..... except AA!!! Bunch of damn losers, old drunks sitting in rooms talking about how they could not drink any more because they could not handle it! What a bunch of wimps!!!! Spirituality and HP caca!!!

I was finally beaten after 40 years of drinking and trying to control my drinking MY WAY!!!!! The only thing MY WAY had accomplished was to keep me drunk!

I surrendered to alcohol..... I admitted defeat, why be miserable? I decided to fight no more, I would drink when I wanted and how much I wanted, the world be damned!!! You know it actually felt good to do that.

Soon after I found out that my entire world was about to collapse around me and all that I would have left was my booze and me!!!

I saw my life in fast forward and what I saw was DEATH!!!!!

Well I was totally lost as to what to do, I knew MY WAY did not work and that was all I knew!

I put myself into detox, maybe they could help, because I darn sure could not help myself.

Well in detox they told me that if I wanted a chance at long term sobriety my best chance was to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well my ass was kicked but good!!! I knew I had to stay sober or die...... for once in my life I followed directions/suggestions.

Going into AA sober and miserable straight out of detox was confusing as heck for me, people were laughing and talking to each other, these people looked normal!!!

I had been to AA before..... just not sober.

For me AA was the solution, getting spiritual has been fantastic for me. Hey there are other programs out there that I am sure work or they would not be around, but no program spiritual or not will work if you do not work it.

For this alcoholic with out face to face support I would have never stayed sober, with AA I have not only found out how to live life on lifes terms sober, but through the steps I have also found happiness, self esteem, and self confidence.

Tazman53 06-29-2007 04:20 AM

To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face.
This statement from the book Alcoholics Anonymous pretty much summed it up for me.

barb dwyer 06-29-2007 05:03 AM

thanks wander!

wow BP - way to work it, dood!

Grasshopper 06-29-2007 05:17 AM

Hi and welcome!!.
Not to worry about not being spiritual.The Big Book tells me,that--we have a spiritual awakening as a RESULT,of these STEPS.Work the steps,changes happen!!!
We also claim spiritual progress----never perfection.
The idea that i can drink like others had to be squashed,if im to live..this true,for me.At first i was resentful,that i couldnt drink normally.Today its simply a non-issue in my life.This is too a result in my life by working,and living in the 12 steps,of AA.I no longer think that drinking is the thing to do,and dont care if others drink or not..Mind you when i ,first,stoped drinking,i was crying and hugging my bottle.,then i let it go,and onto a new way to live.Ive changed,and the promises come true in my life.

wozzek 06-29-2007 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by alldatoys (Post 1389464)
How I feel - Why can't I be like other people and just enjoy a drink. Why am I like this. One drink I its over till I pass out.

What other people? I am "other people" and I cannot enjoy a drink as well. One drink and I need two hundred votkas more...

It is 8:20 AM here and in my days I would have been drunk already. But I am not and instead of spending my time vomiting and shaking I have few moments to post on the Sober Recovery with a smile on my face, despite certain hellish issues I am facing on a daily basis.

To answer your questoin - You're like this because you're, most likely, an alcoholic. Or even more likely because you like to drink. Therefore your choice is simple - you can drink and you would spend a lifetime of feeling like crap (I could NOT drink anymore for at least TEN years of my drinking time but had been drinking anyway... hence some knowledge about feeling like crap) or you should decide not to drink and try to enjoy the life.

See the difference? You WANT this drink (that makes you feel like crap) because you are whining, why can't I ENJOY A DRINK?

What you should be asking yourself is why can't I ENJOY THE LIFE?

in_a_pickle 06-29-2007 07:10 AM

Mate, it's not just you. I always used to look at people who could just have a couple of beers and then go home and get really jealous.

I'm going to AA for the first time on Sunday, I'm not a religious person but I would regard myself as spiritual. I'm going to AA because I need help, I can't think beyond that . I don't know very much about the whole Christian side to it all, I'm just going to give it a go.

Good luck.

alldatoys 06-29-2007 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=Tazman53;1389811]alldatoys trust me you are not alone!

I drank for 40 years, after about 30 years I started to realize that I needed to cut back because the booze was starting to control me and create almost daily problems in my life. At first I would limit myself to a 6 pack a day...... I always wanted more when the 6 were gone but I stopped at 6 and dealt with the want for more until the next day. Well the problems dissappeared when I was drinking 6 a day so I figured what the heck, I will drink 8 a day, things stayed good so I upped it to 10.... 12.... etc...... etc..... then the crap would start hitting the fan all over again.

This became a cycle for 4-5 years and there were times after that where I decided hey maybe I just need to quit. So I would tough it out for a week and figure I was doing really good so I would buy a 6 pack..... then a 12 pack...... then a case....., it was a vicous cycle that continued until I reached the point where I HAD TO DRINK EVERY DAY!!!!

I tried every thing under the sun to quit..... except AA!!! Bunch of damn losers, old drunks sitting in rooms talking about how they could not drink any more because they could not handle it! What a bunch of wimps!!!! Spirituality and HP caca!!!

I was finally beaten after 40 years of drinking and trying to control my drinking MY WAY!!!!! The only thing MY WAY had accomplished was to keep me drunk!

QUOTE]

Wow, I have a twin?
Thanks for the advise.

Ready 2 Rock 06-29-2007 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by alldatoys (Post 1389469)
OH and as I read these threads, AA is not for me. Been there, done that. I am not spirtual and that is all I heard.

I, too thought that I could stop by trying alternatives after not liking the AA suggestions. "AA is not for me. What do you mean I'm powerless? I have to go to how many meetings? I have to listen to all this whining?"

IMO every human has a spirit and thus needs to be spiritual to fully experience the short life we are blessed with. To not be spiritual means missing out on one of the greatest gifts of being alive.

Give it another try -- I did and am not regretting it. Been sober over 2 months and things get better all the time.