Notices

why just me

Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am not alone!!!
We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Tom

I've often asked that same question alldatoys. I'm just like you in that I cannot just enjoy a couple of drinks and leave it at that. I do know that I have been sober for 6 days now and have never felt better in my life, just with this forum and a lot of commitment to ending my misery. As far as AA, I haven't tried it this time, but I'm leaving that door open. It seems to have worked for countless people.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ingredients : Big Belly

Thanks Tom. Well tommorrow may be day one again, but not today. I got off work early and magically appeared at my home with a case of beer. Not sure why/how that happens when I told my self this morning I would not drink today. Ugh...

Shock treatment? LOL
Old 06-29-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

6 days, that seems forever right now. I am lucky to get through 6 hours.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

But at least I am realizing it? Not sure if that accounts for anything. I feel I am counting every beer and every opportunity right now.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Tom

I showed up about every single night at home with a six-pack of Miller Lite tallboys, this usually after the bars. Every convenience store clerk in a 10-mile radius knows me by name. Finally, I said enough is enough. I've had a few day 1's myself that didn't end up up being that. Make it a few more days and it's amazing how much better the body and mind feel. Just gotta get through that first day, and then worry about the next.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

alldatoys

How many AA meetings have you gone to???
Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well, probably about 30. I went open minded at first, but grew more bitter after every meeting. I am freakish about some stuff. I just felt like the whole meeting they were tossing god down my throat. My beliefs are quite different.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ok. Four more questions...

Did you go to different meetings at different locations?

Did you go to different types of meetings, ie, Open discussion meetings, Lead Speaker meetings, and Big Book discussion meetings?

Have you ever read the Big Book?

And finally...

Are you really ready to quit?

Tom
Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You're where a lot of us have been. Shock treatment would have been pleasant compared to the **** I went through my last months as a drunk.

Hang in there buddy.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Signal30,

1-yes 3 but mostly at 1

2-just went to the round table "Hi My name is bob, and I am an alcoholic" and I love god meetings. That is all I saw around here.

3-no, never read the book. I am not a book reader. Good book, library book, any book. Did it come out on DVD yet? ... Kidding. But I dont read much.

4- ready to quit. It depends my friend. 99 percent of the time I am ready. I am falling apart. However its that 1 percent that still makes me go buy and consume beer, then its all over. It won. OH and to top if off, I am a brewer so the supplies normally are never a problem.

Today yes, I want to quit.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ok. Thanks for answering. When I first got sober, I got a sponsor on my third day of sobriety. One of the first things he told me was to go to different types of meetings at different locations. That way you meet all different types of people. If you choose to go to a meeting again, ask someone for a "Where and When", or a schedule that has the different types of AA meetings in your area. AA meetings can be hard to find without some kind of helpful direction. You of course can find different meetings in your area online.

By going to Big Book meetings, you read the book as a group and discuss what you have read. This is good for people who do not like to read. It is another way to obtain the information in the book, and it doesnt take long to realize that an inanimate blue book knows you better than any of your friends and family. Also, you can read the book for free on AA's website. The first few chapters are a must to read, and if you read them you will figure out why.

Usually I don't reply to threads like this. I found it frustrating to try to help and explain AA. More often than not some of these threads seem to be defending AA against those who express negitive opinions twards the program. (Which please understand that I am not accusing you of doing this). I have to remind myself that this program doesent work for everybody, and that the primary purpose of me going to AA and working the program is to stay sober.

For me personally there wasn't an easier, softer way.

Good luck, and I'm here to help.

Tom
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

How long did it take you to do the 30 meetings ? Right around 30 days, I would hope.

Maybe you're not ready. There was a time I wanted to quit, and couldn't. That lasted about 2-3 years and was absolute hell on earth. I was ready to do anything at the end of that.

As far as the God thing. Just let it go for now IF you can admit that you can't do this by yourself.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....if you want to hear
not read how to get sober

Check out Amazon on line for audios.
I sugest you find the
Joe & Charlie ones.

Take care..