Coffee Drinker

There goes Taz...

Thump

Thump

Thump

Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL!!!! Sometimes I have to let the book do the talking, I am not an author nor an orator.... but I am SOBER!!!!!

BTW I am almost positive if I had the money she has I would have been pushing daisies long ago, rich drunks have every single problem that us normal drunks have, maybe worse because they do not suffer all the consequences we do financially.

Wife wants a divorce? No sweat! Her have a couple of million and go away!

Wreck my car.... buy another one!

Beat the hell out of some one....... pay them off to where they will drop the charges.

Think about it. Does Earnest Hemingway come to mind? Did you ever hear of him suffering like us normal drunks due to his alcoholism? Nope! He died of it, possibly because he never had a chance to suffer the full brunt of the consequences of his drinking, like any one else with a ton of money, just whip out the wallet and the problems go away with no pain!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

When you discover a prospect for Alcoholics Anonymous, find out all you can about him. If he does not want to stop drinking, don't waste time trying to persuade him. You may spoil a later opportunity. This advice is given for his family also.
Page 90
Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hemingway killed himself because he got electroshock therapy which destroyed his memory and he couldn't write anymore. so not sure what your point is...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I don't think this is about trying to get Ms. Lohan to stop drinking, to "persuade her..." I don't know about you but I haven't hung out with her in a while.

When I originally posted this question over a month ago I was expressing a "compassion" or "sadness" that I felt for a young girl struggling the way I was (with alcohol.) It's hell. Whether you're ready to stop drinking or not, it's hell. I can't personally pass judgment on that.

I know most people here, most everywhere, don't make it sober their "first time."

I wanted to hear other people's thoughts and feelings. It's been an interesting discussion...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I did not get sober first time or countless times I cant say I'll stay sober this time.I'm trying to just make it through today.I dont know if I'll make it back if there's a next time.I know myself pretty well and I'll probally get feeling better get smart and get drunk.But I have this day and it was pretty good.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Yes. I know your thread was not about trying to persuade Ms LL to stop drinking but somewhere aback we seem to have confused the lack of pity to mean the same thing as a lack of empathy .
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Oh semantics, blech!
Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Yes. I know your thread was not about trying to persuade Ms LL to stop drinking but somewhere aback we seem to have confused the lack of pity to mean the same thing as a lack of empathy .
Pity and Empathy ARE the same, or nearly so. Here is the entry from Roget's Thesaurus:

Main Entry: pity
Part of Speech: noun 1
Definition: mercy
Synonyms: benevolence, brotherly love, charity, clemency, comfort, commiseration, compassion, compunction, condolement, condolence, dejection, distress, empathy, favor, fellow feeling, forbearance, goodness, grace, humanity, identification, kindliness, kindness, lenity, melancholy, mercy, philanthropy, quarter, rue, ruth, sadness, solace, sorrow, sympathy, tenderness, understanding, unselfishness, warmth, yearning

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/pity
Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I will not dispute the dictionary definitions with you, nor will I dispute the subtle differences in the words we use everyday to impart a specific meaning or feeling but empathy is the only word I have in my limited vocabulary to express the fact that although I do not pity Ms. Lohan I can "identify and understand" what she is experiencing.

If you can offer up another word to convey these subtle meanings I will happily use it , in the meantime "empathy" is the only one I have.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Think about it. Does Earnest Hemingway come to mind? Did you ever hear of him suffering like us normal drunks due to his alcoholism? Nope! He died of it, possibly because he never had a chance to suffer the full brunt of the consequences of his drinking, like any one else with a ton of money, just whip out the wallet and the problems go away with no pain!
Are you being serious or jocular?

"Just whip out the wallet and the problems go away with no pain?" I thought ours is a disease that does not discriminate? A carpenter or a hedge fond manger, black or white, woman or a man, we all sufer (if and as drunks) the same way.

As far as Ernest Hemingway is in question, "his alcoholism brought on hypertension, kidney and liver diseases, edema of the ankles, high blood urea, mild diabetes mellitus and possibly hemochromatosis, recurrent muscle cramps, chronic sleeplessness and sexual impotence" (source: Kenneth Lynn: "Hemingway", new biography)
Old 08-03-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wozzeck what I am talking about with the rich and alcoholism or drug addicition is that the pain from thier drinking is not as drastic financially as it is for normal alcoholics.

Some of us normal folks hit bottom far quicker due to financial hardships due to our drinking, with the rich some of them take longer to hit bottom because of thier money.

You are right, our disease does not discriminate, the point I am trying to make is that some rich folks have to suffer far more physical & mental issues to hit bottom then some of us that are not well to do.

As you pointed out, Hemingway may have hit a real bottom if he had not had the money to cover many of the problems of drinking. Sadly his health went to hades in a hand basket which I would imagine played a huge role in his suicide. I do not recall the figures, but a huge percentage of alcoholics commit suicide.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

From what I've seen, a lot of those luxury Hollywood rehab centers cater to the celebrities. The celebrities have big money that they dump into these rehabs, and because of this I think the basic principals to help those to get sober get weak.

The fancy rehabs don't want to upset the high profile, HIGH PAYING customers. How do you think those rehabs they go to can afford all the expensive building, on the land with the overpriced Malibu property value, filled with expensive furniture?

Now combine that with her not being ready to quit, not taking her sobriety seriously, and society seeing young celebrities with addiction and alcohol problems as being "normal", maybe even going as far as even saying it as being socially acceptable, I can understand why she doesnt want to get sober.

But by no means should those be excuses to her actions. Maybe she will hit bottom, take serious action, get and remain sober.

Or maybe she won't. As we all know this disease plays no favorites. If she chooses to do nothing she will become a statistic. That big money that pays for the luxury rehab, will possibly be that same money that pays for the box they will put her in. That is of course if she doesn't go broke from her addiction first.

Tom