Notices

well it's saturday,and i want to drink

Old 05-17-2003, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well it's saturday,and i want to drink

what have you used to kill that desire and stop yourself from picking up a drink?it would be sooo easy right now to pull a beer from the fridge and feel that feeling and let 'the process"begin.Or i could resist,but iam weak and it is stronger than me.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have phone numbers or access to the AA hotline? It helps to talk with people who've been in your shoes.If you haven't considered AA yet,it would be a good time to make that call.If you feel that AA isn't the answer for you,feel free to just post and talk with the people here.We're a pretty supportive bunch.

You may want to try some chocolate or hard candy to fend off the actual alcohol craving.The sugar will help.Also, you can reach inside and look for the interests that you have that don't involve drinking.Maybe a trip to a garden center or just doing some yard work would help.Reading and/or writing in a journal works for a lot of us.The main thing is to move your thinking in a healthy direction.The urge to drink is temporary...it does pass.Often if you can refocus just for 15 minutes, the thought of drinking will fade.

Kep posting.You can get through this and you don't have to do it alone.

phoenix
Old 05-17-2003, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Well, the first thing I would do is get the beer out of the fridge and out of the house. And if there is anyother alchol around, get rid of that too. The cravings will leave. Dont dwell on them. Hang out with sober people in sober places. Stay busy.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

one problem i have is i live with alcoholics,so that compounds the problem.you see i'm just trying to get back on my feet and they are helping me,as i am broke with nowhere else to go at the moment.i don't have the money to move out right now and i start a new job on monday,so it will be a while before i'm financially able to move out.they always have plenty of booze in the house and i'm always welcome to it,not good.it's going to take an iron will and god almighty himself to get me through this,as temptation is always staring me in the face whispering it's poisonous lies in my ear.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

You just said it, 'it is going to take an Iron will and God Almighty himself to get me through this' If that is what it takes then that is what you will have to do. I repeat, you need to hang out with sober people in sober places.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Call the AA hotline and find out if there is a sober clubhouse in your area.This is a place where people can hang out together,play cards and just talk.Sometimes they may put on social gatherings such as picnics and dances.Membership is dirt cheap(10 bucks a month in my area) and often the first month is free.Even without membership you are usually welcome before and after meetings for an hour or so.And I have never heard of a newcomer being turned away for lack of cash.You'll get to know people who live a sober lifestyle.It will give you some time away from the drinking environment until you get on your feet.

Good luck...you are already doing the right thing by posting here.

phoenix
Old 05-17-2003, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Saturday drinking temptations

Hello Kindablue: Indeed weekends are the traditional time for drinking for a lot of us. When I was newly abstinent I made a point of planning weekend activities in advance. I would go to a play or a movie or a musical recital. I would book these in advance and pay for them. Hence when the thought of drinking came up, I simply reminded myself that I had a paid up activity to do that evening. Once I settled into the activity, I felt really good, and enjoyrd it as well. By the time it was over, I lost the urge to drink and simply went home to a restfull nights sleep. You could also go to an AA meeting if that is of your liking. Good luck and good planning!
Old 05-17-2003, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jerry,Kindablue.Welcome.

Hanging out with people who drink is never a good idea when we are trying to quit.It is up to us to try and do everything within our power to find a safer environment to place ourselves.

It may be that circumstances dictate that we are unable to move from where we are,but in that case it would mean that my vigilance would have to be even greater and I would try and get involved with a progressive group of other recovering alcoholics like Alcoholics Anonymous.

Phoenix has made some excellent suggestions and just asJerry said sometimes all we may have is a strong faith in our Higher Power and a determination to hang on through the difficult times.

Peter.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Blue,

Hope you made it through the weekend. I can relate to trying to get sober while alcohol is every where. My hubby who is a musician and
very light drinker always keeps the stuff around the house for the guys when they come over for rehersal. I was truly pissed this weekend when rehersal lasted all weekend and I had to deal with "the guys in the band" and the smell of booze in the studio all weekend. Arghhhhh.... but ****, I hung in there, went for my walk, took hubby's credit card and went shopping , AFTER my 3rd AA meeting

Hang in there, keep strong!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well i gave in and drank.promising myself that beacause i'm starting a new job in which i want to do well in...i'll just rip it up this one last weekend and get sober and stay that way on monday.well i started my job today,after work i stopped and got some beer and drank.when will it end?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Well you gave into the demon this weekend with good intentions. I KNOW it is hard, I made so many promises to myself, and would always justify it with a reward. Keep coming back here. Keep trying. How hard are you willing to work to get what YOU want? You know what you have to do and you WILL do it when your ready and not before then.

Just don't wait to long. Try a meeting, get the book , but try to do something positive and informative this week to help you reach your final decision. I know the despair your feeling of not being able to control the cravings. God do I know. I am only 14 days sober and it's going to take a lot of hard work.

I am not going to say discipline, will power, etc. because I have none of that, it failed me before. You'll quit when your sick and tired of being sick and tired.... seems like your almost there. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Latch on to your 'puter and start talking before you take that next drink, the craving will pass and you'll be better off!

Try to make it one hour at a time until you get to 24, then try it again... Please just try it. In the mean time I am sending you a big ***hug*** sometimes thats all we need!

Stay in touch and keep coming back!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Well you gave into the demon this weekend with good intentions. I KNOW it is hard, I made so many promises to myself, and would always justify it with a reward. Keep coming back here. Keep trying. How hard are you willing to work to get what YOU want? You know what you have to do and you WILL do it when your ready and not before then.

Just don't wait to long. Try a meeting, get the book , but try to do something positive and informative this week to help you reach your final decision. I know the despair your feeling of not being able to control the cravings. God do I know. I am only 14 days sober and it's going to take a lot of hard work.

I am not going to say discipline, will power, etc. because I have none of that, it failed me before. You'll quit when your sick and tired of being sick and tired.... seems like your almost there. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Latch on to your 'puter and start talking before you take that next drink, the craving will pass and you'll be better off!

Try to make it one hour at a time until you get to 24, then try it again... Please just try it. In the mean time I am sending you a big ***hug*** sometimes thats all we need!

Stay in touch and keep coming back!