Notices

A gift from the wreakage of the past

Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

A gift from the wreakage of the past

I spent this weekend in a program for drunk drivers. I had to do this to get my licence back. The course was very well done. No accusing or confrontation, very gentle and in a bucolic setting. (the incident was over three years ago)

The goal was for people to take time and examine their use of alcohol and decide for themselves if they have a problem or not and if so how to seek help.

For me it was a gift, I was able to see so very clearly my drinking patterns over my entire life and for me, how I was really out of control for so very long and didn't even know it. Not a clue.

It was like being in a room full of human mirrors, each reflecting back to me some period frozen in my past.

The thing that was so very humbiling was that several men there came to me asking for advice. They wanted to know how I did it. What a gift.

I am just grateful today
Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazing isn't it ? The kind of "true power" that we can obtain in AA. The power to understand and to help others.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

They wanted to know how I did it.
It's sper that you really DO know!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when other fail. Remember they are very ill.
A little 12th stepping Groucho!!!! Excellent, we do stand apart at times when we extend the hand of AA.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Attraction not promotion-obviously you are attractive and it shows.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drove around for 9 years without a license. 7 of them I was sober, but of course not in good recovery. I had been sober the other two years but had a slip over a weekend and then jumped back into the program for awhile, then just stayed dry. Anyway when I got tired of being so fearful, I called the DMV to inquire how and when I might be able to get my license back. They said," Mr BP44, you were eligible to get your license 4 years ago, you just have to take a DUI course" I was the only sober person in the class. This is a perfect example of what fear does to us when we aren't working the program. Had I been working with a sponsor I probably could have alleviated the anxiety of driving around without a license all those years and done something about it sooner. I eventually would drink again which lasted for 4 years. I don't know how I avoided a DUI during my relapse. Within our secrets lie our disease. By the way, I always had insurance. The things we will do!!!!!