Notices

Going to AA

Old 06-23-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to AA

Okay guys...After putting off going to my first meeting for a whole week I'm about go. I guess I'm nervous and that's why I'm posting. I'm worried about finding it...it's in some church. Hmmmm. But what's the worst that can happen? I don't find it, right?

haha...sorry I sound really strange right now.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

About to walk out the door...god why is it so nerve racking??? okay. I'll be back here tonight I'm sure.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck at your first AA meeting.

Don't worry about it being at a church. I believe you will find many of the good old time AA meetings are still held at churches. It may have something to do with the fact that at the onset of AA the church was the only ones who would have anything to do with us alkies
Old 06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super Hugs!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Good luck. It's only nervewracking because it's your first time. Get in and get it over with and you'll be fine .
Old 06-23-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is wonderful news!!! Tomorrow, when you wake up sober, you can tell someone who comes to their first meeting, how you stayed sober today. When I was told that by my first sponsor, it was eyeopening. "What, you mean just because I stayed sober and went to a meeting I can be useful?" He said, " Yes, you may not have much to give away, but you can tell the newcomer that you stayed sober by not drinking and going to a meeting" I hope I never forget him telling me that.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck! I found the meetings to be extremely helpful. The members are down to earth, caring and understanding.

I wish I would have went to a meeting tonight!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I heard an old timer at an AA mtg. say that the 1st step really should be "shut up and get in the car." You've done that. Now just keep doing it because it DOES work if YOU Work it.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You'll probably be home before you get to read this. I just got back from my 3rd in 3 days. Let us know how it went for you.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish i could buy you a perfect dinner, to celebrate with you a courageous, intelligent decision you're making. I have so much respect for people like you, who act in a way to better themselves, and create a better world. It's not easy, but it's important and necessary, and i can't think of a better definition of Courage than that.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone...I really appreciate all you support! It means a lot and it's werid that I was a little surprised how many people were there...and how many "normal" people I had this fear I'd walk into the room and no one would be there or that I'd be lost roaming a church (I didn't have a problem with the "church" part/more getting lost in one)

It was scary as hell right before I walked in but the woman who shared was so funny, warm and down to earth. Is it strange that I already know the serenity prayer and i loved it when i first heard it? ...I didn't know it was at the end of the AA meetings!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

My home group does the Serenity Prayer in the beginning...

that tickled me ... getting lost in a church.
Too many spooky movies, I guess.

I'm so glad you followed through.

I think you're going to be amazed just how many of the people in those rooms speak, and tell parts of your own story.

What a great way to end my work week.
thank YOU!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah mon!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

MPS,

Since you are in a large metro area, you are going to find a lot of meetings, and a lot of people in those meetings. Not every group says the serenity prayer at the end, some don't say it at all. This is governed by a group conscious that decides how to run their particular group's meetings.

If you don't like a certain group, try different groups.

Here is a great link I give to everyone for their first AA meeting:

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...0AA%20Meetings
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
crazinclean

I went to my first AA meeting last week just to see what it was like and I have to admit I was very nervous. It turned out fine and everyone was really friendly. I think I'll go again tomorrow.
I've decided this morning that last night will be the last night for me. I've tried to stop many times before but always come up with a good reason by the end of the day why it's not a problem. I hate how my mind can be so convinced in the moring that quiting would be a good idea and by the evening I decide I'm fine. I think part of the reason it's difficult for me to stop is that I drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine per night, which I see a lot of people do, and I think maybe it's normal. Or it's okay. But then I realize that if it's interferring with my life at all I should not be doing it. Plus my father, step-father, grandmother and grandfather are all alcoholics. Their lives were and are a mess.
I'm responding to this post because I can identify with a lot of what's being said but also because I can't figure out how to post a new post.
Can anyone help me with that?
Also, I'm going on vacation in a few weeks to the Carribean and drinking is such a huge part of these trips. Any advise?
Thanks