Notices

Some Progress

Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some Progress

I just want to share a little something.

I think I'm making some progress.

Earlier in the week I was having trouble with acceptance. I read the story in the BB about the doctor alcoholic/drug addict. I believe the story is "acceptance is the answer". I'm going to try and paraphrase the main point of the story:

"I've now come to believe that acceptance is the answer to all my problems.... When I'm unhappy, it's usually because I find some person, place, thing or situation to be unacceptable to me. Until I can accept that person, place, thing or situation, I will not have serenity or peace".

Also, I stopped checking my work email when I'm not at work. This does wonders for my emotional well being. Today is a great example... My boss sent an urgent email in ALL CAPS ABOUT SOME MISTAKE THAT I MUST HAVE MADE...... Two hours later he sent an apology because it was actually a mistake that he made. I read both at the same time, when I arrived at work, and I saved myself two hours of worry, misery and stress. I even had a inner giggle about it.

So tonight, I held a staff party at work with an open bar. I was the guest bartender for the night, which allowed me to make sure nobody was forgetting to keep track of the "free" drinks. People got pretty wasted, but I didn't have any urges or cravings. At the end of the function, I gave them all one last round of shots. They toasted to me as "the best boss ever". This made me feel really good. They are sweet kids who are young and living life.... There was a time when I could drink like they do, but that time is long past... I can accept I'm an alcoholic, and I can still run a drinking establisment.

Some people said some things that bothered me earlier this week. I let it bounce off me. I'm getting better at not letting other people dictate how I feel.

Anyway, I'm thankful that it's the weekend. I'm thankful that I am home. I'm thankful that I'm sober.

Most of all, I'm thankful for the peace and serenity I feel at this moment. God has truly blessed me. I wish you all the best. Thanks for letting me share.
chip
Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

thanks Chip -
it's page 417 BB (the 'acceptance is the key' thing)

I've got it blown up, and taped to my fridge.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup.

It's in the serenity prayer too.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

My sponsor quotes that passage to me often.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Awwww that is right for the third edition, but not so in the forth! LOL

Chip that is awesome, acceptance of a lot of things and action where it can be taken are so key to recovery.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I used to scream that passage at the ceiling, inserting my own adjectives as I saw fit

It works. It really does. Thanks for sharing, Chip.

Peace & Love,
Sugah