Notices

many avenues

Old 05-15-2003, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

many avenues

I have been browsing this site for a couple of months and have come to the conclusion that it is quite helpfull in dealing with addictions. I like the idea that there are several methods in dealing with the problem, whether it be AA, RR, or SOS(Secular order of Sobriety), or a combination of any modalities. I like to think that recovery is a buffet table, and one chooses to fill their plate with what works. Some people prefer ongoing meetings for a lifetime, while others simply make up their minds to stop at once. Other people choose to reinvent their life and go in another direction. For instance, my neighbor had a big drinking and smoking problem three years ago. I took her down to my squash club and introduced her to the game. She fell in love with it, quit drinking and smoking, and now she is ranked in the top ten in my province for her age and category. Of course, this is not the norm, but it proved effective for her. I do not believe that addictions are a bonafide disease, but one can become very acclimitised to them as a lifestyle....perhaps a negative habit. And some habits are difficult to break. So whatever works, good for you.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Turner,
I would like to echo your sentiments. Each individual has to find what works for him/her and though one technique may be perfect and suitable for me, it may be foreign and unhelpful to another. I find that many people, who have found what works well for them, are very excited by this and wish to spread the word. What is important in doing so is to remember to be nonjudgmental of those to whom you wish to spread this word. I practice AVRT from RR. That does not mean that mine is the only or best way. This is an important insight that I am glad to see that you started a thread for.
To each his own.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good points tuner.Although I do not agree with some of it I can certainly relate to the "buffet table " idea.

Peter.