Notices

I'll put this out

Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'll put this out

I just read Carol87's "Loners" post. It was the first thing I saw when i came on tonight. I just put my wife in an ambulance, and I came on here, and I don't know how to reach out to people. I'm forcing myself to write this. It's quarter to midnight here in the UK. I could phone my sponsor - I have no qualms about it. I could phone any number of people in the fellowship. If I asked them, they would come here. I have no reservations about phoning them, but I don't want to phone them because I feel calm and accepting, and I know that nothing bad has happened, and I don't need them right now. But at the same time, there's a part of me that resists reaching out, and there's a part of me that doesn't know how. I mean, really doesn't know how.

Say a wee prayer for my wife, Julie. She has epilepsy as a result of a brain tumour, successfully removed in 05. She had a bad seizure last night and another one tonight. This has never happened to her before. She's scared. I love her very much. I'm very grateful that I got sober and I'm not a liability to her. She says I make her feel safe. That means a lot to me. It means a lot that I can be a steady presence for her. It means everything. It's real amends. I just wish she didn't have to be sick for me to make them.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Paul, you and Julie will be in my thoughts tonight. You're a steady presence for everyone on these boards too, and a real inspiration to me in staying sober. I hope and pray you and J. can get through this OK.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Paul Prayers are with you.
She didn't have to get sick for you to need get clean that just happen to be the thing that happens in life that triggered you into finding the way out.
The joy you feel when she says you make her feel safe. When we don't reach out to others who are willing and waiting to help (even if we don't need it), by us not reaching out we are taking joy from them that they could have with our asking for a listening ear or a little support.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You and your wife are in my thoughts and in my prayers.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there's a part of me that resists reaching out, and there's a part of me that doesn't know how. I mean, really doesn't know how.
Nail....head......that's me. You're not alone, in more ways than one

((((Paul))))

Hey, guys hug guys in AA all the time.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
(((Paul & Julie))) Yep, you get a hug from this guy too, and you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Many times I wish I could've been a steady presence for my ex, I'm very grateful that I've got the chance to be that for my children, my girlfriend, my family, and my friends in AA.

Glad that you posted. Thank you for being a constant inspiration on these boards.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope your wife is okay. Thank you for reaching out
Old 06-14-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

(((Paul & Julie)))

I know exactly what you mean, paul. I can totally relate to being okay, but still wishing...just that I could reach out.

I was told everything gets easier with practice and that it's in the trying.

Many prayers for you and your wife tonight.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Paul... thoughts and prayers going out for your wife and for you as well .
Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((Paul and Julie))))
Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

thinking of you both
D
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts to you both. I'm glad you reached out.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
I just read Carol87's "Loners" post. It was the first thing I saw when i came on tonight. I just put my wife in an ambulance, and I came on here, and I don't know how to reach out to people. I'm forcing myself to write this. It's quarter to midnight here in the UK. I could phone my sponsor - I have no qualms about it. I could phone any number of people in the fellowship. If I asked them, they would come here. I have no reservations about phoning them, but I don't want to phone them because I feel calm and accepting, and I know that nothing bad has happened, and I don't need them right now. But at the same time, there's a part of me that resists reaching out, and there's a part of me that doesn't know how. I mean, really doesn't know how.

Say a wee prayer for my wife, Julie. She has epilepsy as a result of a brain tumour, successfully removed in 05. She had a bad seizure last night and another one tonight. This has never happened to her before. She's scared. I love her very much. I'm very grateful that I got sober and I'm not a liability to her. She says I make her feel safe. That means a lot to me. It means a lot that I can be a steady presence for her. It means everything. It's real amends. I just wish she didn't have to be sick for me to make them.
So your wife is in an ambulance on her way to the hospital and you decide to hop on the computer. What is wrong with this picture?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Julie. I hope she feels better very soon.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by TriciaW View Post
So your wife is in an ambulance on her way to the hospital and you decide to hop on the computer. What is wrong with this picture?

Nothing that I see. Reaching out for prayers and support I see as being very important.
First things First and prayer is always on the short list for me. I have seen the results.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
But at the same time, there's a part of me that resists reaching out, and there's a part of me that doesn't know how. I mean, really doesn't know how.

I am the same way Paul, love and best wishes to you and your wife.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Thoughts and Prayers going your way for you and your wife, Paul.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just saw this ... ((( Sending prayers ))) glad the Loners post was valuable to you ... keep us updated on how your wife gets along ...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Prayers for you and your wife Paul...take care bud.

PR
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*prayers*

just another perspective ...

You did just reach out. And we're here.

Your HP made sure you were able to be there for Julie when she now most needs the presence and support. Because now - you are able.

You didn't make anyone sick, you're making yourself better.