Notices

Can't sleep

Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Can't sleep

which is weird for me...I'm a champion sleeper. Got some bad news today, I guess that's whats bothering me..I haven't been hitting meetings since last week and I'm sure that's not helping. Starting to worry again bout everything..part of me thinks its just the adjustment to having A living here, delayed reaction? The long days now that I'm unemployed? Just not feeling too right with the world lately..getting that "oh well" feeling like do I really have to go to meetings? Wanting to get the heck out of the house..and go where??
Old 06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hugs

Here is a link...

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

I hear reading the BB puts some people to sleep.

Blessings
Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're depressed to me. So, get out and do something, anything. Like look for a job, and let the world alone. You can't do anything about anything anyway. Most importantly, GET YOU BUTT TO A MEETING.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not a whole lot to add to what Music said, get to more meetings, if you are not working then meetings are more important then ever and can give you some great leads on possible jobs.

I would suggest what I had suggested to me when I was looking for work.

Treat your job hunt like a job! Get up at 7AM every morning, grab the paper, check out the want ads. Do not email or snail mail resumes or fill out job apps on line, go to the place you hope to get a job at and put that resume or job application right into the person doing the hiring hand! You will stand out doing this, they will see you are not like the others, you are willing to get off your butt and seek a job.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tend to agree taz. I think that too many people today focus on the E-mail or even faxing method of applying for jobs.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

take the signs and get back to meetings, merlot. this disease likes to trick people, so don't take any chances.

blessings, k
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tiburon there are a few places that will only let you apply on line or email a resume, but in the cases where they don't I found I got hired mainly because I was there face to face, hard to ignore some one as ugly as me asking for a job!!! LOL
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, I am probably a little depressed. I've been doing a lot of online resume stuff. My ex has given me an in at the place where he works, I used to work there a long time ago before I had kids. Right up the road, we could carpool (isn't life funny??) and good benefits.

I'm overwhelmed by all of A's stuff still not put away, trying to find a place for it, planning a budget, getting the kids rooms set up for all of them (6 all together between the two of us).

I really have to make my sobriety a priority, and lately I haven't been doing that..meeting tonight.

Thanks all.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I heard something in church the other day. "Getting and not giving, is like existing and not living." Like the Big Book says, "Nothing so ensures our sobriety like working with another alcoholic." I can't just sit around and expect to be happily sober. I have to get out and work a job, go to meetings and share myself with others. Sitting in front of a computer typing may help some, but it's not the answer.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All great advice above.....

On a different approach, purely physical, if I seem to have a bit of trouble falling asleep with something trivial on the mind, I tend to focus on my breathing. Physically, we sleep with deeper, slower breaths. I will mentally focus on slowing my breathing down and breathing in & out slower, deeper and longer. Not only does this take my mind off of whatever negative thought I may be having at the moment, but puts my body into a ready for sleep mode. Works every time for me.

Sometimes it's difficult to find a midnight meeting and sometimes others loose patience with the 1 am call about a hurt feeling or thought that might be seen as trivial.

What I am commenting on is just a momentary fix, not something I would suggest every night of the week. The next morning after a good nights rest is the time to focus on the issue, in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Both before and after my back surgury when I was in pain I would listen to a meditation CD.

It helped me fall asleep.

Ted
Old 06-12-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by merlotmamma View Post
I really have to make my sobriety a priority, and lately I haven't been doing that..meeting tonight.
Ding! Correct answer. I know it's easier said than done. But get back into those meetings and they'll definitely help you.

Originally Posted by ~Troy~ View Post
On a different approach, purely physical, if I seem to have a bit of trouble falling asleep with something trivial on the mind, I tend to focus on my breathing. Physically, we sleep with deeper, slower breaths. I will mentally focus on slowing my breathing down and breathing in & out slower, deeper and longer. Not only does this take my mind off of whatever negative thought I may be having at the moment, but puts my body into a ready for sleep mode. Works every time for me.
I was taught that by one of my therapists about a year ago. It worked for me. When I get into my insomniac habits I'm willing to try anything to get to sleep.

I know the "I need to get out of here" feeling all too well. That's pretty much the story of my life. Things start to get ****** and I want to bail and just run away. I never know where I'd like to run away to, but yeah. I understand. I'm slowly learning to just face things head on and stop trying to run away. Running doesn't do any good.

I just saw this on the side and it made me laugh
Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Went to a meeting tonight. There was a woman speaker, and I was looking forward to it..thinking that I would identify more..usually I feel so good after a meeting, but I didn't tonight.

I see the signs. I am getting depressed.

I have always had a difficult time, that when something that I really really want finally comes to fruition, when I finally have what I want..then I somehow feel let down. Having A here is great..and scary.

I'm going to a meeting tomorrow during the day..maybe a discussion one..I gotta figure out what my motives are.

Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have always had a difficult time, that when something that I really really want finally comes to fruition, when I finally have what I want..then I somehow feel let down.
I don't know what I want. I think I do sometimes. But when I'm depressed, I ask myself " Is there really anything I could buy or have that would change this feeling ?" The answer is always NO.

I'm learning to just do the footwork, do the next best thing, and let things unfold as they may. I'm usually pleasantly surprised.

Edit: One more thing. I was talking with another A today about depression. A theory we share is we are finally experiencing loss and grief that we buried when we were drinking.