Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Me - Miss Anti-AA, has a sponsor and I'm so fricking excited!

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, today is day 13 for me and I went to AA in Laramie yesterday. It was only my 3rd meeting in as many weeks, but it was a turning point for me. It was the largest meeting I've been to yet, although it was still only about 20 people. Lots of new faces (not new people, just new faces to me). The lady that sat next to me has been sober for six years. She just returned from a trip to Europe where she and her husband cycled 500 miles across Germany, Hungary, Slovakia and a bunch of other places. She said she never rode in the van once! She was the only non-drinker in a group of 26 people. When she couldn't handle everyone drinking, she just went to her room. She told me she had had a DUI, got in trouble at work, embarrased her family by being falling down drunk, and even put gatorade in her whiskey (no, not whiskey in her gatorade) because she was convinced that made drinking healthy! She must be in her late 50's or so and I'd sure like to be as physically fit as she is. Talk about incentive!

However, the most exciting part of the meeting for me was the girl who chaired the meeting. I'm guessing she's younger than my youngest daughter and I was so impressed with her. She's maybe 25, maybe not even that old. After the meeting, she asked if I had a sponsor and gave me her phone number. Lots of people have given me their numbers (and I have a phone list) but she's the first to mention sponsorship, probably because I don't live there and can't attend often. I actually found it hard to ask, in case I misunderstood, but when I asked her if she was offering to be my sponsor, and she said yes, I was on Cloud 9. Me - the person who never wanted to go to AA, is an agnostic, and am so sure I can do this by myself ----I haven't been that excited in forever. I thought about it all the way home and all evening. I can hardly wait to do this!!! There's something about having someone to relate to, one-on-one, that can get to know you, rather than just calling someone that doesn't have much background on you, etc., to talk to and confide in and be accountable to, blah, blah, blah, that is exciting to me. It feels like having a new friend.

I asked her if it was a problem for her that I could only attend a meeting every week or two and she said it was no problem at all. She also said that if I was in Laramie at a time that there wasn't a meeting, to call and we'd go out for coffee. I plan to call her today and get started on whatever it is one does with a sponsor.

This has happened at a good time for me. My oldest daughter, an alcoholic and crack and meth addict, is in jail. She's the mother of my 21 month old grandson,Jeremiah,whom I have custody of. Get this! She was pulled over for not wearing her seatbelt and subsequently arrested for an outstanding warrant for "failure to appear" in court in May 2006. Her court appearance was for taking Jeremiah away from her, so she fled the state with him instead of going to court. Oh, well. The new State took him away anyway and here we are in this mess today! She's been in jail for three days now with no bond. I think she finally goes before the Judge today and I don't know what's going to happen. I suppose that for now, it's a good place for her to be. When I saw her a week or so ago, she was obviously using meth. Her face is covered with open sores, she's shaking so bad I'm sure she's going through withdrawals between fixes and she's just a mess! I'm actually not terribly upset over the whole thing because we've been doing this since she was 15. I'm so used to it, that I just shake my head and realize it's outside of my control. But - it still makes me want to drink so I'm glad to have someone I can talk to and work through the whole thing.

So - here I am, going from the AA hater to being thrilled to be a part of it. This is the last thing I EVER thought I'd be saying here or anywhere.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad to know you are willing to give AA a try and I hope things with your new sponsor works out.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great news Nanita!!!!

I am so happy that you are sharing your journey of recovery with us. I remember when you first came here and how you felt towards AA and I can relate to the relief that comes over when we dismantle barriers and defenses....the surrender.

Your post is a powerful reminder and inspires me today. Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really happy for you. Congrats on your 13 days, i know how hard it is.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's just wonderful, Nanita!

I'm so glad the meeting went so well and you got a sponsor you can relate to. Looks like it's time for me to go, too.

Congratulations on the 13 days and taking such a big step!

P
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

Good for you!!!
I know for me, AA teaches me how to "live". There is so much more to it than just putting the drink down. I am so happy for you that you are experiencing this miracle-
WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Nanita, I was Mr. Anti-AA lol! I am on day 11 myself and started going to meetings for the first time on day 1.
I am glad you are getting into it all and have found a sponsor
Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

glad to hear it is all working out... that's great!

Levi
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. I love all the support here and I really am going to make this work. You know, I thought I was going to have a problem with the Lord's Prayer at the end of the meeting, but even that doesn't bother me. Yesterday's topic was Step 6, so the conversation was all about God. I expressed my feelings about not knowing if I believe there's a God or not, and not liking Him very much if there is one. No one was offended and several people commented to me about it, and I found there insight very interesting. Many of them started out with the same beliefs that I have and changed over time. Perhaps that will happen to me as well.

Paul - get on that bicycle and get to a meeting, okay? We can do this together!

Stone, being new to AA and, like me, anti-AA, I'm anxious to hear how you feel after 30 days or so.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Nanita, I have talked a bit about my experiences in a thread called 'Bottoms'

Basically so far I am liking it! Lets compare notes at 30 days or so, I too am agnostic as well. If I found out that sacrificing chickens kept me sober I would do it!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stone, you gave me a huge smile for the day - sacrificing chickens! However, I feel the same way. I've never searched for a particular thread - can I do a search for "Bottoms"? I'd love to compare notes at 30 days or so. Let's do it!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi nanita, yea you can search for 'bottoms' it is in the 'newcomers' forum anyway, you should find it easy
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

AA is the only thing that works for me!

Chickens indeed!

Ted
Old 06-06-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey nanita and stone,

Welcome to the club with the highest dues - AA.

For agnostics, or anyone else, I love to point out what we say in the promises:

"that God could and would if he were sought".

And in step 2:

"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity".

Notice that the bolded words above are not "found" and "believed".

Its about the journey, not the destination.

Keep posting, I am pulling for you. Feel free to email or IM anytime. Stone if you kill those chickens I'll cook 'em!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Congrats on the sponsor!

'chickens' stone!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is great news!!! When I was finally ready to get a sponsor AND work with a sponsor, I found a different kind of hope than I had ever experienced before. I was convinced for a long time that I didn't really need a sponsor. The ones I had gotten I didn't do the work with them. I did all the steps in my head and went on my merry way. And eventually drank again. This time is different. We just finished going over my unmanageability list the other night. Step one is meaning more than it ever did before for some reason. I talk to him daily, and am honest about what is going on good and bad, and I follow his suggestions. It is amazing what willingness and surrender will do for us.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
let it grow!

doing the next right thing feels good! congrats, k
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Stone if you kill those chickens I'll cook 'em!
Cool!!! I will eat the chickens!!!! Especially if it helps keep me sober!!!! LOL

Nanita and Stone thank you both for giving me a BIG Smile!!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Listen and Learn. Sponsors Rock! So great to hear that you are ready for a different way. Your grandson will benefit.