Notices

What type of withdrawl symptons?

Old 05-13-2003, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

What type of withdrawl symptons?

My question is about withdrawl from acohol. Today will be my husband's first day sober, he has decided to quit drinking. But, I am worried, because I really don't know what to expect.
He doesn't want to go to AA meetings, because he is NOT a religious person. Are there any other treatments that do not include religion?
Also, what kind of withdrawl symptons can I expect, and is there anything that I can do to help him thru this?
Thank you for all of your advice!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Skyfairy,

Though only 7 days sober myself, I applaud your committment to be supportive of your husband. I had the same attitude about AA as your husband. ( The religious issue) But I temporarily overlooked that step and began going to these sites. If he is truly commmitted to quiting which is extremly difficult for him right now, I'd suggest he visit this site and scroll the boards. He need not reply, he simply has to read, and read and he will see himself over and over again through thousands of people. I feel there are clones of me out there. Same story, same emotions,same anger, and above all scared to death we can't do it!

I assure you he will learn to become more curious about AA as did I, (I ordered the books you hear about and am anxiously awaiting their arrival). But in my opinion this will only happen when he has simply gotten gut serious about quitting. I've been an alcoholic for over 20 years, and this is my first serious attempt. I AM doing it one day at a time. Those are the powerful words that I've been living by this past week. We have to achieve simple goals in order to recover.

He need not be religious or a bible thumper to achieve this! He will find a something more powerful then himself to help him achieve his goal, and maybe eventually he will find peace in a more secular attempt to help him recover.

It is wonderful that your their for him but understand he's going to go through some emotional and physical changes. Just be there to help him get through those "white-knuckle " periods. My husband of 23 years has always been there for me, often disgusted with me but still there.

Best of luck, as bad as you want to do it for him, want to do anything to help him do it, remember, he must do this hellish journey for himself.... yet not alone!

Peace to you and yours
Old 05-13-2003, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!

Alcohol withdrawal can be the most dangerous form of substance withdrawal around. I encourage your husband to review his consumption with his doctor to learn if stopping cold turkey is a good idea. For me, detox in a chemical dependency unit was required. OK, enough of the scary part.

AA does not require the belief in a religious group. I suggest you get a copy of AA's Big Book and have your husband read the chapter called We Agnostics. It will become clear that the only belief required is one in a Higher Power. You will see in the 12 Steps that the HP is referred to as "God, as we understand Him". The concept of an HP is very important.

I tried to quit drinking based on my will power alone. I even attended AA meetings but did not prescribe to the real steps of the program. It DID NOT work. I am now in AA again and this time I am participating. It is only with the admission that a HP can guide me through sobriety that I am able to sucessfully quit drinking.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Skysfairy,

Hi, I attend AA and NA meetings.

Neither one is considered to be religious. They talk about a higher power in the meetings. A higher Power can be anything that any particular person makes it. You choose your own higher power.

I use GOD as mine, however, many people do not. In the past I used the AA meeting group as a higher power. This is to say that a group of sober people is a lot better then my own sick mind.

At one time I used my sponsor as my higher power. My sponsor is someone I can talk to about anything. It does take some time to be able to trust someone to this point. My sponsor has more sober time then I do and has a lot of good answers for my questions. In my mind, this makes my sponsor not necessarily better then me, but more like a better role model.

I could give you a list of symptoms of withdrawel which I suffered and I could add a few that I have heard around the rooms. It would be a lot easier if you would be willing to give some background information on your husband.
How many years did he drink? What did he drink? How many days a week did he drink? How many drinks a day would he have?

The more he drank probably the worse the withdrawels will be.

Good Luck, and don't forget to take care of yourself.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Skysfairy,

This sounds very similar to the way I once was, however, I drank more during the week. I have to tell you that abusing alcohol for this length of time and quantities may require medical attention for withdrawel symptoms. I have to admit my withdrawel from alcohol was pretty serious. I needed medical attention.

If you don't want to be scared off stop reading here.
When I quit drinking, I had hot sweats, cold sweats, paranoia,dizziness, afraid of everything, severe shakes, aches and pains, headaches, stomachaches. It took me at least a month to get 1 hour sleep. The pain was so bad that I crawled on my hands and knees to the bathroom for 2 weeks. I spent 1 month that all I could have was water, gingerale, crackers, dry toast (and even these did not always want to stay down). In the second month, I added chicken noodle soup and a few other things. It was in the third month before I could eat a half decent meal. It was probably also in the third month before I could get 3 hours continuous sleep. I recovered at home and it was very painful for me. The hospital did not want me, treatment was too expensive for me and the detox center kicked me out for medical reasons (they did not have the staff on hand to take care of me).

My wife waited on me hand and foot for 2 weeks before I was able to take a few steps on my own. She kept wet rags on my head, changed the sheets multiple times a day, got me anything that I wanted, gave me sponge baths, gave me tub baths. I can't imagine what she must of went through for me. On the other hand, I thought that I was dieing.

So it is up to HIM, how he should dry out. I would definatley reccommend that he see his doctor for withdrawels. If he stays home, you may be in for a pretty hard time yourself. If he goes into a seizure call an ambulance. If he gets severly paranoid, anxious or hallucinations he should seek medical help.

Did not mean to scare you but for me this was no joking matter. Of course everybody is a little bit different.

I hope all goes well for you both.

Remember, this is a family disease and I recommend that you go look around the Al-Anon forum for yourself Skysfairy. Your husband needs some help but you may need some help to deal with your husband. Of course you can read or post anywhere on this site here that you want.

Good Luck and Keep Posting
Old 05-13-2003, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a comon misconception about A.A. being religious
I thought it might help to post the preamble.

AA Preamble

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions.

AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Are there any other treatments that do not include religion?
Yes, and some are very effective. There are SMART recovery and Rational Recovery. Though both are different in techniques, they focus on mental techniques that can be used to achieve abstinence from alcohol. They have both worked very well for me.

Also, what kind of withdrawl symptons can I expect, and is there anything that I can do to help him thru this?
Alcohol Withdrawal:
The most common substance withdrawal
experience since the Babylonians and their forbears
started brewing. Alcohol withdrawal can be, but rarely
is, a medically dangerous undertaking. Most people
who stop drinking, therefore, will do fine. Common
unpleasant physical symptoms include nausea, a
slight increase in body temperature and
tremulousness, or a sense of shakiness. Other
common symptoms are two to five days of sleep
difficulty and (don't be shocked) irritability. Rarely,
reported as 1 in 10,000 (0.01%), but probably less,
delirium tremens occurs in alcohol withdrawal. This
includes seizures, hallucinations, and high blood
pressure. This is usually predated by the above
noted symptoms and is associated with one or more
of the following risk factors: over age 45, long-term
consumption of over 12 oz. of liquor per day or its
equivalent, history of head injuries, and poor
nutritional status. The most significant predictor of
DT’s is a history of DT’s or any history of seizures.
Again, delerium tremens is very rare, but is life
threatening. In my ten years of practice, having taken
care of many drunks who withdraw, I have never seen
a true case of delirium tremens.
or seizure from withdrawal from opiates. (Unless
you consider diarrhea to be a bowel seizure.) Muscle
aches, diarrhea, a sense that you have the flu, and
yawning frequently are common. Difficulty sleeping
for about a week can also occur. Most of the physical
symptoms are usually over after about three days.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile No drink since Monday at 3

Charlie, my husband, has not had a drink since Monday afternoon. He did not sleep well at all last night. ANd our neighbor, who was going to quit with him, came over with beer, grrrrrr But Charlie was strong, and did not drink. He is feeling sick to his stomach today, and is a little shakey, but is doing ok.

Thank you all for your support and thoughts, they mean the world to me!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Sky,

Tell hubby I am glad he stayed strong! Maybe you should think twice about the neighbor dangling temptation in his face. Just until he gets a bit better. Go Charlie!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
Keep on Keeping On!:wink2:
Old 05-14-2003, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

munchdaddy,

I would like to know where you got your information from on withdrawel.

DT's 1 in 10,000 but probably less ?

It seems strange that in my area out of about 100 alcholics, (that I talk to regularly) I know at least 4 or 5 people who said they had serious DT's. I have heard stories (I beleive to be true) from the "oldtimers" that before treatment centers were readily available, people went into DT's and seizures all the time sitting at a meeting right at the table. I got the DT's. I have watched (first hand) on more then one occasion an alcoholic who has colapsed and gone into a seizure and taken away by ambulance.

Difficulty sleeping for 2 to 5 days?

It seems strange that in my area out of about 100 alcholics, (that I talk to regularly) I have heard from at least 60% that it took at least 1 month to get one half decent night sleep. It took me multiple months before I could get a full nights sleep.

Rarely,
reported as 1 in 10,000 (0.01%), but probably less,
delirium tremens occurs in alcohol withdrawal. This
includes seizures, hallucinations, and high blood
pressure. This is usually predated by the above
noted symptoms and is associated with one or more
of the following risk factors: over age 45, long-term
consumption of over 12 oz. of liquor per day or its
equivalent, history of head injuries, and poor
nutritional status.
Risk factors mentioned above to get DT's. I don't think I personally know one single alcoholic that does not fit into at least one of those risk factors.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Canadian Beer on average has at least twice the alcohol content as American Beer LOL I preffered 10% alc./vol. beer.
The Canadian average I beleive to be 6% alc./vol. for beer. Of course liquor is different.

Maybe that is where your statistics came from on withdrawel. I am sure Canadian statistics would be a lot different. I have heard enough open speaker meetings that contradict the statistics you have given. Unless the average open meeting speaker is lieing about their life story (and I don't believe that they are)........well maybe 1 or 2.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

SID,
These findings are from a study conducted by Dr. James Dahl MD. If you research subsequent DT studies, you will find similar findings. It would be interesting to find out if the persons of whom you speak were actually medically diagnosed with DTs (which they would have to be, because they would have been hospitalized) or they just believe that they had them. The later is common due to the fear and stress of quitting.

PS 12oz of pure alcohol would be close to a case of beer.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

MunchDaddy,

I searched google and alltheweb and could not find any decent DT studies which showed % by population, % by alcoholics, % by alcoholism. I know many who were hospitalized or in treatment but you are right, I don't know if they were actually diagnosed with DT's or the recovery process was just very painful, uncomfortable, whatever and they thought they had them.

However, I have seen more then one alcoholic siezure. The "oldtimers" did tell me that they did happen at the tables in the meeting rooms.

I will let it go.

Difficulty sleeping, for only 2 to 5 days, I can't give you that one. It is not a medical diagnosis (well I guess it can be) but either you sleep or you don't and from what I have heard from the "great many" is that this is far from true. Most people I have talked to said it took weeks to months. Maybe I have mostly been talking to the more severe cases in the rooms.

My previous post I was saying what I have experienced, have seen and heard "first hand" and a little of what I have heard "second hand".