Notices

dr visit went well

Old 05-30-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dr visit went well

Seen my doc yesterday. She seemed to understand alcoholism better than I expected. I'm going to start taking camprel to help with cravings. Anyone here had any experience with this medication? It is faily new I've read a lot about it and it sounds promising. I feel good about going to the dr it was difficult telling her how screwed-up I am but it was necessary. Hopefully the withdraws will not be too bad. Just thought I would share with you all.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was given Revia (sp), I would forget it half the time, it did nothing for me that I could tell, other folks it helps a lot, I have heard good things about camprel, but like any other med it works for some and not others.

I did a quick search on the web on this and found the below. What treatment program did you and your doctor talk about? The reason I ask is in the part I bolded it flat out says "Only when it is used as part of a treatment program that includes counseling and support."

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Campral?

Campral has been shown to help alcohol dependent patients to not start drinking again only when it is used as part of a treatment program that includes counseling and support.
• Continue taking Campral even if you start drinking again. Discuss the fact that you have started drinking again with your doctor if this happens.
• While you are taking Campral monitor for symptoms of depression and/or suicidal thoughts or actions. Contact your healthcare provider if you develop any new or worsening mental health symptoms during treatment with Campral. Do not stop taking Campral without first talking to your healthcare provider.
• Campral is in the FDA pregnancy category C. Discuss the risks with your doctor. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
• Campral passes into breast milk and may affect a nursing infant. Do not take Campral without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Tkdan,

I was put on Campral a little more than a year ago, after a rehab stint..I didn't know what to expect, it didn't make me feel any different, no side effects.. The medicine is supposed to work on your (alkies) messed up neuro-tranmitters and receptors . ... Supposed to get your brains GABA back in sync faster than the normal recovery cycle....
I guess it worked but I can't be sure.............I stopped it after a year (a couple months ago) I felt like I had to take the training wheels off ......Well I havn't fallen yet.....(knock on wood) It was $50 a month with co-pay .....
I wish you well, I'll figure it worked well for me in conjunction with AA or another recovery program......I don't think it works just by itself...........

Work Hard and Enjoy Life................NED
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also took Campral and it didn't work for me. My doctor said I could take it even if I was still drinking and that it would help with the alcohol craving. When I didn't notice any difference in the craving, I read the information insert that came with it. It's clearly for use after you've stopped drinking, to help you resist the urge to drink. No wonder it didn't work! However, unlike Antabuse, it doesn't make you sick if you slip and drink. Good luck and congrats and going to the doctor!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you took a big step,my friend....Congratulations!

hi TK.....i am very proud of you....taking a very important step...asking for help!please don't stop looking and asking for help....you'll need some kind of support system...when do you go back to the doctor? you need someone to talk to,to help you figure out why you drink like you do,and to help you lead a sober life....getting sober is the first step.....STAYING sober isn't easy either,and it will be a struggle every day.....trust me......but it's well worth the work....good luck to you and keep posting here.....i'll be looking for ya!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad to hear your appt was productive. good job at doing the next right thing! k