Notices

Why is Alcohol Still Legal ?

Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I guess all our experiences are different, but I lean more toward Pilgrim on this, I think there are more than 10%, but well under 20%, that have at least and occasional prob with alcohol.

Taz, I guess once you make an effort to avoid drinkers, it may seem like there are less of them. If we go out to dinner at my fav pub, it looks like the figure is around 70%, but go to a number of other more family oriented places, and you see an occasional couple sipping one glass of wine through out the whole meal.

As I often say about "odds", doesn’t matter if it's 1% or 99%, if you are one of the "percents"

Best,
Steve
Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Steve if you are talking an occasional problem with drinking I could easily go with the over 10% figure.

I do not go out of my way to avoid drinkers at all, not going to bars sure cuts way down on the number of drinkers I see, of course in reality name me one real reason to go into a bar other then to drink?

As I often say about "odds", doesn’t matter if it's 1% or 99%, if you are one of the "percents"
VERY very true!

When I was drinking I thought every one I worked with went to Happy hours, thinking back on it now there were really only about half of the folks I worked with that actually went to them, and only a few of us that went to every one, for some reason there was a smaller group yet that stayed well beyond the end of happy hour.

The first Redskins game I went to sober I found out that the soda lines were much longer then the beer lines ever were, this really shocked me, I always got 2 beers for myself because I did not want to stand behind everyone again for the next beer! Heck I do not even really remember paying any attention to the soda lines.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Budfrog View Post
Could open a little can of worms here but if alcohol was a drug that had just hit the street it would be Cat A or Cat B in the UK and definitely illegal.

I know that the breweries have a massive influence on the UK Govt but so has the tobacco lobby and this summer it will be illegal to smoke in any public plave in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

There is also the argument that if prohibition were introduced the product would just go underground and feed criminality instead of 'legitimate' business.

IMO our (UK) Govt should be treating the health of the nation better with better education and regulation. We (Brits) are the binge drinkers of the world, the cafe society that Blair and his cronies envisaged plainly isn't working and there is an epidemic of ill health on the horizon.

The rich get richer and the drunks get drunker.

Here it is de criminalized(illegal but not pursued).
My short answer would be $$$$$$$$$.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol is illegal in Canada?????
Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Alcohol is illegal in Canada?????
Maybe talking about cannabis??