Notices

how can no one help

Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fighting for happiness

Question how can no one help

My father is some what willing to go to detoxic after being in jail for 8 hours with a BAC of 2.8 and not one clinic will call me back. He has to stay in the area because he has to go to court in a few days and the wall that is placed in front of me I can't seem to stop runing into help this is all very new to me
Old 05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hi Ellelove,

Sounds like you are going through a rough time with your father.

It may just be that it is Sunday night and places may not be fully staffed.

There are links on this site to treatment centers, click above on get help or find help.

Alcoholics anonymous is an excellent place to check also. They are usually listed in the white pages under "Alcoholics Anonymous" (spelled out not like 'AA').

They will usually take your number and call you back. They are volunteers.

I wish you the best,

An alcoholic named Ted
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make sure you give them the right BAC.

The legal limit is.08 in all 50 states, not .8 as you indicated. I believe you are off by a factor of 10 as well on his BAC, so he would be .28, not 2.8.

To give you an idea how bad .28 is, death can occur at around .30 BAC and is common at .40 BAC. (from Wikipedia.com) In fact 2.8 is about 3 times the highest BAC ever recorded. He would already be dead.

So get your facts right, and don't give up. Take him to the ER if needed. With that kind of BAC he is likely to have bad withdrawals (trust me I know). Do what the Dr. says.

Good luck and let us know how everything turn out, you are in my prayers.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Most counties have detox centers on a sliding scale. If he has insurance see what detox ctr is in his plan. Call your local hospitals and ask to speak to their chemical depend. units. Go with your dad to a local AA mtg and ask for members to speak to you after the mtg about local detox ctrs. Tha'ts what I did with my dad.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry for your situation,emergency room an option? im not clear on whats happening but dont wanna hear ya write back with more pain.you will get some good suggestions here tho
Old 05-20-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Somewhat willing ?

He has to be really willing. Sounds like he got a drunk in public ? A lot of us have, usually not enough to make us stop drinking though. .28 is fairly high. Although most alcoholics can walk, talk & drive at that level.

I was arrested at my daughters school with a .26 ay 10:00 in the morning. That by itself wouldn't have been enough, but I had been trying to quit and that was the last straw. Well, spending the nigh in a broken down car going through de-tox didn't help much.

Anyway I finally walked into AA, and that's where I found recovery.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

The Salvation Army has free de tox facilities in many aeas.

Your local AA is also a good place to call
or better....go to a meeting and ask for help.

Blessings to both of you
Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Elle sorry about your dad, you say he is some what willing to go into detox? Elle I am an alcoholic and in order for me to get and stay sober I had to be "willing" to go to any lengths to get and stay sober.

If your dad is an alcoholic then he is the one that needs to take the actions needed to get and stay sober.

Tell him if he is serious about getting and staying sober he needs to take actions for himself, he needs to put himself into detox/rehab and if he has trouble finding a way to do that tell him to call your local AA, they will be able to get him on thhe right path to a detox/rehab and more then happy to help him stay sober and also become a happier, better, sober person!