Notices

Vivid Drunk Dream

Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Vivid Drunk Dream

What a dream.

There I was guzzling beer cans cause I wanted the effect fast and I didn't want to be caught.

I was looking in cabinets for bottles and drinking anything I found.

I remember thinking, "but I'm almost six months sober, what the heck am I doing?!"

There were other people in the dream and all I wanted to do was avoid them and keep drinking.

Thank God I woke up sober.

I haven't had one of these in a while.

Ted
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Awfully real aren't they?

Blessings
Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My last one was several months ago, I dreamed I was drinking vodka out of a very tall water glass (Just had one drink officer! LOL)! In the dream I was in bed laying next to my wife and thinking to myself "What the heck am I doing? Man I hope Deb doesn't catch me!"

I am a beer man which made no sense with the vodka, if I was to decide to kill myself I would at least do it with beer.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
if I was to decide to kill myself I would at least do it with beer.
Now that's a pretty picture...

You had me laughing out loud!

Thanks Taz, I needed that!

Ted
Old 05-18-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

We are not a glum lot!!!

Groucho that is one thing we sober alcoholics have is a great sense of humor, even if some of the stuff we find hilarious non-alcoholics don't!!

My poor wife, she loves to go to this one open speakers meeting with me on Sunday mornings, but she looks at me with this "What the heck was so funny about that?" look when all of the alcoholics are laughing like crazy about some thing a speaker said and she finds no humor at all in it. She has told me she does not get how we laugh at some of the most horrific things some speakers share. I just tell her it is because you have not walked in our shoes, we are laughing at our former insanity.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I still have at least one drinking dream a month. Man are they ever vivid! Always beer or vodka, and I swear I can taste it when I wake up. Yeesh!!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Taz, I can sooo totally relate! I had one a few months back too. Only it was a BEER dream, and not even good beer at that! My booze of choice was always wine. The only beers I ever really could tolerate were pricey ales or Guinness dark... this was like college student beer! Keytsone light or something.... I remember making a few rooms spin on that stuff, wayyyyy back In my dream I was drinking away at this horrible beer--knowing full well it was a relapse... GAG I felt like vomiting when I woke up! I was glad it was just a dream...

What I got out of that dream was just a reminder about the "powerless" part. I know I had no idea why I was drinking that crap in my dream. None.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I,d rather have these dreams (nightmares) than the real thing...........lol

NED
Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

The last one I had was during finals. I was exhausted, but I had to study for the next exam anyway. I stared at my books for about 20 minutes and realized I was just too tired to really concentrate and something was going to have to be done.

Thought #1: Going to the bar and studying used to always perk me up!
Thought #2: Ditch Thought #1 and take a nap instead.

So I set my alarm for an hour and took a nap. The most annoying thing was that I dreamt that I couldn't sleep, got up, grabbed my books, and went to the bar. My alarm clock went off in the middle of like the 3rd drink and I woke up all stressed out like "What the hell! I said I was going to take a NAP! How did I end up ... here? Oh. That was my nap. Damn."

It wasn't a very restful nap. Not only did I go to the bar during it, but I studied the whole time.

~SK~
Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first time I had a vivid dream after quitting, I went around depressed as hell for a minute or two, before I realised it was a dream, not flashbacks, and I hadn't relapsed last night...LOL.

D
Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My first drinking dream after sobering up, I woke up and I swear I had a hangover for like 5 minutes - no BS. I think it is my mind telling my body that I should feel like crap because I had been drinking.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

mine was freaking wine coolers ... what I used to call 'trailer trash tangueray' ...

I remember turning and saying to someone at the bar (in the dream)

"Man I KNOW I'm dreaming - look what I'm drinking!"

woke up ... could TASTE the berry taste.
and was scared to death...

fortunately - that was the only one.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Originally Posted by CarolD
Awfully real aren't they?
...and really awful, too.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Been Awhile For Me . . .

A few months anyway . . . At least the years I've been sober (27 in a few months) have taught me not to let them shake me up like they used to . . .

The ones that bother the hell out of me are the ones where I'm actually enjoying the damn stuff . . .

Anymore it's just a reminder of my First Step, and they are something I'm definitely powerless over...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How long do these dreams usually go on? I'm very young in my sobriety, so I'm just curious. I've a couple pretty wicked drinking dreams the last couple months.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had them where I wake up feeling like hell in the morning and ask myself (this was during my non-drinking stints) why I keep doing this to myself. Then I'd remember that I hadn't had a drink in weeks.

The other night I had a dream that my husband and I were laying in bed talking and for some reason my dresser drawer came open. There was nothing in it but vodka bottles (I've never kept booze in my dresser drawer). I was mortified that he'd see them. Then, when I went to the kitchen, there were empty beer cans everywhere I looked - I was frantically trying to hide them before he came in for coffee. Very stressful dream!!

My Mother was hiding vodka in her dresser drawer, so maybe that's where that came from. And God knows, I've hidden beer cans (empty and full) everyplace imaginable! Better to not drink at all and REALLY know those are dreams and not reality!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Wow,

This seems to be a big issue!

Nanita, that sounds like a truly awful dream. Bottles everywhere.

I don't get the dreams very often, but when they come they can shake me up a bit until I realize I was dreaming, and then I feel good that I am really sober!

Ted