Notices

4 weeks...

Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lunatic

4 weeks...

Ok.. I've been off it for 4 weeks.. and I have a question... is it normal for mood swings.... EXTREME anger/irritation and heavy depression... to still occur? I figured that would stop...... Today is the first day I seriously considered going back to it... Party friday.. easy access.. thoughts like that...

Ok.. thanks all.

-Gregz
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Greg... I'm just over 100 days... and yes its normal... but the mood swings start to level out soon at least they did for me... and I had a really rough couple of days right around 30 days... do a search for PAWS it explains alot... if you look around the sight here someone regularly posts a link to info on it...

What helped me through the rough patches was meetings...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Greg,

I am 18 days and have been really depressed for 3 days; in bed most of the time. So, from my short experience it seems like it must be quite normal.

My biggest problem with it is that I feel really worthless; even though I know I am doing the right thing; i have no motivation other than staying sober.

Angels have walked beside me
All my life--and they still do.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah, sounds normal to me! my own experience was really similar. i was on that "pink cloud" for about a month, then went down like a ton of bricks... and e'one said "well, yeah, thats normal".

hey debaucher, we are very close on that sobriety date! mine is the 5th of feb 07!
up and down!!

gg
Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know about EXTREME anger. How extreme is your anger anyway?

I fluctuated between low grade irritability and the blues for many weeks after my pink cloud dissipated but i had my rage issues pretty much in check.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lunatic

I can't really stay in bed... school... an stuff.. I bunk lessons when I'm in a extreme emotional state....

and... the anger.. I almost pushed a very old close friend down about ... 20 stairs... It really is powerful.. EXTREME.. describes it well..

Again.. meetings also ruled out.. because no-one really knows about my problem.. I can't tell my parents.. and I won't.. We aren't exactly close..

I have a few friends that are watching me and looking out for me.. that and this forum.. is all my support...

I'm researching PAWS now...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's about right, I got pretty angry and depressed for a while.

It gradually lessens though, I was having maybe one good day a week, now it is maybe one not so great day every week or ten days.

It wasn't bad enough for me to drink, though I did threaten it all the time.

Hang in there it gets easier, promise.

Love, Rose
Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Greg

Maybe you should talk to a doctor if is really severe? Cant do any harm.

I needed to get medication for chronic depression, I have had it since childhood and was self-medicating with alcohol and drugs. Helped me a lot.

Rose
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"because no-one really knows about my problem"

BS. Lotsa of people know. We alkies fool ourselves thinking no one knows, or knows how bad we are, but they do. My parents knew and I lived 2400 miles away. Friends, co-workers and bosses knew too.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The anger did not come for me until about the 2 month point, I had been riding that pink cloud for quite a while, I had one heck of a day at work, like 3 or 4 things that upset me, but not bad, then the wife threw me a curve ball and I really went off the deep end! If it had not been for my AA network there is no doubt in my mind I would have bought a 12 pack and been off to the races again.
Again.. meetings also ruled out.. because no-one really knows about my problem.. I can't tell my parents.. and I won't.. We aren't exactly close..
You will find that in order to stay sober and happy you are going to have to make your sobriety your #1 priority, if that means telling some one you have a drinking probelm, so be it. You will be amazed when you let that cat out of the bag how many people you thought did not know you have a problem do know, and even more amazed at how many people will not shun you, but support you in any way they can in helping you to stay sober.

In regards to AA, the second A in AA is for anonymous, if you really get the fever for a drink keep AA in mind, it will always be there for you with open arms. AA saved my life and tons of others.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Something that helped me was believing... deep in my heart that I WAS GOING TO BE HAPPY again!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is my link for PAWS...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Just don't drink...
and you will soon find your emotional balance

and never have to experience this crap again!

Take care...
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lunatic

As if it couldn't get any worse.. my gf witnessed an angry spell of mine.. and now has informed me... over the phone (eep) that she doesn't feel safe around me. and that what if a angry spell happened while we were together.. (On a side-note.. I would never ever ever hit a girl EVER.. and NEVER have.. so I feel this response is unjustified) And this happens AS my good mood returns.. so now I feel quite detached... which is better then depressed or angry I suppose.. but I do worry myself... Because I always return to a previous problem when I feel detached.. that I will not mention...

-G
Old 05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey gregz - have patience with yourself and your girlfriend. she needs time to recover also. blessings, k
Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Good to meet you Greg,

I have found that it does get better. AA helps me a great deal. Can you sneak to a meeting?

Hang in there,

Ted
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Lunatic

I don't know were to go... And I have no transportation....

South Africa isn't really a place teenagers should walk around... expecially not to Community Centres and things...