Notices

My story.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story.

Im 26 years old and i drank pretty hard for the last 7-8 years. The first 2 or so years of my "trip" i would drink about a bottle a day meaning a 5th every day and all day, the most i ever drank in one day was 3 bottles by my self or three 5ths. I always tought i could quit this **** but if i dont soon i will be a dead man. recently its been a problem, i never really quit i just shut it down a notch. All i have ever know socially has been drinking and that turning into a problem or has been one for quite some time. Im sure i fried my liver by now and its a shame im only 26. I have quit all drugs that i did in the past (meth,weed ect) i just cant beat alcohol.

some people might say "go to rehab" yea id love to go but that costs money I dont have and some would say go to "AA" and im beyond AA, im a full blown alcoholic and AA wont help me one bit.

im pretty much dead right now but i thought id say something.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome !

some would say go to "AA" and im beyond AA, im a full blown alcoholic and AA wont help me one bit.
Have you tried it ?

I was the walking dead , too. I'll spare you all the gory details, but the de-tox damm near killed me. I didn't care. I was either going to stop, or die trying.

The next day, while still puking & shaking etc, I walked into AA. That was 7 months ago.

BTW, My livers' still mad at me.......but it's getting better.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Welcome !

Have you tried it ?

I was the walking dead , too. I'll spare you all the gory details, but the de-tox damm near killed me. I didn't care. I was either going to stop, or die trying.

The next day, while still puking & shaking etc, I walked into AA. That was 7 months ago.

BTW, My livers' still mad at me.......but it's getting better.
im done for sure.........my liver hurts me some days.. I accept the fact that i will die in the next 5, 10-20 ears slowly. all i can do now is pray. it could just be anxiety from alcohol tho....i hope it is because im 26 and i want to live the rest of my life. all i really drink now is like a 6 a day and i take off about 1 night a week or sometimes two from drinking. recently i have been drinking a little more like tonight i have had about 5 but i have been depressed so. i only wish i knew why i im killing my self or done it already.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i coud had swear i was a full blown alcoholic when i went to AA
As a matter of fact, i was so full blown..i was drunk in my first couple
of AA meetings. I was so full blown. I kept relapsing over and over again.
Nope i wasn't or is beyound AA...the day I die would probably be that piont.

I couldn't or even can't imagine not getting drunk or high for the rest of my life.
But today...just for today I can and yeah...today, just for today i'm an AA member.

I do a lot nore than just pray...heck most of the time I don't pray.
I go to meetings, I read, I write,
I call my sponsor, I help others
I do service work.

The 12 steps never taught me how to not drink or use drugs.
All I had to do was "don't pick up no matter what" to stop using.

The 12 steps taught me how to live without drugs or alcohol,
becuase living without getting high or drunk made me feel like a duck out of water.

Last edited by SaTiT; 05-15-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

the day I die would probably be that piont.
Nope SaTIT......I did die, ER Dr was writing TOD on my chart when my heart started back up on its own.

im a full blown alcoholic and AA wont help me one bit.
Nope, I was a full blown alkie and AA sure helped me.......that was almost 26 years ago and I'm still sober today. I was where you are at 26, at 29 Doctors told my family if I didn't quit I would be dead by 30. Wellllllllllllllll I sure showed him.....................I didn't get sober until 3 weeks shy of my 36th birthday. Boy the insanity.

I tell you this because you can get sober and live a great life. I would suggest that when you start your detox to talk to your Dr first, or at least have someone with you, that can call 911 if needed and get you to a hospital. Detox can be VERY DANGEROUS.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi swoop, you can do it! give up the grog, i mean. i did alcohol last, after the methadone, pot,pills. my liver hurt too, sometimes with every foot step but the liver does repair itself.....and we thank God for that. you'll really enjoy sobriety...hang in there....AA was the only thing that helped me stop drinking
Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Get real with yourself. You dont want to die, you just cant be bothered trying right now. Sure all your organs will eventually tell you what youre doing to yourself. My sister is in that much pain, screaming in pain, pancreas, kidney, bowel problems but she still drinks. Told she will be dead soon. She has lost her kids, husband, family, home, job and still she drinks. A very high tolerance wouldnt you say. Shell probably live till shes 80.
You are only 26 and if you are aware of whats happening to you, think about it. If you stop caring about yourself, every bloody else will too.
This is only my opinion!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

swoop first in regards to your liver hurting you and being dead in a few years, well I was diagnosed (If you can call it that) with a tender liver at 28, I continued to drink until I was 52! My liver was swollen big time and very tender, when I went into detox I was diagnosed with a fatty liver, precursor to cirrosis of the liver. The doctor told me if I kept drinking it would turn into cirrosis of the liver, if I quit drinking it would get better.

Well 3 months after quitting my liver although still large was no longer tender and test indicated it was functioning normally again, on the 18th of this month I will have been sober 18 months, the swelling of my liver is almost all gone.

AA was started by full blown alcoholics and that is who AA has the greatest success rate with is full blown alcoholics! The 2 men who started AA went through numerous detoxes and were commited to asylums as well numerous times before Bill W. found the solution.

If I can stop drinking and stay stopped using AA any body can. I drank for 40 years! I spent the last 10 years trying to moderate or quit drinking and failed every time! The last couple of years I reached the point where I had to drink, there was no choice for me, I had to drink every day!

I stood on the edge of a cliff, if I continued to drink I was going over the edge, I was going to lose everything and drink myself to death! I put myself into medical detox and there they told me if I wanted to stand a chance at long term sobriety I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor! Well I followed directions!

Today I have been sober 240 days straight, I could care less if I ever had a drink again, I am happier then I have been in over 30 years and I have AA and its 12 steps to thank for that.

Swoop I started drinking about 15 years before you were born, I quit drinking almost 8 months ago and it was AA that did it. Do not tell me that AA can not work for you!

If you really want to quit drinking and are willing to do what ever it takes to stop drinking and stay stopped AA will work for you!

Now if you really do not want to quit drinking and wish to kill your self then just throw in the towel and do it!

Do not say AA or nothing else can work for you, AA and other programs could work for you if you want to get and stay sober, but nothing will work for you if you do not work at it.

You can stop drinking if you want to by using a long term recovery program, AA worked for this old drunk who drank longer then you have lived.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Determined

It's NEVER too early, it's NEVER too late if you want help with alcohol addiction

Help can be yours - you came to SR, that for me was my start

Hopefully it can be for you too.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you might be surprised with a.a. seriously, don't count it out. and if you can't find the money for rehab (sounds like you shouldn't be detoxing alone?) the folks at a.a. are great for networking. please give it a try. you know, there are so many people who have been where you are... or even worse.

gg
Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, swoop. i have a 23 year old daughter in aa - lots of 20 somethings in those rooms..

nice to meet you, and keep posting!

k
Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!..

It is not necessary to die drunk and alone.

Get yourself to AA and yell HELP!

AA members have been just where you are
they undersand and they can save your life.

Glad you found us
Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I know many people who came to AA shaking so bad that that they were only given half a cup of coffee.

Just who do you think is in AA? Social drinkers who want to cut down a little?

AA is chock full of alcoholics! Thats why they call it Alcoholics Anonymous!

Get your butt to a meeting and ask for help! If you can't get to one on your own, look up AA in the white pages and give 'em a call.

In the early days of AA, AA was the only solution that offered hope. Society simply locked up alcoholics in a "sanitorium" with really crazy people. Or they winded up in jail or dead.

So if you think that AA cannot help you you are just wrong. Dead wrong.

I am sorry if this post is a bit harsh but I think you may need to hear this straight up.

I am an alcoholic in recovery and it bothers me very deeply to see this disease trying to claim another victim.

I hope you make it, I really do.

Just reach out for help my friend...

Ted
Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I too had my doubts about AA 15 days ago. I had no clue how sitting in a room with other people talking would help me to stop drinking, but that was 15 days ago.

The people in the rooms are Alcoholics! Many people have lost everything, and are getting it back because of AA.

Even if you go to rehab, when you are discharged, you will be told to go to meetings.

Believe it or not people in the rooms have been even sicker than you are now, but they are now in recovery because of AA.

Yes, I doubted AA, but it is because of AA that I have been sober for 7 days. That is the longest I have gone without a drink in at least 3 years, maybe longer.

I one time dreaded the thought of having to go to meetings, now I dread the thought of not going to meetings.

Get to a meeting and ask for help!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do it - I too drank at least of 5th a day and started heavy about the same age.

Your 26 - you've got your whole life in front of you, your body will repair itself from the damage you've done. It's most certainly not too late, it's never too late.

Sometimes it seems like there's no way out - but then all of sudden it's right in front of you - a path cut just for you - you just have to make the choice to walk it.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

like-a-rhapsody...
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This thread is a few years old, Carol check out the date.