Notices

Alcoholic Depression. Do others experience it?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by piscesdreamer View Post
yeah i'm finding that the combination of booze and depression is slowly draining me of my very soul.where one is no longer whole,but in fragments.your core inner self is lost,it is a robber,a thief.now when i drink,it drinks from me...it gets to that point.
I so relate.. *hugs*
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
catch-22

I've been depressed for years and I've been drinking for years. Which one started first? I don't know, but I'm sure that alcohol makes my depression soooo much worse. I've had suicidal thoughts... feeling trapped is no fun.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The chicken or the egg......

"Why are you drinking?" Demanded the little prince.
"So that I may forget" replied the tippler.
"Forget what ?" Inquired the little prince
"Forget that I am ashamed" said the tippler, hanging his head
"Ashamed of what ?" insisted the little prince, wanting to help
"Ashamed of drinking...." The tippler brought his speach to an end
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Just a fool, swimming in love

Wink Bill W was depressed long into his sobriety.

Susan Cheever's book My Name is Bill makes the case that Bill died a depressed womanizer. Anti-depressants didn't work for me. Therapy did. Innerbonding.com Works better if you stop drinking. I couldn't stop on my own. AA worked for that. Most 12 steppers are no help at all with the depression, it's that happy, joyous and free thing. My primary symptom was the feeling that I'm crap, my life is crap and it's never going to change. I was well at 3 years sober and clinically depressed at 7, doing everything the program says to do.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sunlight as you have found AA is for alcoholism and not for clinical depression, but a huge percentage of AA alcoholics have found tremendous help with thier depression by stopping drinking long enough and working the steps.

That is not to say that all depression dissappears because of the AA program, it doesn't, but doctors can deal with clinical depression through meds and therapy a lot easier with some one who does not drink any more and has worked out a lot of their issues through working the steps in AA.

Sunlight I am happy joyous and free thans to AA, I was a depressed emotional wreck before that. The difference is I am not clinically depressed. A lot of the folks I know in the rooms are either in therapy, on meds, or both. Like you they found sobriety in AA and the steps, and help with thier depression through therapy and meds.