Notices

I'm not falling down no more >:O

Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Angry I'm not falling down no more >:O

Day 4 and standing strong. I don't intend to go back to booze/nicotine anymore, I KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING TO MY BRAIN. I know I've said this before, but with my new medication, and with my life problems... that's the LAST THING I NEED. Can anyone recommend some hobbies that can keep you busy during getting through your first month of sobriety? Because the fact is I feel passion deprived, depressed, and out of it honestly... even though I am a panic disorder/hypocondriac/fearful of changes in my life and just also have depression -.-
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what about writing lists of things you would like to do,nothing huge, start small, or I suggested to my AH to write little lists each day of what he wants to achieve and focus on them rather than staying of the booze...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A hobby that I really love is photography. It's been my hobby forever and has always helped me appreciate the small things. I look at everything differently when I'm outside with my camera and it really helps when I'm struggling more than usual with alcohol.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Can anyone recommend some hobbies that can keep you busy during getting through your first month of sobriety?"

I hung out at AA meetings constantly. Some of them I even walked to, if my car was broken down. My life seemed to revolve around meetings. Maybe you could check out some of the online meetings and schedule your day around them; even if you don't contribute it seemed to help give structure to my day which helped because I was so fearful of having a whole big day to fill. It was better when I got a job, because that was more structure, but still. I think the suggestion above about making a list of how you want the day to go is a really good one. Also maybe get an online sponsor and start working the steps; you can go through the steps over and over throughout your sobriety so you don't have to do it exactly perfect the first time. I read any books about recovery that I could get my hands on, particularly books about codependency issues, etc. Congrats on your progress so far, that is great! ((((((((hugs))))))))))
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Photography - like Redfox said!! It was great in early sobriety - doesn't need anyone else, allowed me to wander around purposefully, also got me into two sets of new skills - how to use a camera, and how to use packages on the PC which let me manipulate the images. But anything which allows us to feel a sense of satisfaction and achievement is good!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Painting is a great method of relaxing, not portraits for this old guy though, to much of a perfectionist, imaginary subjects, that way no matter what it looks like it is perfect! LOL
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I want to build ship models, I have a little one to start but I have not gotten to it yet.

Oh, and I am in the process of building an 8 foot pram, It's about half done.

Hobbies? Whatever interests you!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Hmhmhm I see... I just get overwhelmed at even small things sometimes... I think my brain is fried from all the boozing/smoking I did in the past 2 years.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paulos,

What worked for me was doing volunteer work. It was the best thing I could have done. It got me outside myself and doing something that was helping other people. It helped to build my confidence and self-esteem.

Take a look around your community and see what you can do to help out.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

in some ways I got PLENTY OF CONFIDENCE and self-esteem, an EGO can help that too... but I just am worried about myself like I hurt myself too early in life and I'm screwed permanently due to this fog on my brain and what I expect of myself.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paulos 2 years of drinking and drugging I some how doubt has fried your brain worse then the 40 years of drinking I did. If you do something other then drink the fog will clear, but the fog takes time to clear, it does not happen over night, it takes several weeks of absolute total sobriety, that means not smoking dope as well.

Paulos trust me if I can quit after 40 years of doing it you can do it after 2 years.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Red face

Grats Paulos!

Funny, I got into photography in my first few sober days, too. Taking a camera along with you can make walking around a city or a forest seem like a meaningful project. I also decided to pick up chess - hoping that it will help exercise my brain a little bit. Reading about alcoholism and addiction in general has taken up a lot of time as well. A new physical activity might be another way to occupy some time. I registered for some local 5k races to motivate myself to train and get my body back into some kind of shape.

How has it been going? Did you find anything helpful yet?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you taz and con, and all, I'm doing my best. Good thing for xanax, feeling good actually. Thanks everyone so much. Day 5 soon and eventually I won't need to even count days. I'm glad I'm going to be free of this poison Can anyone tell me what to expect to feel when you are completely sober and no longer being tormented/bashed in the brain from overdoing booze? Like you know, passion for life/etc... just a question.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paulos for me simply being sober did not help me, I was simply a sober miserable drunk with an awful lot of issues I needed to deal with.

Drinking was just a symptom of my problems and unless I changed me I was going to drink again. The 12 steps of AA were the solution for me as it has been for millions.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Paulos -
congrats on the time!

Myself - I was so very sick when I first sobered up ... I surrounded myself in my recovery. I'm still up to my eyeballs in recovery. I attend a meeting a day (at least one, except on work nights - then I can only do one every other day) My new neighbors are also in recovery, the only people in my phone index are recovery, except my landlord and my work ....

I used to be an artist - and haven't created anything in all the years I tended bar and drank. So I'm setting up a room in my new apt for just that. A studio.
Kinda scary - kinda fun. It's just setting up for now.
I recently got a kitten, also.
Moved into a new apt that's old as the town, almost ... and am going to do some painting and interior design stuff in it.
But my passion - is also my obsession ... horses.
I just got through a HUGE 'trigger weekend' - the Kentucky Derby.
So it'll be a while before I consider returning to that particular world. I want a more thorough understanding of myself before I go back to what I used to call my 'four legged heroin'.

It's been eight months now ... how utterly amazing.