Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Drunk driver knocked me off the computer yesterday

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just wanted to share about this because it hit close to home. There was a bad wreck on my road yesterday, a drunk driver hit a power pole, which knocked my power in the back two rooms out until tonight, something about a blown something or other.

Anyway, there are two gas stations two miles apart on this road. He had just left the first one after the cashiers there refused to sell him beer. He apparently spun out of the parking lot and was headed to the other one down the road, when he veered off the road and hit the power pole. I heard the loudest boom, like a sonic boom, and my computer went black and lights went out. I walked into my front yard and could see the vehicle lying on it's side in the people down the street's backyard (2 doors down). At first I couldn't make it out, I saw something standing up, with four wheels, made out a gas tank, exhaust, etc and realized I was looking at the underside of a car...it turned out to be a van. Apparently there were five little kids in the van with him. Four escaped the accident without a scratch. The driver and the other kid were medivac-ed to the hospital in the big city near here. Their injuries must have been bad because there is a hospital just 4 or 5 miles up the road, but the helicopter took off in the direction of the city. It was so strange to see that helicopter come flying in over the cornfields behind my house...up until that point I thought it might not be that serious, that maybe the person had escaped without injury.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to say 'there but for the grace of God go I'...I drove drunk many many times and I had two very close calls. I hope that the people are okay, and I just wanted to share this.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's incredible, Lanie. I hope the child who was taken to hospital will be alright. We are so fortunate to have found recovery when we did. Wow.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never driven, but been in a car *lots* of times with people who were drunk or stoned...it's a genuine miracle we never injured anyone else or ourselves in our stupidity...

D
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I pray the child and the drunk are okay, and yes, me to, that could have been me and my kids on way to many occasions, all I can do is thank God for watching over us all.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I pray for all those children and the trauma they must suffer. I pray for the driver too and freedom from his obsession with beer.

I am also grateful that today I am not that man.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely. "A daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition", I think that's right or somewhere in the neighborhood. I haven't seen anything in the papers about it (this is a very small town and the paper doesn't print everyday) but I drove down there and they are putting up a whole new pole, the pole was snapped in half at the base. If I find out anything about the injured child and man I'll post it here.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very Scary story!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too

have driven many times drunk, high, or both..I never planned to do so..I just
didn't think...I will say that since my 3 yr. nephew was ran over and killed..I have
been thinking twice before driving while under the influence..

Down the street is a gas station that is right before you onto the highway..
My city was the only place that it was legal sell alcohol after 2 A.M. So, people would come several cities away to this gas-station to buy alcohol..There is an accident almost daily by there. Many people have died in horrible car accidents. Plus, people have been ran over and killed. It is so dangerous that I do not even allow my teen kids to cross the road at that intersection..There has been less acidents since it recently became illegal to sell alcohol after 2 A.M.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is kind of what happened to me; after backing into a friend with my car and then coming to with a man braced against my hood about six months later, my cousin Vivian was killed by a drunk driver. It really shook me up to realize the grief I was feeling over her death I had almost, and still could, inflict on others.