Notices

the 13th Steppers

Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
On a tear

And I am now speaking as a woman member of SR... not a mod....

How the heck can you compare YOUR situation with most women on these boards? Those are the ones those warnings were aimed at. This is a recovery board for people who are often new to recovery and, by the way, some of them are quite vulnerable and have been told (over and over again) to "Trust" those in the program. The warning was for everyone, but ESPECIALLY women whose "radar" has been messed up for years; women who are trying to trust anyone sober. Women who are physically weaker than most men on this board. Women who are far more vulnerable than you, Ten, with your "stranger danger" degree.

Sick people are drawn to places where vulnerable people congregate. Which is why you find child molesters in our churches, schools and youth clubs.... and sex predators here on SR. and in some meetings. And your words sound very much like those of a man who would try to minimize warnings to vulnerable women. I have to wonder at your motives.

As a mod...

I really can't say what I think.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just for the record,
I disagree with you Ten Chips Down.

As nice as it may feel to have another SR member agree with something I said, and even put my name in bold letters in their post, my personal sentiments on this topic, when taken to an extreme as a means of bolstering your own defiance, is not an accurate representation of my position on the issue.

I actually fall somewhere in the center of this issue.

I believe we MUST help one another especially those people who suffer, are lost, weak and vulnerable. And, on a forum dedicated to alcoholism recovery, I feel that we have an obligation to be just that: about recovery from alcoholism. We are here quite democratically, and, more or less, we are self governed and we do create a safe atmosphere, which includes education, and, if needed, intervention.

Initially, I disagreed with being told that it is imperative that I conduct myself in any certain manner, but I later came to more fully appreciate the complexity of online predator activity, after reading those warnings.

Not that I was naive myself about the risks involved in posting, say, a picture online, or in agreeing to meet a stranger in person from SR, but, because I would never have suspected the sickness in some people, and to imagine that ANYONE (Man or Woman) could be hurt as a result of trusting someone met here at SR enough to go meet in person, is something I want to go on record as saying a little extra education will never hurt.

Or, a word to the wise is sufficient.

Sure, the word came across as overly melodramatic in tone...but, no harm done, and, bertter that than we all be a bunch of slugs, not caring about anybody but ourselves.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

The way we run this forum is really none of your business Ten and not one of us running it is interested in your opinion.

If you don't like it leave.

What happened to the numerous women on this forum is also none of your business.

I don't believe any of us asked for advice.