Notices

the 13th Steppers

Old 04-28-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just a follow up, I posted to raise awareness to this issue, not to engage in a debate about the "sickness" of those that engage in this type of conduct.

The point is just to remind newbies and oldbies alike that not everyone approaches this with a pure heart and that we are each responsible for maintaining our own safety and security... our recovery demands that of us.

For example, I find being around others drinking makes me want to drink, so I stay away from bars. That is a way to ensure my safety and security. Make sense?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by IO Storm View Post
Grateful for you too so much Bro' D.

Your efforts at "staying stopped" have been recognized..

and I am glad to be one of your personal friends. Keep

up the good work friend...I may need your help one day.

Actually I need prayer for a stressful court date tomorrow

concerning finances...wreckage from the past.

Thanks.

Love,

Sherry
always here for you Sherry...and prayers as requested ? You betcha.
thanks for your lovely words. Sorry I took so long. Needed to feel the sun on my face today...it worked...I'm back refreshed and reenergised...and still 'stopped'.

I'll be there with you tomorrow
D
Old 04-29-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sherry prayers for the court date thing.

I agree that in the end we are resposible for our selfs, but I feel that there is a degree of responsibility that people who are further along in the walk in sobriety to help those who are just starting to walk down the path of sobriety to help them avoid pit falls that those with a more mature sobriety are aware of.

The amount of time one is sober is not a good yard stick to use in who we can trust, we were all sick when we started walking down that path of sobriety, some of us much sicker then others.

Some of us can do an awful lot of healing in a short amount of time in many areas, some of us can have many years of sobriety with very little true healing. Some can still be very sick and be sober for a very long time.

We all need to be aware that just because some one has not drank for a very long time and talks the talk very well, that they may not be walking the talk.

You know right now I am rambling because I am flustered, having been a master manipulator for 40 years I should have been able to spot what was going on here, instead I was decieved by the web some one was weaving, looking back I can see the web being wove, but hind site is 20-20, I have a long way to go.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

having been on the net - forums, usenet, and the like - for many years, I've developed my own set of checks and balances that help me sort out the genuine folk from the grifters...

I'm pleased to say the good friends I've made here in SR are amongst the best I've found on the web...but I think it's important we all remember we're dealing in relationships based on words here...it can be very easy for someone to construct things that don't actually exist...very easy for someone to portray themselves as something they're not...very easy for us to be fooled....very easy to destroy reputations in an single post.

I'm not trying to scaremonger...it's an emotive issue and can be overdramatized...but we all have common sense and we're all capable of using it.

Give of yourself as freely as you want...that's what makes this place great... but don't give yourself away...that's something too precious to gamble with.

peace y'all
D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-29-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thank you Dee
Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was aware of the thirteenth step through reading parts of orange papers, but it only refered to it as Bill Wilsons thirteenth step as he was allegedly a ladies man.
But I for one have to say that I was totaly blind to the shamefull things that were carrying on here by an individual supposidley in the name of AA.
I went to a meeting tonight and couldn't stop thinking if there were any similar peeps within the room, but thankfully I reached the conclusion that the majority of AA members are there for recovery only and to pass the messege on without ulteria motives.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There will always be others looking to exploit the weaknesses of others. This is true in perhaps every aspect of life.

In my ten years as a member of AA I have seen maybe three cases of 13th Stepping, and on all but one occasion it was nipped in the bud.

Despite these unfortunate instances AA still remains a place of safety, inspiration and hope for me.The majority of the people I know in AA are fine individuals who work hard to carry the message to other suffering alcoholics.

Use prudence in your dealings with others at all times but don't let the fear of betrayal stop you from seeking the help that you need.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As has been said, there are 13th Steppers of both sexes, but based on my observations, it is usually a man preying on the newly sober women. So this is mostly for the women-you ladies beware the wolves in sheeps clothing.
Jim
Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hmmmm....I used to drive girls from the local 90 day in patient to outside meetings...

They talked about all the cute guys including my BF, but I saw it for what it was...

So Let's keep it THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE........

My gosh....last year when BF and I reuntied we Both had to tell one girl to

get lost...she stalked him even when we were back together...begging for

-------. I had to politley tell guys I was not available as well.

It works both ways.

Open your eyes.

You men need to stay on guard also...some women are sicker than others too.

Save yourself some grief...and find a healthy date.

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Uhh that reunited not untied...lol.

Bad experiences all around with this stuff anyhow.

Gonna go find Bee 62 a new avatar.....

And reach out to Newbies on the bus.

This thread makes my tummy sick.

Love,

:

Sherry

Borrowing from RZ....

"Give only love"
Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

sick attracts sick

Just my 2 cents. I've been told by a rehab social worker, a doctor, and a counselor that the attraction to other people in the program is almost a given. After all - there is so much in common to share that they can each relate to. There's also that wishful thinking "Oh, I've found someone who really, really understands me....", that pink cloud thing "oh, maybe I'm not as sick as my SO thinks I am b/c this person thinks I'm really together, strong, whatever".

But, the reality is that yes, there is a vulnerability in the newcomer but there can also be a stalking affect in the newcomer too. So, you could very likely have a sober and actively recovering addict/alcoholic whose offers of assistance, help and friendship are misinterpreted by the newcomer as something more than what it realy is. It's like replacing one addiction for another. I think that members of a recovery group should make themselves aware of the potential for this type of imbalanced relationship to be created, get honest with each other and themselves, and communicate honestly with another recovery member if they observe a potentially "dangerous" situation brewing... I just don't think that all 13th Steppers or rehab romances are about preying on the sick.

My alcoholic SO got caught up in a supposed "rehab romance" when his friendliness and openess was misinterpreted by a woman in his group as being an intimate "friendship". Ultimately, they graduated, he stayed sober, she didn't, and she continued to contact him incessently when she was drunk and rambling, etc. He told me that he just couldn't jeopardize his recovery by remaining friends with her when she obviously wasn't working her program. When she wouldn't heed his requests to stop calling, he resorted to having a friend tell her he was in jail so she would go away. Sure, sounds extreme, but there was apparently a one-sided thing going on here that he wasn't even aware was being interpreted as such.

Who knows? We each are responsible for our own recovery. Hanging with healthy people or people who are truly working their program are our best mentors.

I hope I have not offended anyone......
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Walkoffaith I do not see how you could have offended anyone, what you shared is true, however it is not by the defenition used in my area of AA of what 13th stepping is, 13th stepping is someone with a good deal of sobriety taking advantage of a newcomer or folks in AA for nothing more then to take advantage of newcomers. Both of them are predators, very sick disgusting predators!

Newcomer romance is a tough one for sponsors to try to convince newcomers to avoid, some times we succeed, some times we fail.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post Walk of Faith...OK, it may not be 13th stepping as understood by AA, but that doesn't diminish the issue, and I'm glad it was raised here.

D
Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Taz, you raise a very good point. 13th stepping is not limited to those seeking dates, it extends to those using others in AA for their own benefit or amusement.

I want to be clear, in my time, I have seen it very infrequently. It is not a common thing. Most people in AA really frown on it and will actively deal with the 13th steppers when they show up.

Just more of my 2 cents.

Levi
Old 05-02-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Who knows? We each are responsible for our own recovery. Hanging with healthy people or people who are truly working their program are our best mentors.

Ditto Walk of Faith....

Good advice for anyone...male or female....if this is kept in

mind....safety is then a given.

But folks should keep this in mind as well...there are no heroes

or "sober gods" in the Programs...a person is to work their

own ..or take their Steps...and not rely 100% on any "expert".

One dear old old timer lady who sponsored countless people

in AA.....always told her protege's...

Don't even tell your sponsor everything...tell it to God..or

a minister...because your sponsor is apt to go out and get drunk

and then your story might be all over town!

"We are all one drink away from a drunk"...

Love,

:

Sherry
Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Ok well here's my assessment. First, I'm a dude not a lass. I hang out mostly at Substance Abuse, but I'm actually a pureblood alkie through and through. I just amassed 11 years sober on April 15th.

Go me.

This posting is not directed at Leviathon, believe it or not. lol I don't know her/him. I am only addressing the issue, which is an interesting one. (So no offense, Levi!!) My reaction to the PSA was identical to Communicat's--overdone, especially in light of the PSA already sticky'd forum-wide.

Hey, I was taught stranger-danger when I was four. lol And I have absolutely no less confidence that the female counterpart of my species can protect themselves just fine...

I am unaware of the "rash of recent slayings"... lol as a result of meetings originating on SR. As such, I think this is creating a boogey'man' (with the VERY sexist emphasis on man).

Another issue no one has thought of... Just who are we to tell others "don't have sex" or "don't talk to people who want sex, they are all baaaad."

lol Give me a break now--that's a 12-Step guideline. It is none of SR's business to dictate this level of behavior, regardless of the intentions behind doing so.

I seriously agree with IO Storm and others here that people are going to do what they damned well want behind closed doors, and it is not the role of this forum to report, snoop, or otherwise babysit its members. Not in this area. I am sorry, that is my opinion.

Cheers, though everyone! I hope everyone is doing ok

Ten
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

So what you're saying, is that it's perfectly OK for women to be harassed (either sexually or otherwise)? I think you need make an appointment to get your head removed from your anus, Ten. SoberRecovery does not aspire to control the behavior of its members. Our emphasis is on handling inappropriate behavior.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
To Life!

Always has been, Midas. I agree!

And, there are women and men both who can become vulnerable at times. Especially when dealing with drugs and alcoholism by the self or others.

When those PEOPLE get illegally harrassed, threatened, verbally or physically assaulted, and let us know, it *is* the responsibility of the forum mods and admins to do their jobs.
Regardless of anyone's opinion.

Shalom!

Last edited by historyteach; 05-02-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Ten Chips Down View Post
I just amassed 11 years sober on April 15th.

Go me.
It is none of SR's business to dictate this level of behavior, regardless of the intentions behind doing so.
Ya want to know my opinion Ten? Well I will give it anyway.
My opinion "as a member here not as a mod"

With 11 years sober as of April 15... I don't think you need the services that SR provides. SR is not AA and they can do as they please and I do know that anyone who does not agree with what goes on here for any reason can stop showing up any time they so choose. For someone who says they have 11 years... in my opinion... you don't show it so well and if you were to never come back it wouldn't bother me one bit.

Now speaking as a mod...

We are a mix of many people here and some people are sicker then others. Some people are more vulnerable then others and I see it as my job as a fellow human and a mod to help protect in any way I can those who are the prey of the people who seek to take advantage of the weak and vulnerable.
As a mod that is human and because of my opinion of your sharing... I stand aside when it comes to dealing with you and your opinion but don't you ever get in my way if I am trying to protect someone who is hurting and vulnerable because PMs will fly and admin will either have you leave or have me leave because there are some things that I as an individual will not tolerate at all.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Wow!

We have rules to go by here at SR also just in case no one has read them I will post them!

SoberRecovery.com Forums Guidelines

1. These forums are the property of SoberRecovery.com with a grant of sponsorship by parent company, The Mulligan Group. SoberRecovery.com reserves the right to revision of guidelines at any time This forum is provided as a “free” service to embody a community of members sharing their processes from an addiction through recovery. This venue is our responsibility. Membership is a privilege, and we reserve the right to reject member posts or to cancel member privileges at any time at our sole discretion.

2. We do not endorse any particulars group name or affiliate our forums with any organization. Mention of a particulars group name is only used to help members assemble their topics and posts in an orderly manner. We attempt to keep the forums free from advertisements, pay per click systems and other revenue generating systems.

3. Though we may substitute certain words and phrases deemed universally offensive, we protect freedom of speech. These forums are regulated and if you find that disturbing, you may wish to reconsider participation. However, with the intention of maintaining civil dialogue in the forum, some violations of conduct, described in the section below, still apply and will be enforced.

4. The forum moderators may reject posts based on their interpretation of these guidelines and specifically the violations listed in the section below. The infringing member may be warned, suspended, subjected to post moderation or have his/her membership permanently revoked, depending on the severity of the violation(s), as deemed by their discretion. Repetitive violation or disregard of our warnings may result in stricter civil and legal actions.

5. It is our intent to protect the real-world identity and privacy of those who wish to maintain online anonymity.

6. There are laws, both civil and criminal, against certain forms of speech, if so proven in court, such as libel, defamation of character, harassment and threats. We do not assess these matters of law. However, it is the prerogative of any member to pursue legal action. All members should realize there may be serious consequences for illegal behavior.

7. Any ISP rules apply to all e-mail, chat and instant messaging even if they are in response to posts or discussions on our boards. All members are personally responsible for whatever they say in private communications such as e-mail, chat and instant messaging may find unwanted or offensive material actionable.

8. Members open links or URL's in posts at their own risk. However, links posted that are in violation of any of our rules may also be subject to censure.

9. Ignorance of these guidelines is not an acceptable excuse for violations.

SoberRecovery.com Forums General Principles

Tolerance: Please respect the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which differ from yours. Our Sober Recovery Forum members are of many nationalities, ages, and cultures. Healthy, vigorous debate will further our goals, but only when guided by the tolerance that springs from mutual embrace of mission.

Intellectual Freedom: Embrace diversity of practice. It is impossible to understand an action without first understanding the actor and their environment. Know that varied environments call for varied response. Your way may not be the best way.

Freedom of Speech: We resist censorship in favor of free speech. Within our forums, we support the broadest range of perspectives and expression, for it is the unification of diversity to cause that gives strength to our community. We are committed to equal opportunity. Influence and responsibility here are inseparable, and both spring solely from a demonstrated commitment to furthering the topics discussed in our forums. Bear in mind, however, that some language and conduct is still considered inappropriate. Please do not give medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice.

Responsible Behavior: Your attendance here carries a responsibility. Ours is a mission of mind and perspective, and consequently, attention is our most precious resource. Do not waste what attention you may attract, nor seek to attract it with wasteful actions. Remember that personal worldview is a most powerful motivator; never treat another's lightly.

SoberRecovery.com Forums Violations

1. Spamming: Advertising, defined as the buying, selling or trading of any commercial or personal product or service, or the solicitation of money, such as for investments, charities, or private gatherings. This includes posting messages for the sole purpose of promoting personal agendas that are in the opinion of forum moderators.

2. Posting of links that would violate our guidelines or that may present a technical threat if accessed. Promotional links of any kind are not allowed. That holds for both commercial and for non-commercial sites. Links to informational, inspirational, and educational sites not related to products or services are permitted. Do not post addresses or links to other forums or blogs. You may post your personal link in your profile as your homepage. Do not post links to sites that flame another recovery method or recovery group. Do not post links, broken links, or counters and trackers in signatures or post images with scripts or codes linked from another site. All links that violate forum rules will be removed.

3. Breaching of privacy: Solicitation of names and addresses or other personal information for commercial purposes or, in the case of minors, for any purpose. Revealing personal information, including e-mail addresses, about other members that would identify them in the real world and which they have not otherwise made public online. This includes posting the contents of emails, private messages, private phone conversations, and/or any other private information that has not been shared on the forums by the member personally.

4. Trolling: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant.

5. Flooding: Any action apparently intended to consume board space or to hamper other member postings, including the posting of essentially identical threads into different forums or identical replies into different threads. This is called cross posting and is not allowed. Duplicate threads and posts will be removed without notice.

6. Posts encrypted to prevent other members from reading them.

7. Materials that violate the law such as copyright infringements.

8. Posts seeking to circumvent these guidelines.

9. If you feel that a decision has been made arbitrarily you may contact an Administrator privately for clarification. Publicly denouncing the actions of a Forum Leader or Administrator can lead to having your membership permanently revoked.

***Please be aware that any posts that contain serious threats of suicide or serious threats to harm another person may be reported to the proper authorities. Reasonably suspected child abuse may also be reported. Some of our volunteers on the forums are mandated by law to report suspected child abuse and must report according to the laws of their state***

Posting Tips

Make sure you are posting in the correct forum. If you're not sure where to post, please introduce yourself on the newcomers forum and ask for directions..

Please don't write all in UPPERCASE - Please write using uppercase and lowercase letters. Topic titles and whole messages that are all in UPPERCASE are considered to be the written version of SHOUTING, and are harder to read than normally-written text.

Please break up your posts with paragraphs. Typing a 400 word run-on sentence is very difficult to read. Your posts are important and members will likely skip over what you have to say if your posts are hard to read.

Please don't post private information - Use caution when posting your phone number, address, photo and other personal information. These forums are read by tens of thousands of people around the world.

Remember that it's hard to interpret the meaning of posts correctly when all you have is the written word without voice tones and facial expressions. If something offends you it's a good idea to give yourself 30 minutes to calm down before replying.

If you feel your message has been unreasonably deleted, or if you wish to complain about a post that you find offensive then please get in touch with the moderators through a private message. Don't try to handle the situation yourself. It often makes the situation worse.

Now this is my OPINION since I am not suppose to use upper case letters
But if you know me and my personality than I am not shouting but just trying to make sure that I am heard.

For one and I don't want to get into it a lot, but 13 steppers is no where in the program of NA/AA!

The old preamble as it was written states that we probably shouldn't listen to anything said that isn't mentioned in the AA Big Book. No where in the first 164 pages does it talk about 13 steppers and is a matter of fact no where in the first 164 pages of the AA Big Book does it talk about sponsorship.

HOWEVER

In the NA Basic Text it does talk about sponsorship all over the first 103 pages. It also talks about in the IP that men with men and women with women when it comes to sponsorship. That is it.

We are all human, let us not forget that. One part of the Big Book that I love but it is so hard to live by.....

"IF I complain about you or I complain about me I am complaining about Gods Handy work this is saying that I know better than GOD!"

Who am I to judge someone for what they are doing. I have a checked past just like the rest of us here. NONE of us have been degraded enough to join in the Spirit of Love and to show respect! What is the message behind the 12 Steps? My sponsor told me that it is RESPECT!

Respect for who? EVERYONE! I am sorry but I don't like the sarcastic remarks that are being made. That isn't proper nor is it suppose to happen on the forums according to the rules of SR!

I don't want to hear that if they knew back then about the so called 13 step that it would have been in the big book either. Bill W. from what I understand had a affair also, so should we belittle him as well? Come on guys,

WHO HASN'T SINNED CAST THE FIRST STONE TO ME PLEASE!

With Love and Respect

Vic

OH BTW "I am not responsible for my disease but I am responsible for my own recovery"

That is a quote out of the NA Basic Text which tells me that I am no longer a victim