Notices

how to quit

Old 05-04-2003, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bobm1962

how to quit

Hi new to this board. I have tried several ways to stop drinking AA detox etc. Still I have not stopped.I am an embarassment to myself and to my family. I need to get a hold on my life. My wife and kids will probaly leave me soon. I am affriad I will totally loose it after that happens,Any advice?

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Bob

Welcome to the forums. Different things work for different people. Check out the numerous resources at the bottom of the main page. Hopefully, you will find something there that can work for you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Take care.
Debbie
Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are many ways to quit and, from what you said, you definitely need to. The fastest potential method that I know of is the way that worked for me. I read Rational Recovery - The New cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey (Amazon or your local bookstore) while I was drinking martinis one night and, after the first few chapters, have not had a drink since and don't want one. You can take the crash course, but in my opinion, it is no substitute for reading the book. It has been very easy for me. If that is not for you, however, try AA or any method listed in the Alternatives links on this web site. I am simply recommending what I believe to be the fastest and least expensive method in terms of time and money, so you might as well at least start with that. It does not work for everyone though. Best of luck.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I found I needed to go through a recovery program to get me strong enough to fight the addiction. Actually I'm in my second recovery program right now. I went into a fairly extensive program last May, and went to classes & groups there for 6 months, and stayed sober about 8 months before relapsing. I totally resisted going to AA meetings, and had not developed any kind of recovery support, and ended up relapsing every 2 - 3 weeks over a 3 month period. I got my self into another outpatient program 2 weeks ago, and it's doing me a whole lot of good. This time I'm going to AA meetings, and getting a sponser and following the advice and using the tools taught to me the first time around. I wish every addict could and would go to a intensive recovery program. I call it my sobriety brain washing, and I need it.