Notices

Sorry big let down

Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am seeing a counsellor for the a*use, it does help but after like now, everything feels so raw and its difficult not to go to the pub and have a drink, to go to the shops and by a bottle of vodka...the urges, I'm not sure I'm ready for this to be honest. Maybe I should have waited until I could stop and control the urges. Sorry
Old 04-20-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lost_child View Post
I've failed, I've let you down, I've let everyone down...I couldn't deal with a flashback of my childhood and feeling really low, alone and scared, as I walked pass the shop I went in and got a bottle of wine and 4 cans it was like automatic, I've started drinking the cans I feel dizzy and light headed yet I can't stop. something happens and I head straight for a drink, I've aready take 8 tramadol my other addoction, i've messed up again..will I always be like this, will it always be the bottle who I turn too when i can't deal with something. i'm really sorry, sory.
I am sorry you are going through this. I had a friend in early recovery that this happened to; she started having the flashbacks immediately after putting down her drug of choice. She would sit in meetings and just shake and cry. It made me so mad, I had the 'why God's' about her, why did she have to deal with that being right on the surface, when other people would get sober and be sober for a decade or more before their memories came back of things like this. What I do is open a new document on my computer and type, starting with 'I feel'. I know you are typing here into this forum so you can type your feelings out, without editing them in any way, just let it all out. You can call people in the program, go to a meeting, whatever it takes at the moment for you not to drink. You haven't gone through withdrawal so everything in your being will be trying to get you to drink again once you start detoxing in the slightest. Maybe detox would be an avenue to explore. I am sorry your struggle is so hard, but when you do get sober you will be able to share every bit of hardhip you are having now with newcomers, none of it will be in vain, you'll see.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lost_child View Post
Thank you for all your replies. I've read them all but need time to digest that people aren't shouting at me, telling me I'm stupid, a failure...so its kinda of weird that people are understanding. I'm feeling fragile today after a very difficult day and night yesterday but this morning i didn't drink, this afternoon I'm not drinking. I need to get through the next few hours without a drink.
hey lost child...we understand cos we've all been through, or are going through, the struggle...you're not stupid or a failure...just one of us.

the urges, I'm not sure I'm ready for this to be honest. Maybe I should have waited until I could stop and control the urges. Sorry
sorry, bah !
this forum is for those trying to stop as much as it is for those who have...hey, probably even more so...

keep posting...I've made it over two weeks sober and still feel 'strong'...pretty much unprecedented for me...and this place has had a lot to do with that.

D
Old 04-20-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
lost child, you have had the first one, being an alcoholic myself I know you will finish the rest and if you are dizzy alrady you will not be ready to really grasp what is being said.

What I am going to strongly suggest is that once your head starts to clear you call your AA hotline and ask for advice of what you can do to get some help as soon as possible.

You do not need to tell us you are sorry, I/we have been right where you are at right now. It is very hard to make that initial leap into sobriety all at once with out help. For me and many others I could not do it on my own, I needed people to help me.

I am not going to tell you to go to an AA meeting and all will be good, you are at the stage that I was at right now. I knew I had to stop, but I could not, I could not go a full day without drinking.

I put myself into detox, there they gave me medications to help me withdraw from the alcohol with out me going through hallucinations & convulsions, they also filled me up on vitamins and gave me medications to keep my blood pressure under control as well as to kill the craving.

You need to see a doctor as soon as you can about this, if you can not arrange this or get some one to arrange it then call that AA hotline, they will at a minimum give you numbers of places to call to get you the medical attention you will need to withdraw.

Once you are sober long enough to be past the physical withdrawals of alcohol, then you need to get your self into some sort of recovery program, re-hab would probably be best if that is possible for you, I didn't do rehab myself, I threw myself heart and soul into AA. AA saved my life.

There are other programs that I have heard work, but none of them will work unless you follow the suggestions they give you to stay sober.

You are not alone my friend, pick up the phone when you start to sober up and call for help. We will all be here rooting for you.

You can do this, if I did it after 40 years of drinking so can you, it is not easy, but it is well worth it.

I couldn't say it any better than any one else, so

I reposted Taz's great advice, you didn't let us down.

But trying to do this with out help, does'nt seem to be working.

So see a doctor, and get assessed, please.

Hugs to you, hope3
Old 04-20-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Lost -

You've been given some great advice here. I have nothing new to add, but just want to encourage you to see a doctor and come up with a plan. We've all been there -

TinLizzy