Day 5

Old 05-03-2003, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
twnkl

Day 5

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the posts,
I have learned a lot,
I mostly wanted to know what to expect going through withdrawal and how long it would
last,
I know it is different for everyone,
I am in out patient treatment for depression and alcohol abuse and realize now that I
really am an alcoholic,
Today I feel great , the last 2 days were rough , I was very depressed and once I laid
down I couldn't move,
I sounded and acted like I was drunk , I was also very anxious, had heart palpitations and
felt like a junky, nervous shaky etc. I guess I just want to know if this is normal, I
suppose in a way I am still questioning if I really am an alcoholic (though my heart seems
to tell me I am, my head is having a hard time accepting it
Is this normal?
Can you let me know what else to expect so I can recognize it when it happens,
It is very had to find info on withdrawal symptoms and how long they last,
I am attending AA but haven't had the courage to speak up yet,
Thanks again to everyone who posts such helpful info,

Old 05-03-2003, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

twnkl

Welcome, I'm glad you found us here,

When I stopped drinking I was inpatient, for a week, by the end of that week I felt a lot better physiclly, but I was foggy for a while longer, the shakes and stuff your getting sound like what I went through,
as far as being an alcoholic, if you continue to go to A.A. you will find the answer to that, at least I did anyway.
I had a real hard time speaking in meetings too, so one thing that helped was a saw a couple people share in meetings that i really identified with, and they were now sober and happy, I found it easier to just talk to people one on one at first, after the meeting, eventually I was able to speak up in the meetings.

accepting the fact that I am an alcoholic, was one of the hardest things I ever did, but its also the thing that set me free.

good luck to you, it does get better, hang in there.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi twnkl,welcome to SR.

The physical discomfort you feel now will soon pass.Years of drinking takes a heavy toll on our bodies and mind but with rest and proper nutrition you will start to feel better again.

Keep going to meetings and dont worry about speaking if you feel you are not ready for it.

I attended meetings for weeks before I finally accepted the fact that I was an alcoholic.

Reading the literature and listening to the sharing of others at meetings helped to open my eyes to the insane and destructive patterns in my life.

If you really think you have a drinking problem AA can help you but in the meantime please feel free to hang out here with us as long as you like.

Peter.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
twnkl

day 5

Thanks for your replies,
It is great to find support and I plan to keep going to meetings,
Everytime I go I get something out of it,
Thanks again

Old 05-06-2003, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

twnkl - Welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing your experience.

When I got sober, I didn't have many physical symptoms (I was a 'weekend warrior' only drinking 2-3 days a week). But I was using alcohol to medicate an anxiety disorder.

For about the first month of sobriety, I was a real SOB, with moods swinging from depressed to nasty and angry at everyone.

For me, "learning to live life on life's terms" meant learning to feel my emotions, good and bad. It was tough at first, but gets easier with time.

I can totally relate about not liking to share at meetings. I still worry about it - 'what if I say something wrong?' But there is no right or wrong, it's just people sharing their experience, strength and hope.

Something that worked for me was going to Beginner meetings where they went around the table and all the beginners spoke. But I wouldn't worry about it. You'll share when you're ready.

Welcome. Good luck and God bless.