Notices

day 21!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking day 21!

Hi everyone!

Today marks three weeks without a drink. I wanted to say thanks to everyone on this board. I haven't posted much, but I come here and read threads several times a day. It has really, really helped me. Thanks everyone!!

I've noticed a few things that have changed since I stopped drinking.
-Way more emotions in general - good and bad!
-I sleep so well now. Better than ever. I have extremely vivid dreams nightly, too.
-I'm so hungry all the time, and I crave foods that I never did before.

One other thing that I've noticed is the increased amount of time that I have in a day. This has been good and bad. For work, it's been great!! But, I noticed that I don't have the desire to spend my time doing the activities that I used to like to do while drinking. In the evenings, I have big gaps of time before I go to bed where I simply don't feel like doing anything. I feel like I need to do something, but I can't figure out what it is. This has been frustrating. I feel like I could be using this time to do fun, new things, yet I don't want to do anything. This board has really helped in those times so far.

Thanks again!

confound
Old 04-18-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go confound!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

confound,

amazing accomplishment for a drunk!!!! congrats!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Keep Comin' Back Confound,

And.....

DON'T DRINK NO MATTER WHAT.

Love,

:

Sherry
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

confound i feel like that too a lot of the time when i'm not drinking. i know i should be doing something constructive and i just don't feel like doing anything... i kinda wander around and generally (just like the past 3 days) drag out a bunch of junk or books and then it kinda sits out for awhile before i get myself to clean it up.

congrats on 21 -- thats awesome!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 21 days confound.

You say you have a lot of free time now and want to put it to some good use?

Well I can tell you what I do at least 4 nights a week, I help other alcoholics get and stay sober. It helps me stay sober and in doing that I have made some true friends, have had some great laughs, shed a few tears, given and been given hugs, learned how to be a better and happier person and helped others do the same, set up meetings and clean up afterwards. I keep giving and even though I want nothing in return I get far more back then I give.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

confound,

I had a big problem with feeling like I needed to do something but didn't know what it was... and didn't feel like doing anything... but I had to do something... it was like I wasn't comfortable in my own skin...

I had little or no motivation and didn't want to do anything, at home or at work. I still don't have nearly the drive I once had... but it is coming back. I think the big thing for me was wanting it to come back and then believing it would. I want to have passion for my work and it just isn't there but I am believing it will.

You could sit around waiting for something to fall from the sky and hit you... saying here you go.. .here is the thing to make you happy. Here is the thing to do that you were looking for. Or you could just pick something and go do it. If it is boring then you have lost nothing... you would have been bored just sitting there anyways... this way you at least have some chance of finding that something...

Believe you will be happy and you will. Your mind finds ways to support what you think... think so and so is mean and you will see every mean thing they do and overlook the good... believe they are good and you will see the good.. and find a way to overlook the bad...

BELIEVE you will be happy... BELIEVE you ARE happy and you will be... If you have heard "fake it 'till you make it" I think that is really just this principle in action. Act like you are happy then you start believing it... then you just are it...

---The Stockdale Paradox ---
Retain fath that you will
Prevail in the end,
regardless of the difficulties.

AND at the same time

Confront the most brutal
facts of your current reality,
whatever they might be
Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Way to go... 3 weeks is sweet !

Who says you must do something with the free time... if you don't feel like doing anything after work give yourself a break and just veg out with the TV, computer, books, whatever. You can get into a new hobby when the mood strikes.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Confound.

Congrats on 21 days! Emotions can be a roller coaster, but they will level out a bit more as you go. I found that I had to make a real effort not to get too upset. Early in my sobriety, I would often make "gratitude lists" when I was upset. Thinking about positive things is important when negative thoughts creep in.

You're doing great. I hope you keep coming here, and posting. Sharing how we feel can help us recover.
chip
Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hi Confound,

You could do worse things than hanging around here!

When I first got sober I read several books on addiction. I wanted to learn as much as I could about my disease.

Good to meet you,

Ted
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Talking

Thanks so much for the kind words and tips, everyone! This place and everyone here is a godsend!

Take care,

confound
Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety and the three weeks. That is awesome and I am happy for you.

In terms of the free time, I found the same thing. At first I was a bit lost... now I have found that free time is good for doing things for me... fun things, stuff around the house, relaxing, connecting with friends, reading, exercising, etc.

It takes a while to find things to do with yourself, but eventually you find that you do have a fully and happy life. You just have to keep at it.

Peace, Levi
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Confound - I Know exactly what you mean. When drinking, I use any free sober time I have like crazy - knowing that if I don't get it done now, it might not get done later. When I don't drink - that panic leaves me and I know I will get around to it at some stage. Little things just don't seem so important. I have puzzles lying around and half started books. Go with the flow. 21 days is so wonderful. Well done you!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congradulations Confound , I'm trying my damnedest to catch up to you (only 9 days by his grace ). I have faith that I will and wish you and everyone , continued successes and daily victories ,I've posted several times that I had been depressed or some personal crap had me feeling down , but there is a reason to celebrate and rejoice with everyday that we are granted sober. IT'S MAJOR !!!!! Good Wishes , Prayers and Love for you and all who post here at SR , you guys are really a blessing to me. I also have a lot of time to kill , school does'nt start till the 30th, but I am determined not to drink or use no matter how bored I am . Thinking of something to do today , Right now . again Happy 21rst day , Love..... JEI