Notices

Closed Meetings question

Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Closed Meetings question

I'm not an AA guy but I feel I need to listen / talk now when I am nearing my (new) 50th sober day so perhaps the meetings would be the best choice for me to share.

What this (Closed Meeting) really means? I cannot go to such a meeting or?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi wozzak! congrats on the 50 days--that's big! closed meetings are open to alcoholics or those who suspect that they are alcoholics. (open meetings anyone can attend--friends, family etc.)

check out the main aa site for more info
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good question. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In closed meetings, those that do not identify themselves as alcoholics are asked to leave (hopefully in a polite manner).

The idea, as I understand it is that people will open up more and the meeting will at the same time stay more focused. Not so many of them anymore here.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In closed meetings, those that do not identify themselves as alcoholics are asked to leave (hopefully in a polite manner).
Yup. I've seen it. It's really uncomfortable for me to watch, but , our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help others achieve sobreity. If you don't want to get sober, and attend a closed meeting, you're jeopardizing the sobriety of those who ARE there to get sober, and will be asked to leave.

That said, stick around till afterwards, someone will be glad to talk to you and give out their number. Or, just get on line and find an open meeting.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been to many closed meetings and never seen anyone asked to leave. In my area "closed" means that you are, or believe that you may be, an alcoholic. It is not open to family, friends, or court people who do not believe they have a problem.

TinLizzy
Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am with Tinlizzy on this, it is understood from the get go in a closed meeting that only people who have a desire to get or stay sober are to attend in my area. I have never heard of any one being asked to leave a meeting if they did not say they were an alcoholic.

Wozzek I am not familiar with AA meetings in your area, but obviously you qualify as a member of AA simply by the fact that you have the desire to no longer drink. Call your local AA hotline and ask them about that in your area if you have a problem in a closed meeting of alcoholics saying you are an alcoholic, but no where in any AA literature have I ever seen anything that says in order to share at any meeting you have to introduce yourself as an alcoholic.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

OK, a closed meeting.

A closed meeting is open to "members" of AA.

An open meeting can be attended by friends, family, anyone interested, newspaper reporters, clergy, substance abuse counsilors, in other words the general public is welcome to attend.

So, how does one become a 'member' of AA?

Well, the only requirement for membership is a "Desire to stop drinking".

If you have a desire to stop drinking and you SAY you are a member, then you are a member.

Also, no-one can be kicked out of AA.

It's all in the literature and the literature is very very clear on this subject.

Good Luck!

Ted