Notices

So ashamed

Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

So ashamed

Well, I have no one to blame but myself. This past Friday I went on a date and we took shots (many shots) of rum and gin. In my defence I didn't get too out of control and drunk like I normally did, but the point is I should not have done it as I threw away 5 monthe of alcohol sobriety.I thought I met a good girl but she likes to party and that is NOT good for a recovering alcoholic/addict. I felt (and in a way still do) like a complete failure and disapointment but instead of feeling sorry for myself I asked GOD for forgiveness looked myself in the mirror and got back on the right path, the path to recovery and I promise you that I will try harder but I can make no promises (AA/NA teaches you not to) that I will never relapse again but I WILL work the steps much harder than ever.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and take another run at sobriety.

We don't shoot our wounded Brian, just keep coming back. You'll be alright.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your honesty - you didn't throw away the sobriety, friend - I'm sure you learned plenty in those 5 months that gave you the courage to begin again. I'm glad you're here, and hope to see more posts from you.

Rowan
Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

don't beat yourself up or lose hope, brian. blessings, k
Old 04-16-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

You are very brave to be here and admit slipping.....you are much stronger than I was early in sobriety. A big hug and welcome back.

Cathy
Old 04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brian,

You still have 5 months of sobriety and it's benefits. Try to look at this slip as a lesson learned. We all make mistakes. Take this experience and have a plan of action for the future, before the next temptation to drink arises.

Stop beating yourself up and give yourself a pat on the back for your honesty.

Remember you don't have to drink today or ever again.

Hugs,

Carol
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Brian -

It sounds like you have the will to keep trying and that is the most important thing. Learn from this experience and keep going.

Thanks for your honesty.

TinLizzy
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
We don't shoot our wounded Brian
Well said Astro.

Also just put that baseball bat away Brian and quit beating yourself up.

Welcome back,

Ted
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Brian what shame?

My God man hold your head HIGH!!!!

Take pride in your honesty, take pride in getting back on that horse!

Brian you helped keep me sober today along with a lot of other people here, but not only that, but you have made a huge step forward in your own sobriety!

Thank you Brian for being honest and getting back on the wagon to show us how it should be done.

Pride in this instance is a good thing!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

Thanks everyone for the support. I no longer feel ashamed, I chalk this one up as a stumble. I WILL not give up and never surrender to my addictions as I love life too much.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Joi

Red face

Way to go, Brian! Untried virtue isn't virtue at all!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

Yeah, Astro! We certainly don't shoot our wounded!

Brian, props for the honesty... you help keep me sober by sharing your experience, strength, and hope. Take good care!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian1978 View Post
Well, I have no one to blame but myself. This past Friday I went on a date and we took shots (many shots) of rum and gin. In my defence I didn't get too out of control and drunk like I normally did, but the point is I should not have done it as I threw away 5 monthe of alcohol sobriety.I thought I met a good girl but she likes to party and that is NOT good for a recovering alcoholic/addict. I felt (and in a way still do) like a complete failure and disapointment but instead of feeling sorry for myself I asked GOD for forgiveness looked myself in the mirror and got back on the right path, the path to recovery and I promise you that I will try harder but I can make no promises (AA/NA teaches you not to) that I will never relapse again but I WILL work the steps much harder than ever.

Thanks for sharing that Brian. I went almost ten years in AA without understanding what a relapse was. When people would come in the meetings and talk about having relapsed, to be honest I think I felt something akin to pity. I hugged them, and I listened to them, and they kept me sober, but I didn't understand until I relapsed myself. I don't recommend it, but it increased the depth of my recovery and made me useful in a way that I was not before. No way would I change back to the way it was before. Now when I talk to people who've relapsed, I KNOW what that is like, and I can be a testimony to the fact that you can start over again. I don't even think about 'time' much anymore, and I was surprised when the five year mark came around again in November. An oldtimer in one of the meetings I went to used to say of his relapse that if he hadn't done it, he'd still have it in front of him. Many people don't make it back from relapses but for those that do, it is only an asset in our ability to help other alcoholics.