Notices

hunger

Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hunger

I've recently had a two week break from classes of which I pretty much spent drunk. As soon as my holidays ended I decided to detox... I'm not necessarily sure if I am prepared to quit drinking altogether, but I at least intend to give myself a long break to get my body back into shape. What I have noticed in these past few days is my insatiable appetite. I am only eating healthy foods, but I find myself constantly craving more and more. Is this common? During my two-week binge, (before the holidays, my regular drinking habits usually see me drunk about 3 nights a week on average) I wasn't eating much at all and I wouldn't feel hungry a great deal either. I think I read on here that alcoholics receive the message from their liver that the alcohol is "food"... or something like that? When I am drinking heavily I don't eat very much for a few reasons, (which you can all probably relate to!)... a.) I feel like eating will interrupt the getting-drunk process - or at least delay it a bit, and b.) eventually I just lose my desire for food. Towards the end of the night, after I am well and truly drunk, my body yearns for some proper nourishment so I'll cram something greasy and unappealing down my throat, but aside from that it doesn't bother me much.

So, after all of that, I'm really just curious if this is a common thing? I can't seem to feel "full". It almost feels like the cravings for food ya get when you're quitting smoking.

Thanks for listening,
Bunky. x.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a sugar, calorie laden ,and easily digestable. And yes, your body will metabolize alcohol with a priority over other substances. But, it's empty calories with no nutrients. It even prohibits the uptake of certain vitamins (the B family).

Being hungry is normal. You're malnourished.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunky View Post
I think I read on here that alcoholics receive the message from their liver that the alcohol is "food"... or something like that? a.) I feel like eating will interrupt the getting-drunk process - or at least delay it a bit, and b.) eventually I just lose my desire for food. Towards the end of the night, after I am well and truly drunk, my body yearns for some proper nourishment so I'll cram something greasy and unappealing down my throat, but aside from that it doesn't bother me much.

It bothers me!

I am pleased you are on this site. You will find lots of love, understanding and support here and heaps of good advice. And a bit of motherly advice - lay off hte booze a bit longer and eat your greens!!!

Hugs.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm not necessarily sure if I am prepared to quit drinking altogether, but I at least intend to give myself a long break to get my body back into shape.
Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so by de-toxing to get your body back into shape may very well do that for your body, but it will do nothing for alcoholism.

Every time an alcoholic detoxes the worse it is, in other words detox is easier on ones body if they drink hard for 10 years and then detox then it is if they detox every 2 years for 10 years.

Detoxing does not, I repeat does not reset your alcoholism back to zero, alcoholism picks right back up where you left off when you quit drinking, in other words if you are an alcoholic your disease will never get better, you can only halt the progression of the disease by not drinking, you can go 15 years with out drinking and if you start again your disease will start right back up in its progression as if you never stopped.

Alcoholics as thier disease progresses actually start to suffer from malnutrion because their body uses sugars from alcohol as it's primary source of energy and starts to store other energy sources as fat in the liver (Fatty liver, which leads to cirrisis) as long as one keeps pouring alcohol into thier body. Your entire digestive track slowly starts to not process food properly because there is no need for it as long as an alcoholic drinks.

my body yearns for some proper nourishment so I'll cram something greasy and unappealing down my throat, but aside from that it doesn't bother me much.
If you are an alcoholic as your disease progresses you will lose that need for food. Remember an alcoholics alcoholism NEVER gets better, it always gets worse with every drink.

If you determine you are an alcoholic and can quit drinking now, I would highly advice to stay quit, because dextox gets harder every time and eventually with out medical assistance can kill you, and quitting gets harder and harder physically and mentally.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by bunky View Post
What I have noticed in these past few days is my insatiable appetite. I am only eating healthy foods, but I find myself constantly craving more and more. Is this common?
It is for me. After a week long binge, it'd take me a day or so to really get hungry again, as opposed to eating because I felt I had to, but then, man, pig out city...I was like the bucket guy in Python's Meaning of Life

When I am drinking heavily I don't eat very much for a few reasons, (which you can all probably relate to!)... a.) I feel like eating will interrupt the getting-drunk process - or at least delay it a bit, and b.) eventually I just lose my desire for food.
Yeah me too - although I used to think it was the cigarettes (chain smoking and drinking went pretty much hand in hand for me) from what I've read in here and elsewhere, the alcohol plays its part too...

Good luck with your long break, Bunky. Good to see another Aussie round - let us know how it goes....

peace
D
Old 04-16-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Bunky,

I don't eat very well drunk or sober. It's not an eating disorder, I just never have had a good appetite.

Good luck -

TinLIzzy
Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I must be the only person in the universe that eats more when drinking.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, you're body may be requiring some extra nourishment whilst in repair mode..but also, you may just be feeding your "craves" or general anxiety, discomfort, boredom etc. with food.

I certainly eat a little more now that I'm sober...but hey, I rarely used to eat dinner. I used those calories for booze.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Bunky,

Welcome to SR, and welcome to our forum.

I agree it's normal to be hungry. You are probably malnurished. I read Taz's post, and I got alot out of what was said there. If you are an alcoholic, the best thing to do is to stop drinking. If you are a heavy drinker, the best thing to do is stop drinking. If alcohol is causing any problems in your life, the best thing to do is stop drinking.

Alcohol is a cunning, baffling and powerful drug. It can kill, or lead you along half dead. There was a time when it was fun for all of us. Some have chased the "good times" to the gates of death or insanity. Some have decided to become sober.

I hope you find answers that work for you in your life.
peace,
chip
Old 04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody Your responses were very helpful. I realise I have a lot of things to consider right now. kisses and hugs. x
Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Talluleh View Post
I must be the only person in the universe that eats more when drinking.
It was that way for me too. Every time we'd spend a night drinking we all got a massive craving for greasy fast food. We always got taco bell. I don't even like that place that much.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My craving was as crazy as this sounds chocolate chip cookies and milk!!! I know doesn't that sound yummy a belly full of beer topped of with cookies and milk! LOL
Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Since I stoped drinking, I've had cravings that I've never had before. I never had a sweettooth before, but in the last three weeks, I've eaten more chocolate than the last three years combined, I would guess. Chocolate bars.. chocolate milk.. chocolate chip cookies!

In general, I've been eating a lot more, on a much more regular basis, since I stopped drinking. It is simply spread out across more meals now, so it doesn't seem like I'm eating as much. Before though, I would barely eat during the day, drinking a couple thousand calories of alcohol, then binge on junk food before bed. Blech - waking up is so much nicer now.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Confound I found my intake of Tums went from 10-20 an evening to zero in a week!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Confound,

I am the same! After I stopped for a while, I got a very bad case of sweet tooth. While drinking, I could only manage savoury food. What IS that?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hi Confound,

I am the same! After I stopped for a while, I got a very bad case of sweet tooth. While drinking, I could only manage savoury food. What IS that?
Dunno...me too, Steph...but if I don't watch the sugary stuff soon, I'm gonna turn into Jabba the Hut (Pizza the Hut ?) LOL.

D
apologies to Mel Brooks !