Notices

I'm finally going.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm finally going.

To an AA meeting. I can't even begin to explain how terrified I am. Social anxiety is not the most fun thing to have in this situation. But I have decided I'm going to go there a bit early so I don't walk into a room full of people. Then it won't be so terrifying. It's a women's meeting so there won't be any scary guys there . 5:30 Monday night, I'm going. I'm posting it here to help make myself accountable.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to all my threads recently. It's been a big help.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA helped me overcome my social anxiety
Old 04-15-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sooooooo happy for your Red. My hope for you is that you will feel like I did...it felt much like "coming home".

All the best.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Women's meetings are awesome. I have found that I'm more comfortable there than in regular meetings. I believe that you will enjoy it. It is very empowering.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

RedFox,

I felt the same way about AA meetings. I was anxious about going too, but I find my women's meetings are very safe, warm, and friendly. I think you will too.

I think you will be surprised how comfotable you will feel.

Good Luck to you,

Carol
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
step by step

good on you red, hope you enjoy the experience!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very happy to hear you're going to check out your first meeting, Red!
I would show up way early myself - hated walking into a crowded room - ick.
Please let us know how you get on.

Row
Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go for it, Red. I'm glad you're going to a meeting where you'll feel comfortable. I try to stick to men's meetings myself. I think you'll really love it.
Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Red very happy to hear you are going today, I am kind of envious in ways of the ladies first starting out, that first meeting was scary as hell for me, but from every thing I have heard I have yet to hear of a single bad experience for a new comer in a ladies meeting.

This coming from one of those YUCKY GUYS!!!! LOL

Red I look forward to hearing how it went tomorrow!!! Getting there early is a great idea, keep in mind to listen for things that you have in common with folks there and not the differences. One more thing, if you are called on to share and do not feel like it just say some thing as simple as "Pass" or "I am just listening".
Old 04-16-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi RedFox,

I hope your meeting is helpful and you enjoy it!

DK
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Red -

I'm so happy for you. I''m sure you will have a good experience. Please let us know how it goes.

TinLizzy

P.S. - I've graduated to several mixed meetings, and even met some of the "scary guys". Full of tatoos, covered in leather, long scraggly hair, etc. They've been kind, responsive, supportive, encouraging, and overall quite nice!!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Full of tatoos, covered in leather, long scraggly hair, etc. They've been kind, responsive, supportive, encouraging, and overall quite nice!!
LOL Minus the scraggly hair that sounds like my sponsor!!! Serene barely begins to describe him!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats Red!

I'm so happy that you've made this decision. I remember my first meeting, not too long ago. It was the best choice for me.

AA works for millions of people. I hope you find the help you need. Nobody should go through stuff like this alone.
chip
Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Good for you! As Chip says it works for millions so give it a try!!! Don't be shy to say you're new - you can be assured that you will be welcomed with Open Arms!!!

Good luck!

Cathy31
x
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Red!
Don't forget to post after the meeting to tell us how it went, k ?
chip
Old 04-16-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
This coming from one of those YUCKY GUYS!!!! LOL
I was just kidding of course. I love the guys I didn't say yucky by the way :P

Originally Posted by chip View Post
Congrats Red!

I'm so happy that you've made this decision. I remember my first meeting, not too long ago. It was the best choice for me.

AA works for millions of people. I hope you find the help you need. Nobody should go through stuff like this alone.
chip
I hope it works for me.

I'll definitely post tonight after I get back. I'm at work right now and still have about an hour until I leave for the meeting. I'm SO scared. I'm sure I'm going to laugh afterwards at how scared I am right now though.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I saw you had posted and thought you were back already - sheesh hurry up and go already! lol
Seriously - really looking forward to hearing from you afterwards - you are no longer alone, my friend. Have fun!

Rowan
Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say thanks, RedFox.

I created a thread just a couple of days ago about my first meeting coming up this Thursday ~ you posted there, saying that you were still trying to get yourself to go to one. Congratulations!! I can't say how much hope you've given to me here...I was grinning from ear to ear when I read about your decision. Way to go!! I'm proud of you.

I'll say here, exactly what you said to me: Good luck, and I hope you like it!

I can't wait to hear how it went for you.

Best wishes,
-Hazel
Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You will not believe what happened.

I went to the place that's on the form I was given and the doors were locked. I was early so I figured I'd wait a few minutes to see if anybody shows up. The parking lot was full so I was thinking to myself, well they have to be here somewhere. Somebody finally came to the door and I asked if there was an AA meeting there and she looked baffled and said no. She pointed me down the street where there's a church by the same name as this place. Simple enough right? So I leave and end up having to go out of the way because of all the stupid one way streets. I went to turn left, not realizing I wasn't in the far left lane, and got into a car accident. Cars park along the street here so I thought I was in the correct lane, but I went to turn left and didn't see this car until it was too late. Completely my fault, I admitted it. I feel like such a dumb ass.

I can't even begin to explain how pissed off I am right now. The damage to his car didn't look to pretty. But I'm confused because after the officer had gotten all his information and was getting mine the guy came over to my car and said "Don't worry about it, it's all taken care of." Now, does that mean he isn't going to report it to my insurance and make me pay for it? I'm so confused. The officer said it wasn't a big deal and I was beating myself up way more than I should be. If only he knew I was on my way to an AA meeting, lol. When the officer was getting the guy's info he was digging through his wallet and pockets and couldn't find either his license or insurance.

The thing that irks me is that I looked up the address online to make absolutely certain that I was going to the right place so I wouldn't feel like an idiot. It's called Garden Street Methodist, the place I went to is the family center (which is the address I was given), but the Garden Street Methodist CHURCH was just down the street. I called the contact number while I was waiting and left a message. I haven't heard back yet. I'm so confused.

Is this a big sign or what? Maybe I wasn't supposed to go today for some reason. Nice way to tell me, jeez. I can't help but think this is so ironic and laugh about how stupid it is. I have to find something humorous about it or my anger will overtake me. I can't believe how bad I want a drink right now.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm sorry, redfox -

i'm glad you're ok and nobody was hurt in the accident. and i knew how hard you worked to get to that meeting.

blessings, k