Notices

It's back

Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's back

That damn urge. I don't know why or where it came from. I've been sitting here watching a movie for the last few hours. I've been feeling really good lately, except for that little slip I had a little over a week ago. For whatever reason alcohol came to mind and my anxiety just started going up so I came here instead.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Red,
I'm glad you came here instead of drinking!

It will pass. It's difficult, but it will pass. Hang in there, k?
chip
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Red,

tell that anoying voice inside to SHUT UP! and go away! You have the power!

Julie
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sober Rider! That's some good advice for Red.

One of my tricks is I would put off the first drink until tommorow... I did this everyday for a while, and it kept me sober. Hot coco helps too :-)

I found was that logging onto SR and *talking* about it helped. Opening up to other people who have the same issues really helped me out. You are not alone, Red. There are many of us who have the same struggle. Some of us manage to stay sober, and you can join us...

Hang in there. You are doing so well. Friday nights are tough, but it will get easier in time.... Do you have any hot chocholate?
chip
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for thw welcome Chip!

The urge is normal and can be controlled! It is proven that talking will help.
So Red, keep talking to us till it goes away
Julie
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
step by step

hi red, i've found myself under a lot of stress this past week, a close friend has been really ill, my home has been filled with dust from having a new kitchen and bathroom fitted and my children have been off school.

i've been really down one minute and stressed out the next, thursday night i got an urge to go out and forget about it all, i ended up crying instead, feeling like i was back in the early days of my sobriety, i kept telling myself THE URGE would go away and it did, i read through a few posts here and felt better on Friday.

THE URGE does pass red, as chip says, posting here helps.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
step by step

hi red, i've found myself under a lot of stress this past week, a close friend has been really ill, my home has been filled with dust from having a new kitchen and bathroom fitted and my children have been off school.

i've been really down one minute and stressed out the next, thursday night i got an urge to go out and forget about it all, i ended up crying instead, feeling like i was back in the early days of my sobriety, i kept telling myself THE URGE would go away and it did, i read through a few posts here and felt better on Friday.

THE URGE does pass red, as chip says, posting here helps.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
step by step

sorry bout the two posts
Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish I knew why this happens. I could just be sitting there watching tv or something and bam, it hits me again. I like to understand why things are the way they are. I've always been into taking things apart and rebuilding them to see why they do the things they do. I can't do that with this and it bugs me.

I'm going to make some hot chocolate right now, that sounds really good.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Red,
its all done in that wonderfull thing we call our brain. In the case of our addictive brain, it tries to outsmart the non addictive brain.... to get what it wants. now that you know that, and your addictive brain doesnt know you know, you can fool it!
That hot chocolate should fool it too!!
Julie
Old 04-14-2007, 12:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What's been helpful to me when I've had an urge...it walking through to the end...to the drop down slobbering drunk one drink will take me to. When I drink its never pretty...nor romantic and demure in some sort of sipping cognac by the fire kinda way. It's just ugly, pathetic and embarrasing.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This most recent relapse really cemented the fact that I really do not want to drink. Before that I was a little iffy about it. I knew that I shouldn't drink, but I didn't necessarily want to stop. After that night though, I really have no desire to drink. If that even makes sense. I don't want to but my body is telling me different.

How in the world do you bold something? I keep trying to type the code in myself because the little buttons don't work, but it isn't working. I'm a computer geek and I can't figure it out.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

bored....

So I had the house to myself yesterday, kid and husband gone to fayeteville for a visit with extended family and I just love having the time alone, but as a friend mentioned to me earlier in the day, alone time can be dangerous... boredom seems to be a massive trigger for me. I get bored and having a beer comes to mind (cause that's what I used to do) well, actually, anything was a reason to have a beer for me, but boredom really can set me off. I tend to do what Nuudawn does and take the thought to the hangover the next morning, head pounding, puking, self esteem in the garbage...... and I end up finding something a heck of alot more productive to do.... read, post, garden, clean... blah blah blah.

An urge in times of stress is so predictable, easier for me to handle because I know it's coming and the tools I use to combat it are in the forefront of my mind already. It's those urges that come when my guard is down.. when things are fine and I'm just.... bored that tend to mess with me the most.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you chose to come here, Red, and not pick up that drink. Proud of you! The urge passes - it's almost a physical pain while we experience it - but then it's gone. And hopefully you are stronger and even better-prepared for the next time.
Rowan
Old 04-14-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thinking about you, redfox. blessings, k
Old 04-14-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad u r here.....Wished I had a magic pill....For what its worth I know how u feel---Day 3 for me and I feel good today....been where u r and maybe there today...stay with us....GOOD LUCK
Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hmmmm,

Urge to drink.

I drank because I am an alcoholic. I occationally get the urge to drink for the same reason.

It's what I do WHEN I get the urge that is important. Eat Chocolate or candy. Eat icecream. Call a sober friend. Post here.

As far as I am concerned you did the right thing.

Good on 'ya mate!!!!

Ted
Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It did go away, like it always does. Thanks for all the replies guys I did end up having another dream about alcohol which didn't make any sense at all but was saturated with alcohol.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How's it going today, Red?
chip
Old 04-15-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's going alright. I just need to keep myself busy and I think I'll be fine. I have homework and reading I need to do so it shouldn't be too difficult.