Notices

Started Outpatient Last Night

Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Outpatient Last Night

Yesterday was my first day of outpatient rehab, and I made it!!

Going in was intimidating, as I really didn't know what to expect. There were 7 people in attendance and we started with group therapy. Fortunately, I was not the only new person. Both me and the other new guy were asked to share our stories. I thank God that I have been attending AA meetings regularly, as this would have been almost impossible if I had not. I would have felt stripped naked and paraded around the room without the AA experience.

After group therapy, we went to Education. There, we discussed the ability to "feel", appropriate reactions to feelings, etc. It was a lively and informative discussion.

They didn't beat me up, make me bleed, or brand me with a Scarlet A. (I do know that, eventually, they will make me cry though!) It actually went quite well!

It's going to be a big time commitment (3 - 2.5 hour sessions per week plus 2 hours travel each session), but I think that it will be really good for me.

Today, I have 9 days sober, and I feel stronger that ever. I firmly believe that I will never have to do this again. I know that I can live a long, happy and loving, productive life without alcohol.

I also know, without a doubt, that SR and AA have given me the strength and commitment to do this.

TinLizzy
Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Tin Lizzy. You are on your way to a new life. The time commitment required to do this outpatient program might look a little different if you compare it to the amount of time each day or week spent on drinking, recuperating, repeating, etc. What a waste of time. Any time spent on your recovery is time well spent.

Good luck.

-K
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TinLizzy,

I'm glad it was such a positive experience for you. I hope that it will help you learn about yourself and to be able to move forward on the road to recovery.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hi Lizzi,

I hope that you will find this a great experience. I could not get sober without extra support and for me it was time well spent.

Good Luck!

Ted
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by TINLIZZY View Post
Yesterday was my first day of outpatient rehab, and I made it!!

They didn't beat me up, make me bleed, or brand me with a Scarlet A. (I do know that, eventually, they will make me cry though!) It actually went quite well!

It's going to be a big time commitment (3 - 2.5 hour sessions per week plus 2 hours travel each session), but I think that it will be really good for me.

Today, I have 9 days sober, and I feel stronger that ever. I firmly believe that I will never have to do this again. I know that I can live a long, happy and loving, productive life without alcohol.

I also know, without a doubt, that SR and AA have given me the strength and commitment to do this.

TinLizzy
Congratulations Tin,

What a wonderful first experience!!! Your last statement was the best. Just add on more thing...If i may..."that SR, AA, and a GOD of my understanding have given me the strength and commitments to do this.

I know it's a taxing process.My wife and I went for 4 hours a night, five nights a week for six weeks. Then went to aftercare for a few months after that.

"With that attitude you can not fail." Big Book page 55.

Your friend in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm so glad you posted this, tin - you bring me hope. congrats on taking such a big step in recovery. please know how proud i am of you. cheering you on, k