Notices

Ruining mine and other loved one's lives

Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Ruining mine and other loved one's lives

Well here i sit again after Day 1 done.
I've had a problem with booze for the last 7.5 years and once again i'm back at Day 1.
I feel awful as I get further away from my goals in life. Its definately the alcohol that has kept me from achieving my dreams and goals in life.

This time is the worst as i've lost all trust with my family and friends. Tonight was the first night in 7.5 years that my mom and dad called me an alcoholic. I heard it from my friends and brother, but never thought it would come out of my religious parents mouths.

Well hopefully this time I have the willpower to take all the necessary steps to quit booze FOREVER. If booze never would have come in my life, imagine the goals i would have accomplished by now. ***sigh***

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Your friend,
SportsGuy

* edit : I used the wrong smiley, it was suppose to be the sad one
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For today my friend,...day 1 is all that counts! Don't worry about tomorrow, next week/month/year. One day at a time. You allready made a lot of progress by deciding you want to quit drinking and by coming here.

This place is awsome man. The sweetest people in the world are right here. They have been where you have been and they are here to help you. So keep posting your ups and downs my friend!

Besides coming to this place you should consider going to AA. It sounds like something scary but trust me,... it is not. And they are great to have in your corner when things get hard.

I wish you the best my friend,...keep in touch.

Hugs,

Philip
Old 04-03-2007, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most of my family and friends saw the problem in me long before I did. But, that's how it works. The denial kept me from admitting I had a problem. I thought I could quit just anytime I wanted to.

You might consider trying AA for a couple months. It worked for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome again Sportsguy. Congrats on the first day, sounds like you and I may be alike in some areas. I am Martin and I am an alcoholic, I tried for 10 years to quit on my own will power and the only thing it did was to keep me drunk and miserable hating myself for being weak and a loser.

I finally had to surrender to alcohol, I had no power over it. I had to admit to myself that I could no longer manage my life. I reached a point where I was willing to do anything to get and stay sober.

Are you powerless over alcohol?

Are you willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober?

I found a solution...... AA. Not only has AA helped me in staying sober, I have learned how to become happier then I have been in over 30 years.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hope3

As long as you keep trying, you are

not a failure.... hugs, hope3/4
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I know the feeling sooo well. I have not had to feel like that for over a year...by the grace of God and AA I have been clean and sober for this time...a miracle! I couldn't do it alone...it was just one empty promise after another (even though I REALLY meant it at the time!!!!!!) Many other millions have not been able to do it alone.
Look up AA...go to a meeting...see what you'll find...

cathy31
x
Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i remember the first time my mom came to my house and sat down with mt and talked concern over my drinking,i kept saying its just temporary cuz im under stress but was very embarassed and/or mad.throughout the 10 years that passed drinkin escalated and i began to accept the alcoholic comments and talks but never changed,they basically gave up,why bother? they tried aalong with evbody else in my life with no changes on my part. soooooo,here i am regretting evday i didnt take such great advice long ago, dont disregard how ya feel right now,its time for action,listen to the people here who know first hand what procrastinating does to your life,familiys life,goals,dreams and evthing in between.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi SG..Welcome back!

What is your new plan for sobriety?

Day 1 is better than day zero!
Congratulations on your fresh resolve!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Sports Guy,

We are often the last to know. You are exrtemely blessed to have a loving family. If they did not care you would be alone.

Oh man, all the times I sat drinking and planning the wonderful things I was going to do. I just never got around to doing any of them. I was too busy drinking.

Yes, I could dwell on that and get all discouraged, or I can do what I choose to do today and move forward. You see, today I have a choice. When I was boozing my choices were non-existant.

Do you think you are an alcoholic?

If so you know what to do.

Pullin for ya,

Ted
tED
Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Wow, this is weird, I just read today's entry from touchstones (meditations for men). I think it is very appropriate for you Sports so here it is:

If we were logical, the future would be bleak indeed. But we are more than logical. We are human beings, and we have faith, and we have hope, and we can work.
--Jacques Cousteau

What is faith? It is believing in possibilities. It is the ability to carry on with our plans or to be true to our work even though we feel discouraged or tired. It is staying active in relationships even when we receive little in return or when our friends aren't able to respond.

If there were no doubt, there would be no need for faith. Faith is temporarily putting our doubts on the shelf and working toward our goals. Faith is trusting that help and support will be there for us even though they're not in view. It is looking at a map and choosing a new destination, getting on the road to go there, and trusting the marks on the map symbolize a real place that we will find.

I will leave room for my doubts and discouragement, but I will not indulge them. I will choose to go with hope. I will give my energy to the better possibilities.

Ted
Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My resolve failed me time and time again. It is no easy or painless path to sobriety. Failure is very much part of the process. In the end I was simply and completely defeated with probably a dozen unsuccessful quits in my wake. Dropping the bottle is but the beginning of your transformation. It's a complete 360. I wish you well Sportsguy. My hope is that you have no more regret and wasted opportunity..that you regain your self dignity and hope.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses guys!!
Very inspiring and motivating.
I'm glad i'm not alone and have such a supportive group here to share with.
I must've checked this site out 20 times today.

Day 2 successfully finished and i'm off to bed
Old 04-04-2007, 03:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

somtimes hearing the term "alcoholic" from loved ones is what it takes to make a positive change.. it can be tough i know for sure as i struggle with the same problem but hang in there and hopefully everything works out for u!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank You for your honesty. Sometimes I think Im the only one out there whos messing up.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi sindysmiles12.....

Good to see you here with us
The replies to SG can work for you too.

Welcome to our recovery community.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome sindysmiles12

I'm glad you're back with us, sportsguy we're pulling for you as you head into day 3. Keep working at it. Remember, you only have to stay sober TODAY. Many of us stay sober with the "one day at a time" plan.... it does work.
chip
Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to be able to admit to myself that I was an alcoholic before I could quit drinking. That was a hard thing to admit, but it was the truth. And the truth shall set me free!!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL Hey folks check out the date of the original post!!!!!

Welcome to SR sindysmiles12, start a thread of your own to let us all get to know you.