Notices

just curious--drinking and driving

Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I also drove with my kids while drinking i never even got pulled over, it makes me sick to think about what could have happened, but as taz said through all the shame and guilt i have to remember it but not live it. I must live in today clean and sober (still not a great driver i have been in 2 accidents both sober DUH)
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, Justjo.

I am very ashamed that I drank and drove everyday. I am thankful that I am sober and I don't do that anymore. I am also thankful that I didn't hurt anybody while I did it.

I am sorry about your sister.

I hope that the content of this thread will help someone, somewhere make a decision not to drink and drive.
chip
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I did. Often.

I wrecked a friend's truck sliding on ice that you could barely navigate sober.

This after burying a boyfriend who died driving drunk.

Cunning. Baffling. Powerful. Insidious.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Justjo--the point I'm trying to make is the horrible nature of alcoholism. To drive drunk, especially w/kids in the car is complete insanity. The problem with drinking is you don't quite see the massive danger you are putting many people in. I shutter at the thought of what I did. It remains one of the many big factors that helps keep me sober today.

I feel sorry for the DUI person because when they sober up the awful pain of what they have done will hit. There but for the grace of God go I.

jane
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yep, guilty of this one as well...
Ive driven loads and not been caught, and im NOT proud of myself at all.
Im so thankful I have not hurt anyone.
Thank God he gave me my sanity back.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justjo View Post
Why on earth would you feel sorry for a Drink Driver like yourself? Or anyone who gets caught.
My sister in-law was killed by a drink driver. How many peoples lives are affected by that..
This what this insane drug does to you. Very selfish and destructive.
I wont apologize it is shameful........
How can you possible put your childrens life at risk all for the sake of a game. Grow up
Hello Justjo,

Alcoholism is not a game...

I don't think anyone who is an alcoholic is happy, while being active in the misery of the disease...

I am sorry to read the loss of your sister-inlaw. My cousin lost her son (eighteen years old) to a drunk driver. She was devasted and her life became unmanageable. What did she do? She began to drink. Over the course of the years, she had five DUI's, spent three months in jail, lost her license for five years, and nearly lost her will to live...You may ask how could she?

It is called alcoholism and it hurts everyone...
Old 04-08-2007, 01:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
justjo do you think I am proud of the fact that I drove while drinking?

Do you think anyone here is?

I am sorry about your sister, there is nothing that I nor any one else here can do about that, it is in the past. We can pray for you and the members of your family, we can pray that the person that killed her is punished and then gets the help they need to not drink and drive again, but that is it.

This site and this board is here to help me and other alcoholics see the insanity of alcoholism and to recover from it. In order to show that, we share with each other how far we have gone down in the hope that some one who has not reached the point we reached will stop drinking before they to start drinking and driving.

Unless one is an alcoholic they can not even begin to fathom the shame and guilt we have felt in some of the things we have done.

Another thing a non-alcoholic can not understand is how an alcoholic needs to learn to live in today and not in the past. This does not mean that I have for gotten my past, I have not, I share my past with other alcoholics to where they can either get sober or stay sober.

For a non-alcoholic to understand what an alcoholic feels is the equivelant of me understanding the pain of child birth.

Until you have walked in some ones shoes you can not understand them, nor can you help them because you have no idea how they think or how to undo what you do not understand.

I have read all the replies and this obviously hit a few nerves. Ok, I am not an alcoholic. I actually came into this forum site because I thought it might help me....understand.
My 2 grandfathers, 2 uncles, cousin, brother and a sister were/are alcoholics. My sister is almost dead. This runs in our family. To tell me I dont understand what they are going through is crazy. I have watched, listened, seen it all I can tell you.
I dont think you know what the hell we go through watching it, You are told to be supportive, leave them alone, who knows the answer.
I do not think for a second a drink driver who has killed someone is proud of it. They are ashamed and should be. I realize this addiction is takes over, but when you wake up in the morning and know what you are doing, why cant you see it and do something about it.
If you held a gun to your head while you were drunk, do you think you would think about it first??????? before you pulled the trigger.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

justjo-If I had a gun to my head the many times I was drunk and totally depressed about my situation, I would have pulled the trigger.

jane
Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For the record, I don't own a gun. When I was sober, I knew it would be an awful idea to own one. When I was drunk, who would sell me one?

jane
Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
On a tear

I had my first car wreck at age 11 when I drove my dad home because he was drunk. Went off the road at about 40 mph and missed the brake and hit the gas on the way over... younger bro and sis in the back flew up with the seat (it became detatched) and our little terrier dog.

The worst part was when a farmer pulled the car out as a "favor" and dad drove home (oh God what a horrific ride that was!) and when we got home, *I* got in trouble from my mom for driving.

Didn't stop me from driving drunk later when MY drinking career began. Stupidity is an incredible force.

And yep it runs in families. Some of us inherit the blue eyes and blond hair, others inherit the brown hair and alcoholism... sadly, once it manifests, all bets are off.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"when you wake up in the morning and know what you are doing, why cant you see it and do something about it."

You just can't. That's the problem. I didn't want to hurt anyone. I wanted to be sane, I wanted to be a good son, I wanted to be a nice person. I didn't want to be a drunk, which is what I was. I died a little bit everyday. That's just how it was. I'm sorry for your loss.
Mike
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Bittersweet

Ive tried to stay away from this thread. its a subject that really upsets me, and i know my opinion about this wont help anyone who actually drink and drives, and im not here to post negative comments.

Justjo im sorry to hear about your Sister-in-law. I agree on you that this is shamefull..

Im surprised really, i had no idea so many people drank and drove - even with their kids in the car!!! It makes me feel sick. I do blame the illness - alcoholism. But i still cant feel sorry for someone who drove drunk and hurt/killed someone...

Ive only had my liecense for two years but i havnt once got in the car after ive been drinking. Most of the time i dont care if im dead or alive. But i would never ever dream on risking another persons life - not even while im drunk.

Im sorry for a.. negative comment not really what im here for. Im here to give/get support, we're here to help each other recover. I know this illness is a real b*tch. And thank you all for posting. You did show me what i do not want to become.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by mikel60 View Post
"when you wake up in the morning and know what you are doing, why cant you see it and do something about it."

You just can't. That's the problem. I didn't want to hurt anyone. I wanted to be sane, I wanted to be a good son, I wanted to be a nice person. I didn't want to be a drunk, which is what I was. I died a little bit everyday. That's just how it was. I'm sorry for your loss.
Mike

You just can't. Thats why you are in this situation. I know it is an addiction and it must be bloody hard for you. I suppose as they say, when you say I can, you just might.
God be with you tonight.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I realize this addiction is takes over, but when you wake up in the morning and know what you are doing, why cant you see it and do something about it.
justjo if it were only that easy i would not of hated myself. Alcoholism is a disease that is so self demeaning, things that I would never have done in the early years of my drinking I found myself doing and at the time not even thinking about it until the next morning.

When I said you could not understand it was not meant to put you down in any way, alcoholism leads to good people doing insane things they would never do while sober.

Do I understand really why I drank and drove? No!!! The difference is that when a normal person drinks they do not drive! Why? The only answer I can come up with is when a normal person drinks it puts them into a state of mind that is not normal for them, when I, an alcoholic drinks it puts my mind in a "Normal" state.

I am sure that makes as much sense to you as it does to me!

I can tell you this, if I had hurt or killed anyone while I was drinking I would expect the book to be thrown at me.

My view on a drunk driver today is just as harsh and unforgiving as it was when I was drinking.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have done it, and I've done it with my kids, too. It is part of feeling unaffected. I was so used to being drunk, that it was normal, so why not do a normal thing like drive.

It is insane, and I know that in my head, but it is hard to convince yourself when you are in the midst.