Notices

Gratitude for new memories

Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude for new memories

Today my daughter turns 6. It struck me as I thought back to the day that she was born that I have only happy memories about that day. I was fortunate enough to get sober before both of my children were born. Today, I feel a profound sense of gratitude for that fact.

So many of my memories are clouded by the sad and sick fact that I was drinking. Although I have done work to remove guilt and shame and I have made amends, that fact remains that there is a chapter of my life that was will forever by clouded by the fact that I was drinking. I can't change this, it is just part of my story. I am glad that I still get that sick feeling when I remember a lot of the past. It remiinds me of where I was and where I never want to be again.

I realized today that I have built a whole new chapter of sober memories. With each passing day and year this chapter grows. I am overwhelmed by the gratitude I feel about this. There was a time when I couldn't imagine seeing this day or feeling this way.

The gift of sobriety just becomes more meaningful every day, even after all of this time.

Gratefully,
-K
Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congradulations kathleen that is terrific. and happy birthday to your daughter. keep on keepin on my friend.,
Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by socalgal View Post
So many of my memories are clouded by the sad and sick fact that I was drinking.

Thank you for articulating exactly what I've been feeling and thinking about a lot these days. I look back at memories that were "synthetically" happy..and I shudder a little...they are clouded and obscured and tainted by alcohol.

I do not regret my past..it is what brought me here today. Today I simply know the difference between my synthetic and suspended life and the authentic one I'm trying to live today.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know where you are coming from Kathleen, this past month was my twins 15th birthday and the first one I really participated in because I was sober.

Nuudawn I am with you, I use my past today to help others, I am not proud of a lot of my past, but I am forgiven for it and as a result it does not consume me. I use my past to help me and others rather then letting my past use me to keep me guilty, ashamed, and drinking.

Kathleen give her a Happy B-Day hug from an old alkie with 6 kids that never gave his own kids a sober happy B-Day hug! The granfkids will get them though!