SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   never giving up my goal... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/119939-never-giving-up-my-goal.html)

IMHomerSimpson 04-02-2007 03:55 AM

never giving up my goal...

hi,today is day 2 AGAIN!!!! ive been singing at a karaoke site for some time now(more like entertaining lol) and came across this song saturday,"cats in the cradle" by harry chapin? anyways i sang it and the lyrics hit me hard,its about a guy who worked so much he missed his children grow up and his son turned out just like him,MY work would be getting drunk everyday but very similar.i was sad and still am.Ironically the same night another fella sang a song about him being alcoholic and aimed it at the enablers in his life,now i really got thinking and left the site. I think im ready,will probably end up doin something crazy soon cuz i cant stand the control of alcohol no more,yes i am powerless,i admit it.as much as im fightin not to get to AA,its time and im gonna take that step but in a different town. off to work now,ill log in when i get home for a bit.

Mongo 04-02-2007 04:13 AM

Great to hear, Homer! Well done on your two days!

I hope you continue posting, posting here on this site and others helped me a lot. Never give up trying to quit.

Good luck and keep well

Ron

lostmdboy 04-02-2007 04:35 AM

Con grat s on your time Homer. You are doing great!

SaTiT 04-02-2007 04:57 AM

Hey, Homer

CarolD 04-02-2007 05:00 AM

Good to see you are on Day 2!
Hugs

Tazman53 04-02-2007 05:39 AM

Homer congrats on the 2 days, let us know how the AA meeting goes.

If you really beleive you are powerless and you really want to quit you will at a minimum go to AA, if you drink even half of what you say you should see a doctor asap.

TorontoGuy28 04-02-2007 06:14 AM

Homer, good to see you back man !

Talluleh 04-02-2007 06:23 AM

Homer that's awesome news. I'm a huge fan of Harry Chapin, I grew up listening to his music. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Missymae737 04-02-2007 06:48 AM

Hi Homer,

So happy to see your post!!! Congrats on your two days, and do not give up..

You can do this, we are here for you...

Golfman 04-02-2007 07:04 AM

Homer,

2 days is a miracle for an alcoholic. Harry Chapin wrote many wonderful songs. "Taxi" is my favorite. Unfortunately, Harry was an alcoholic and died an alcoholic. How sad!!! But he did touch the world with his songs.

I does show one thing...alcoholics who think they are worthless and have nothing to offer could be inspired by one who, although remaining in the grip of the disease until he died, gave something to others.

Thanks,
steady eddie

Nuudawn 04-02-2007 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Golfman (Post 1273500)
Unfortunately, Harry was an alcoholic and died an alcoholic.

Wow..the irony!
It sounds like your finding your way to the end of the battle Homer. I'm glad. For me, that's when the magic started to happen...when I dropped my sword, the war was over. I have finally found the peace in life that long eluded me.

Steve58 04-02-2007 10:09 AM

Hi Pat,

I have three teen boys, and, better late than never, a year ago last jan, I made a vow not to drink around them again. I still drink, on & off, but not around them. Like the song you started this thread with, what was I teaching them.

Congrats on your 2 days! Keep up the good work.

S

IMHomerSimpson 04-02-2007 10:55 AM

im home!!!!!!!! took the alternate route around the block so my subconcious did NOT steer into the liquor store,it really happens that fast for me,sometimes i would almost crash making that last second decision to drink beer,NOT TODAY!! freakin starvin rite now,may go to all-u-can-eat buffet for lunch by myself and go nuts,no it wont be helping my other goal of losing weight but once i eat i NEVER drink,just lose the urge,its quite odd.Told ya i stop back and check in and anxious to get some days under my belt cuz altho it gets more difficult,at the same time its great to be clearheaded.No meeting tonight but tomorrow ill be there to just listen,not quite ready for any public speaking,in due time i open up.Ill stop by after my feast LOL.also i be sure not to over-post LOL

chip 04-02-2007 11:41 AM

Congrats on day 2!!!!

Stick with it. Let us know how the AA thing goes.
chip

IMHomerSimpson 04-02-2007 12:07 PM

thanks for the replies, i did go eat(all alone),very full belly now and gonna nap,lol,feel mentally well but tired.drinking water as my beverage of choice,plan on a huge salad tonite for dinner,hoping to lose the bloat in the next few days.see ya later

Tazman53 04-02-2007 12:33 PM

No meeting tonight but tomorrow ill be there to just listen,not quite ready for any public speaking,in due time i open up.
LOL I have never seen any one forced to speak at an AA meeting! Actually unless you need something in particular discussed I have found I learn a whole lot more by listening, I don't sit there and think about what I will say.

If you are called on simply say "pass", crazy as it sounds folks will say "Thanks" and move on to the next person.

Missymae737 04-02-2007 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by IMHomerSimpson (Post 1273790)
thanks for the replies, i did go eat(all alone),very full belly now and gonna nap,lol,feel mentally well but tired.drinking water as my beverage of choice,plan on a huge salad tonite for dinner,hoping to lose the bloat in the next few days.see ya later

Hi Homer,

Yes, if you stay away from drinking, you will lose the bloat. In fact, I know several people who lost a considerable amount of weight just by not drinking...

Glad to see you are here, Homer. You may want to get to as many meetings as possible, and by all means keep posting here.

Thinking of you...

doorknob 04-02-2007 03:18 PM

Sounds great, Homer! :)

Hey, what's the name of that karaoke site?

socalgal 04-02-2007 03:29 PM

It's great to see you here, Homer. It sounds like you have some good plans in place. Now... follow through. Let us know how the meeting goes. Hey,write even sooner and let us know how the salad was!

-K

Hope 04-02-2007 03:50 PM

2 days is great! :)