Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How much harder is it to quit BOTH smoking/alcohol at once?

Notices

How much harder is it to quit BOTH smoking/alcohol at once?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi there, Paulos. I would quit one first and that will give you confidence to know you can do it again with the other one.

I quit smoking 17 months ago today!

We are facing a total indoor ban in public places starting July 1st here in England & I wanted a head start. Originally it was because I felt I had to carry on drinking and if the smokes had to go, I was prepared to sacrifice them for my booze.
However, it actually made me realise that I had done a very good thing and made me challenge my alcoholism for the first time and see that I could quit that too.

Stopping the booze has been way, way harder but I'm kinda applying the same motto: I can have a smoke or a drink anytime I want, I just don't want to.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I gave up nicotine two months before I quit drinking, did both of them cold turkey. Let me share by saying it was one of the dumbest things I've ever done. Please consult your doctor first and see what they recommend. I was advised later on that I could've done severe mental damage. Whatever you do, please don't take this lightly.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Barto no harsh feelings at all, there are some who can kick both at once, I was scared crapless when I knew I had to stop drinking, I had no idea what life would be like with out my lover who had turned on me. I had chased her for years hoping that I could learn to control her and she would once again allow me to control her and she would give me what she used to give me 15 or more years before.

Sadly my lover had control over me and she no longer gave me the elation she used to bathe me in, all she gave me was misery, she kept teasing me, telling me that this time she would give me what I desired and no longer leave me with that empty hollow feeliing inside of me that no amount of her could fill.

Cigarretes for me have never been any more then an addicitive habit which I will fairly soon over come. I doubt if I could have quit both at once.... who knows...... hind sight is 20-20, but cigarettes have never given me what my lost love alcohol did, yet some how I feel that they will be tougher then my old siren alcohol. That will be seen Sept. the 18th 2007 at the latest, the commitment is made.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Taz:
Cigarretes for me have never been any more then an addicitive habit which I will fairly soon over come. I doubt if I could have quit both at once.... who knows...... hind sight is 20-20, but cigarettes have never given me what my lost love alcohol did,
How true, my friend. There was no real wrench in leaving the smokes behind. I did it on my own but alcohol? Well, that's a tear-jerking love story right to the bitter end, ain't it?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

So right Raineydae, that love that was so sweet for so long, alas she turned into an anchor around my neck that slowly drug me into the gates of hell all the while singing that seductive song of happiness and comfort that she now denied me even though she held that possibilty in front of me..... beckoning, calling out to me... telling me it will be different this time!