Notices

Veronika Decides to Die

Old 03-30-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Veronika Decides to Die

I posted this elsewhere - but should have put it here.

Just wanted to share the title of this book with anyone who has struggled with depression, suicidality, etc - the author is Paulo Coelho (who also wrote The Alchemist - another fantastic book).

Veronika takes an overdose of sleeping pills in an attempt to end her life and very nearly succeeds. Days later she wakes up in an insane asylum, only to find out that the damage to her heart cannot be repaired, and she has less than a week to live. She comes to experience a spiritual awakening of sorts, and literally blew me away - I could identify with her SO strongly.

Anyway - just wanted to share.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Just wanted to share the title of this book with anyone who has struggled with depression, suicidality, etc - the author is Paulo Coelho (who also wrote The Alchemist - another fantastic book).
Veronika takes an overdose of sleeping pills in an attempt to end her life and very nearly succeeds. Days later she wakes up in an insane asylum, only to find out that the damage to her heart cannot be repaired, and she has less than a week to live. She comes to experience a spiritual awakening of sorts, and literally blew me away - I could identify with her SO strongly.

HA!!!, on July 21, 2003 - after I read "Veronica Decides to Die" and met with Paolo Coelho in Rio de Janeiro where I lived then, I decided to quit drinking (first time). It would be fantastic if this books helps someone else to quit as well...
Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really? Wow that's fantastic that the book, and meeting the author, had that sort of impact on you too. Tres cool.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Rowan - sounds great!

hey - do the world a favor - dump yer mailbox, willya?

all my pms' keep coming back ... sorry everybody - didn't know how else to tell her...
Old 04-01-2007, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
hey - do the world a favor - dump yer mailbox, willya?
all my pms' keep coming back ... sorry everybody - didn't know how else to tell her...
Why should you be sorry barb? You're among friends here.

Thanks for the tip Rowan!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bittersweet

Thank you Rowan, ill try to find it on an e-bookstore. No idea what the title could be in swedish, if they even translated it.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Veronika bestämmer sig för att dö

Originally Posted by Missminime View Post
No idea what the title could be in swedish, if they even translated it.
Sure they are, by Bazar Förlag AB - it published "Veronika..." in Svenska. Paolo Coelho is btw, in fact, the most translated author in the world now.

And having fun with a crazy mind of a sober drunk, what is bellow is an example of an alcoholic's obsesive mind. I do not speak Svenska but some notes on Coelho's book in Svenska might help you...

Veronika är ung och vacker, har vänner och beundrare att gå ut med, fast jobb och en familj som tycker om henne, men det är ändå något som fattas i hennes liv. Morgonen den 11 november 1997 bestämmer hon sig därför för att dö. Hon tar en överdos sömntabletter bara för att lite senare vakna upp på närmaste sjukhus. Där berättar man för henne att även om hon lever, så är hennes hjärta skadat och hon har bara några få dagar kvar att leva Berättelsen följer Veronika genom dessa intensiva dagar medan hennes erfarenheter får henne att stilla undra vad galenskap egentligen är. Hon inser nämligen att varje ögonblick vi lever är resultatet av ett medvetet val mellan liv och död.

Övrigt
Veronika är ung och vacker, har vänner och beundrare att gå ut med, fast jobb och en familj som tycker om henne, men det är ändå något som fattas i hennes liv. Morgonen den 11 november 1997 bestämmer hon sig därför för att dö. Hon tar en överdos sömntabletter bara för att lite senare vakna upp på närmaste sjukhus. Där berättar man för henne att även om hon lever, så är hennes hjärta skadat och hon har bara några få dagar kvar att leva& Berättelsen följer Veronika genom dessa intensiva dagar medan hennes erfarenheter får henne att stilla undra vad galenskap egentligen är. Hon inser nämligen att varje ögonblick vi lever är resultatet av ett medvetet val mellan liv och död.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bittersweet

lol wozzek. It sounds so familiar now when i read it in swedish, maybe ive already read it.
But this is great, ill goto the libary as soon as i can.

Thank you so much wozzek
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome job on the translation Wozzek - thanks!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Veronika decides to die" is a great book!