Notices

Alcohol hepatitis?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yup, here and there I have seen a well known TV personality, a CEO of a major corporation, several known authors, chief legal counsel of one of the biggest \
corporations in the USA, a major movie star attends meetings in my area, and there are lots and lots of business people and professional types. I won't lie--there are some people there who are forced to be by the courts (due to DUIs or whatever), but they are not the majority nor the heart of the group. Everyone is treated the same, though! In the groups I have been at, we all check our ego at the door!

And I got to meet one of my favorite TV personalities! That's not why I went of course but---guess what? She is really nice! And she is an alcoholic like me! And soooo funny....

AA is nothing like I thought it would be. Thank God!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
And to the AA people: Thanks for the advice but I don't think I could take being in a group like that now, but maybe later.
That is what I call hanging on to self control. As long as you are doing that, you don't get better, only worse. Good luck doing it your way. When you have had enough misery, see you at a meeting!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm 27 and I happen to have Hep C. I found out by giving blood in High School. I have no idea how I got it. But my doctor told me that I should'nt drink. I maybe drink once a month if that. I've had the Interferon Shots but it didn't work. I would stay away from drinking. My mom got "Alcohol Hepatitis" when I was younger (she was an alcoholic). She too has Hep C but so far she's okay. She rarely drinks. In fact, my bloodwork is always bad and hers is good. She hasn't even had to have a liver biopsy but I have.

The liver is an interesting organ.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
When I go to meetings in attendance are doctors, lawyers, businessmen, one minister I know of in my area, some high profile government folks with a sprinkling of construction workers, trade workers, even low lifes like myself who is a Systems Analyst for a Federal Government Agency.

Yes I have seen a total of 2-3 people who kind of resembled what my bigoted alcoholic mind thought might be "in a group like that".

Prejudice and ignorance of what types of people went to AA kept me drunk 10 years longer then I should have been.
Taz you nailed it again. We have 2 ministers and a cop in my home group.

Hearing the cop speak at meetings is special, he went from a frequent "back seat rider", to the usuals depths of alcoholism, pulled himself together, got a job as a cop, "a Front seat rider" and is now a great part of the fellowship.

Alcohol is the ultimate leveler, respects no race, gender, class, profession, religion, etc.

I went to a ballet once. I had no intention of ever doing anything like that women can do strange things to a guy. I actually liked it. Do yourself a favor and go to a few AA meetings, you might like it!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That nurse is an idiot and probably a heavy drinker too.

jane

ps. I'm an RN
Old 04-26-2007, 02:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Hello all,

About three months ago I was sick for a week with a swollen liver and pancreas and the doctor said that I could never have alcohol again or I would end up in the emergency room or worse. But a nurse who saw me said that I would have to cut back and start drinking around people and not by myself. WHo is right here? I haven't had a drink since I was sick because I am scared that as soon as I take a sip the pain will start up again but it is ridiculous that I can't have another drink ever! But it is a good time to quit since I went through withdrawl while I was sick so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. My main question though is if I have permanent liver damage now that will shorten my life? Thanks.

It's funny you should post this at this time. My daughter in laws' sister is in St. Lukes medical center as we speak, hooked up to life support because her pancreas shut down last Wednesday, causing pains in her stomach which sent her to emergency. Her kidneys failed her in the emergency room and she was flown from Kenosha Wisconsin up to Milwaukee. This drinking is nothing to mess around with, when signs start showing up like what you've described. If I were you, I'd listen to the doctor, unless of course alcohol is more important to you than your life. As far as your liver is concerned, I don't know anyone here to can answer your question with any accuracy.