SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I'm glad I found this site! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/119042-im-glad-i-found-site.html)

observer 03-22-2007 01:39 PM

I'm glad I found this site!

I'm finally admitting I have a problem with alcohol. I've known I did & have even said as much... but I'm now really admitting it & going to do something about it. I've been drinking, on & off, since I was a teenager. I'm now 42. I even met my ex-husband at a party, when I was drunk. He's an alcoholic. My father was also an alcoholic who came from a family of alcoholics. I emailed my aunt today & asked her how she stopped. She emailed me back & told me so many things & told me I could call her anytime. I'm so grateful for her! I'm really starting to scare myself now, because I'm finding myself doing unsafe things & feeling soooo guilty in the morning! I say things to people & don't remember what I said. I hug everybody & flirt up a storm. I don't want to do these things anymore! I need love & support. And I see that you guys do just that. Please help me out here!

Tazman53 03-22-2007 01:48 PM

Welcome to SR observer, so tell us how your aunt quit?

CarolD 03-22-2007 01:51 PM

Good to see you again...:)

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum.

observer 03-22-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tazman53 (Post 1259156)
Welcome to SR observer, so tell us how your aunt quit?

She told me she had back surgery & used that as an excuse to quit. But she said she did such stupid things & doesn't miss it a bit. She sounds so much like me! She told me it's still hard sometimes, but she won't start again.

CarolD 03-22-2007 02:03 PM

When my brain was saturated with alcohol
I was often in weird dangerous situations.

Once I finally quit...Zing!
No more crazy episodes.

This can be true for you as well O
just give yourself a chance!

Blessings

gypsytears 03-22-2007 02:09 PM

Welcome observer :). This forum is full of info and support. You won't need to have back surgery to quit if you hang around here ;).

socalgal 03-22-2007 02:23 PM

It is nice to wake up in the morning and not be struck with abject terror trying to remember, or worse, remembering the things I had done the night before. For me, the guilt was so great that only drinking again gave me some relief.

Sober I don't have to experience that madness. I have serenity in the morning.

You can have that, too.

(((Hugs)))

-K

Talluleh 03-22-2007 04:15 PM

Welcome observer!! Sending you some love and support.. I am actually really enjoying being sober and I never would have thought that. I didn't think it would be any fun at all, but boy was I wrong.

Keep reading and posting! I wish I had an aunt that I could talk to.

chrisj728 03-22-2007 04:26 PM

Hello & welcome observer,
Try not dwell on the past it can't be rewritten,
The future is a blank sheet ready for you to write.
Just dont take the first drink and you will be in control
not king alcohol.

chris

TINLIZZY 03-22-2007 05:13 PM

We all have done things that we are ashamed of. You are not alone. Welcome -

TinLizzy

Hush007 03-23-2007 12:59 AM

Welcome observer,

The past is the past,... today is what counts from now on. Start with a clean slate and go for it. You are allready on the right path because you came here for help. We've got your back and will try to help you as good as possible.

Another good step "in real life" would be going to an AA meeting. We've all been were you've been. Don't worry! You CAN do it. All it takes is really wanting to quit drinking.

Keep checking this place out! It will change your life!

Big hug,

Philip

barb dwyer 03-23-2007 01:18 AM

hi observer - welcome!

Pilgrim 03-23-2007 03:19 AM

Hi Observer. I have been here 32 days and your drinking patterns sound a lot like mine (I read them on the Moma's thread). Welcome to SR. You will find friends here who can help you if you want to stop.

escape2day 03-23-2007 03:24 AM

hi observer - i will be 42 in may.
im also a newcomer to the board (certainly not to quitting) i think you will find lots of support here. i come here at least once every day and read or post (i try to do both).

PurpleReign 03-23-2007 04:40 AM

Observer welcome!!!

Yep, I echo what Hush said. Let us know how you are doing.

Blessings,
PR

observer 03-23-2007 05:31 AM

Well, I went out last night to see a band play. I drank Pepsi all night... until right before I was ready to leave. I had 1 drink & was out the door. I went home & straight to bed. And I REMEMBER EVERYTHING!!!!

Tazman53 03-23-2007 05:43 AM

Good job on the one drink....... some how I bet you were thinking about that "One drink" the entire evening, part of that mental obsession thing they speak of in the BB.

observer 03-23-2007 05:53 AM

Thanks! Actually, I wasn't really thinking about it. I just decided at the last minute to get it. It's really not bothering me not to drink! And I love not worrying about being pulled over!!

Tazman53 03-23-2007 06:02 AM

Man I can tell you right now in my last days of drinking there was no such thing as one unless of course you were talking about 1 12 pack!

Kristen E. 03-23-2007 06:10 AM

See the thing is if you have to control it and be happy that you did then probably you she really consider the out come.

So many times I thought I could stop at just one, sometimes I would, it was the other 50,000 times I could not and the cylce continues.

Be careful observer Alcohol is the King of deciption. What you think is rational ends up being a black out.

Good luck and keep coming back