Notices

Just for today, more than just sobriety?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Just for today, more than just sobriety?

Hey gang,
With my "official" sobriety date fast approaching (I've been sober for awhile now and there is nothing better I can tell you that), I started thinking about Just for Today. I used that saying constantly in my first week or so to get myself out of trouble.

Now I find myself using it for just about everythig - for example at work and in the gym. At work, when I don't want to do something after having completed something else, I think "Just this one" and I can usually block out the overwhelming feeling of more work ahead. At the gym, yesterday during a set, my body was telling me to stop because I had X, Y, and Z exercise after that - but I thought "Just this set" - so I put I didn't hold back any energy and got the weight up more than I would have.

Any of you find this spilling over into all of life's activities? When I was drinking there were too many hours in the day, now that I'm sober and doing things I enjoy there aren't enough.

Just another "sober" awakening for me.

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....I use

"How important is it?"

all day to stay in balance.

Thanks for sharing PR
Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PurpleReign View Post
Any of you find this spilling over into all of life's activities? When I was drinking there were too many hours in the day, now that I'm sober and doing things I enjoy there aren't enough.

Blessings,
PR
PR,

"Practice these principles in all our affairs." Our program of recovery is really a design for living. Every good thing that we do related to recovery can be used in any facet of our lives. The drink was really not the problem, but a symptom. If we can learn how to live in peace, the desire to drink will slip away.

Thanks for the post PR. It's one every newbie will find inspirational.

Friends in sobriety,
Ed
Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleReign View Post
Hey gang,

Blessings,
PR
In a word...yep.

With enough "just for todays" we might actually form some GOOD habits! Oye!

And I completely agree about there not being enough hours in a day. There is SO much to do if you get a little momentum!

Earl
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

PR you are riding that big wave with a big grin on your face!!! I can feel it!

Sobriety ROCkS and it rocks harder every day and rolls over into everything in our lifes. As golfman already stated so very well the steps have far more to do with living life right and happy then not drinking, and the more one lives the steps the better things get in all facets of life.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

Hey PR,

You just hit the nail on the head....I just got finished a major home remodel...My wife was amazed I didn't have one "freak out" Which I used to do, while in my active alkie mode.....I intentionally used the "one job at a time" principle....and it worked.

But now it backfired......she is thinking of the NEXT project for me....

Work Hard and Enjoy Life......NED
Old 03-14-2007, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Absolutely! You are already learning how to "practice these principles in all your affairs."

I am so glad to hear about your sober journey. Keep sharing! xx
Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well here I am...... choked up again seeing the results that AA's 12 steps worked and lived with BRUTAL HONESTY can bring to peoples lifes.

If on is not totally honest in all their affairs no program can work because they are lying to them selfs.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never thought about it I guess. But it really is a great pointer PR! Normally I stress out pretty easy. I'm gonna try this new approach!

Thank you my friend!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PR you sound GREAT!! I'm going to keep this one.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

I think the only thing better than being sober and happy is being able to share that feeling with those I care about, and you may friends are on that list!

I tried to respond to each of you, but I can get windy and after a couple of paragraphs, I had only gotten to Golf (uh yeah, he's the second post).

So in short, thank you for sharing my sobriety with me you all mean a lot to me.

Here is something I can't wait to see...
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/?ntrack...tnav_category2

It also has a pelthora of help for those addicted, those suffering from an addicted loved one, those who have relapsed, and more. It looks to be an outstanding documentary.

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-15-2007, 01:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

mine is the thing Dr. Bob always said - "Of myself, I am nothing."

and the other is; 'show me the next right thing."

I have learned to let myself look no further than that sometimes.
And it really helps.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

PR, some things that get me through are "We have ceased fighting anything or anyone." and "Would you rather be right or happy?" Rule 62 does a lot for me at times and can stop me dead in my tracks in a freak-out mode LOL!

12 steps are definitely about a new way to live and the longer you practice them the more ingrained they become and the more they just flow into all areas of your life.

Keep up the awesome work!
Kellye
Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Thanks Barb and Kell,
I got through yesterday sober and that was an accomplishment. Anger had missle-lock on me all day, I figured hitting the weights would dispel some of the anger but it only made it worse. So I got home prayed a little, and thought about CarolD's post (HALT) Hungry - check, Angry - check, Lonely - nope Tired - check. I always get angry and agressive when I'm hungry and I think being tired and working out made it worse. So I had a big meal (the protein shake did nothing to quite the beast) and I felt a lot better over time. But yesterday was a constant feeling of intense anger/aggressiveness. Any suggestions for anger management, please let me know.

Today is St. Patty's day and I woke up at 8:30 only to already have a message from a car full of four of my friends each two shots deep into Jameson heading to the Dub Pub...so Just for Today, I'll stay sober, and just for today, I'll declare my sober date - 3/17/2007.

Hope all is well with you.

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm staying sober with ya PR. you're doing so well!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

As are you T!

You be keepin' it real!

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-17-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Your original post hit on a lot of what I've been thinking about lately. The things I've been able to do in sobriety were truly unimaginable to me when the journey first began. I was wheelchair bound, living alone with my children on a fraying shoestring in a bad neighborhood on a street lined with bars and clubs. I had no education to speak of, I was forty pounds heavier, and the concept of "putting one foot in front of the other" was very, very foreign to me.

Today, all that's changed and so much more. I only listed the material, the physical aspects. The mental, emotional and spiritual condition I was in then as compared to now -- WOW!

So, anyway, I finally get back to saying what I intended when I started to ramble. The other element, beyond, "just one more" (minute, repetition, load of laundry, hour of study....) is the act of remaining in the moment. The idea of "ODAAT" as explained to me doesn't mean that I can't make plans, can't begin to work on longterm goals, can't book a vacation house for seven months down the road. What it means to me is that I must remain emotionally in the present day, or in the present moment. I'm a very good one for procrastinating, telling myself "I'll get this thing taken care of before the day is over," then having an avalanche fall on me at day's end. So, remaining emotionally in the moment, reminding myself of the value of taking care of what's in front of me to do, is invaluable. And action truly does manifest itself in more action! Those moment by moment victories pile up, and though it's also my tendency to be impatient for results, perspective of time has shown me that small steps taken consistently add up very quickly to miles of progress.

Thanks for the reminder, PR. And now, at the very end of my spring break, my statistics (ick, bleck, yuck!) is finished two days ahead of time...because it was sitting there, just waiting for me to pick it up and do it! I appreciate the nudge

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

PR, please clean out your inbox!

:

Peace & Love,
Sugah

Last edited by Sugah; 03-18-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Smilie Challenged
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
PR, please clean out your inbox!

:

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Sug,
This is the tower, roger that! The flight pattern is clear...

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

lol..."you've got mail"

Peace & Love,
Sugah