Notices

Counting Sobriety Days Harmful For Some??

Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
P. 58 sent. 5

Pg. 145 sent. 3

Pg. 13 last sent.

Pg. 32 sent. 1

Pg. 47 sent.3

Pg. 58 sent 2
Thank you, thank you, thank you Golfman!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Bee 62
I really like what you said here, wow.

{Each day I can count is a reward for me. The longer I have, the less likely I am to relapse}.

Do you know how what you perceive as truth feels when you hear it?
I just did.

Putting together hours and days suddenly becomes a year, and multiples of years.

Thank you, I wish you the best.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Bee you said it well, one must have respect for thier self and there is no way I could lie and and respect myself.

When I pick up a chip it as the person passing them out says "Continuos Sobriety", they don't say "sober most of the time" or "only had a few drinks", they say "Continuos Sobriety"!

How in the world can any one trust any thing any one says if they are openly admit that they are a liar? Nothing they ever say again can be trusted by any one who knows they have lied before.

I always want everyone who knows me to know that I am not a liar, I was when I was not sober, whether I was drunk or not.

Part of the disease of alcoholism is being a liar.

Being a liar is not part of sobriety, brutal honesty is a major part of sobriety.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hey Tib --

For my own personal reference I'm gonna copy/paste a couple of your previous posts here:

First your original post for this thread -- "Does anybody else think that counting the sobriety days can be discouraging for some? For example, if one has 3 months and drinks one day (relapses in AA terms) does that mean that person is back at square one? Yes, yes if anyone is wondering I am asking this because of my "relapse". I had/have close to a year and drank a few nights ago. Thankfully, I didn't charge off on a cocaine/heroin binge. I told a few close people in AA (my sponser & friends) but am not going to talk about it at meetings because I think it will make me feel worse. A part of me feels that I am NEVER going to get completely sober and a part of me feels that I am making progress. When I first came around the program in 2003, I could barely scratch 2-3 months before a terrible binge. BTW if counting days is helpful for you then I think that is a good thing. Thanx for letting me share this."

OK, so you had a relapse.....you've admitted that much to us here in the cyberworld....now you're back on track....you say you don't want to talk about this in f2f meetings because you think it will make you feel worse? Have you ever thought that it may be because you want to celebrate on Birthday Night, and perhaps many of those folks might think you don't deserve to celebrate because you won't have a year of CONTINUOUS sobriety?....just a thought..

"...A part of me feels that I am NEVER going to get completely sober..." Hey buddy....cut out that negative thinking...with that kind of thinking you may never get completely sober, and I bet you can.....

Then a bit later on you wrote -- "I posted this topic in the Alcoholism thread and not 12-step support thread for a reason. I am grateful that I received a few responses that have helped me. I should of known that there are 12-step bullies on the internet as well as in "meetings." I find many people use their sober time as weapons to make their ideas more valid than the lowly "newcomer." I think I would rather be a alcoholic/junkie living in an alley than what some "old-timers" have. I give up on the "steps" and "wonderful" world of 12 step recovery. However, I live in the U.S. where 95% of treatment centers use the wonderful 12 step model and where it's hard to find support for those "poor lost souls" who don't follow the rules and regulations of AA society."

I realize that you posted this in a non-12-step forum, however you're talking about celebrating at a 12-step AA meeting.....did you expect 12-steppers to just let it ride.....besides my sponsor always told me to pay the most attention to those folks that I didn't like; I'd probly learn the most from them.....BUT I haven seen any 12-step bullies here in this thread. Remember, you want to celebrate at an AA meeting, and AA celebrates CONTINUOUS time; this is not to say your time isn't valid, it's just not the same as AA's, and celebrating at an AA meeting, for me anyway, is according to their standards.

A couple of days ago your wrote -- "I believe that I need to be honest with myself and do what will help me in recovery. I don't need to be honest with AA folks. The folks that I run across are way too judgemental.This is between my higher power and myself. I am glad I did not share this "relapse" as many would call it with group members. May 10, I will be picking up my 1 year chip and cake!!! In the mean time, I will be looking at other recovery options and encourage others who feel like myself to do the same."

"... I don't need to be honest with AA folks...?" I dunno.....for me, I gotta be honest with myself, and everybody else.....for me it's honesty, across the board, and if I'm not honest with everybody, then I'm dishonest with everybody, including myself.....for me the question: am I honest? is like the question: am I a liar? and I know how many lies it takes for me to be a liar....lol (for those who don't know.........it's ONE....hehehe)

Yesterday you wrote -- "If you don't consider it a relapse, then it doesn't really count as a drinking day. I would encourage newcomers to do the same. Like I said before, it's honesty with oneself. I feel I am being honest and deserve the cake and 1 year chip. A few AA folks will even take me out to dinner. Let me ask you folks this, what's the big deal?? It's progress not perfection."

Well, since you've already said that you consider what you did have a relapse; as you stated in your original post: "...Yes, yes if anyone is wondering I am asking this because of my "relapse"..." so I guess even with you it really would count as a drinking day.....

I guess what I'm seeing from all your posts is that you're trying to rationalize. You want to celebrate, at an AA meeting, but you know AA counts CONTINUOUS days. You know AA states rigorous honesty, so you've decided that for you it's only being honest with yourself, because deep down you may believe that celebrating may be a lie?...again....just a thought

Ya know, that 'progress not perfection' is not referring to length of sobriety or how to count ones time, but to the steps (the Program) and how we work it/them: "The point is we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim SPIRITUAL progress not perfection." (BB pg 60) Uh oh, another AA bully, BB thumper....lol

Whatever you decide to do, it's all up to you; your length of sobriety (even with a relapse) is quite an acomplishment.....Hoorah to you!!! I know you want to celebrate....for you, and celebrate you should; you've done a good thing. But remember, even though it's hard to remember for new celebrants (the first few years, anyway).....as someone earlier stated, we really aren't getting those chips for ourselves, but for the newcomers....to give them hope, to show them it can be done.....and also, remember the old addage: when in Rome.....blah blah blah....lol For me, if I didn't have continuous sobriety, it would be disrespectful for me to accept a celebratory chip from AA.....but then, that's just me......

Goddonya tiburon88; WTG.... (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86

P.S. My time is my time, his/her time is his/her time; their time is their time and your time is your time..........and it's all GOOD!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Noelle,

Very eloquently put.

Yours in sobriety,
Ed

DOS: 6-8-86
Old 03-13-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Noelle,
I disagree, people in the program do not always get their sobriety chips to help the newcomers. Frequently, they announce their sobriety date and collect their chips to show off. I've let some AA folks intimidate and bully me for years. Obviously, AA is a support group that is suppose to help individuals not lower their self esteem further. The scariest slogan I've heard is "AA is the last spot on the block". I guess meaning that if you have a drug/alcohol problem, AA is the last spot before death. It's a relief knowing that this is not true.
It's refreshing to learn that others(a minority) feel the way I do. I will be posting more in another area of the forum where obviously I can get more support. I use to think that the goal of AA was to make you feel better about yourself and improve the quality of life. Those things are what define sobriety to me. However, AA is too black and white, all or nothing for me.
I've been in about four 12-step type treatments and worked with numerous sponsors and ya know what, NEVER was I asked about what I do like about myself or the positive things that I have accomplished in my life. I was reminded of all the bad things I've done or lost because of my addiction. I was also reminded of the YETS or what could happen jails, institutions and death. The first time you go to jail is scary but guess what the second and third time it get much easier. O well, thanx for letting me share.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tib a very simple question if you do not mind answering it.

Is there a program that you are going to that accepts and or encourages living a lie to stay sober?

Sobriety..... REAL sobriety is black and white, there is no grey in any program that has a snowballs chance in hell of helping an alcoholic. (If there is one that says they have a way of an alcoholic being able to drink safely please come back and let me know!)

Honesty is also Black and White.

One more question if you do not mind, are you picking up the chip just to get the cake and a dinner with a clean conscience, or is it a sort of revenge?

Tib please keep in mind that the doors of AA do swing both ways, and when you are ready to be honest with your self AA will welcome you back with open arms.

Are you sure you have been attending AA? It sure isn't any thing like I have seen in AA nor any one else here with a few rare exceptions.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
Noelle,
I disagree, people in the program do not always get their sobriety chips to help the newcomers. Frequently, they announce their sobriety date and collect their chips to show off. I've let some AA folks intimidate and bully me for years. Obviously, AA is a support group that is suppose to help individuals not lower their self esteem further. The scariest slogan I've heard is "AA is the last spot on the block". I guess meaning that if you have a drug/alcohol problem, AA is the last spot before death. It's a relief knowing that this is not true.
It's refreshing to learn that others(a minority) feel the way I do. I will be posting more in another area of the forum where obviously I can get more support. I use to think that the goal of AA was to make you feel better about yourself and improve the quality of life. Those things are what define sobriety to me. However, AA is too black and white, all or nothing for me.
I've been in about four 12-step type treatments and worked with numerous sponsors and ya know what, NEVER was I asked about what I do like about myself or the positive things that I have accomplished in my life. I was reminded of all the bad things I've done or lost because of my addiction. I was also reminded of the YETS or what could happen jails, institutions and death. The first time you go to jail is scary but guess what the second and third time it get much easier. O well, thanx for letting me share.

Tib,

I'm truly sorry you've had the experience you did with AA. I will tell you that just like religion get's in the way of spirituality, so do some people in AA. I've always encouraged sponsees to look at the good as well as the not so good. In fact, in the section of the Big Book that describes an inventory it states very clearly that an inventory is just that. A list of what needs to be thrown away, but also what needs to be kept. Strict, rigid rules made up by people who have nothing better to do with their time. It makes them feel powerful and in charge.

The goal of AA, as stated in the "Chapter to the Agnostic" is to help you find a power greater than yourself that will solve your problem. "The last house on the block" may be a slogan heard in meetings, but in now way does AA present itself as such. It's clearly stated that people are encouraged to seek out physicians, clergy, and anyone else that might be of help.

Some people repeat these "slogans" over and over again because they really believe it. Others are simply regurgitating what they've heard others say because they don't know what else to say. Of course there are bullies everywhere, but many of the hardliners at AA are simply trying to bring some folks back to reality. As you've seen on this site, there are many who live in fantasy worlds, being too scared or afraid to admit their world is falling apart. Sometimes, and it takes much discretion, a dose of reality is needed. It is by no means a hard and fast rule. The Big Book of AA mentions comfort, love, caring, and friendship. Sometimes the best friend you can have is someone who will tell you the truth, not someone who simply wants to coddle you and make nice. But there are many in-betweens. A friend or sponsor who is concerned about your well being, but will also offer a dose of reality is the kind of person I suggest to seek out.

Having said that, best wishes to you. I hope your road is clear and you avoid the landslides of life.

Ed
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Golfman View Post
The goal of AA, as stated in the "Chapter to the Agnostic" is to help you find a power greater than yourself that will solve your problem.
It's pretty specific about what that power greater than yourself is.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
It's pretty specific about what that power greater than yourself is.
The only thing specific is the label. Of course, everyone knows this is just an acronym for "Galactic Observation Device". :wink2:
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by zJoe99 View Post
The only thing specific is the label. Of course, everyone knows this is just an acronym for "Galactic Observation Device". :wink2:
LOL! That's one I hadn't heard.

I felt it was pretty specific about it's characteristics as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Nothing more fun then bashing others beleifs is there boys?

Oh yes and since we are playing the bashing game please spell out what page in the BB it describes the charateristics of ones Higher Power?

I would also like to know which religion it is in the BB they are ramming down peoples throats, please reference the page # and sentence, this I just have to see unless of course the basher boys are going to play the silent game.

If one wishes to bash groups let us please back it up with facts from the source, the BB rather then pulling it out of your rear end.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Sorry I touched a nerve.

All I was trying to say was that all the words used to describe that 'power' are consistant with theism and a theistic ultimate reality. I never said that it was bad thing. It just makes it difficult for some of us who don't believe in such a reality to relate.

I'm not trying to start a war. I'm on my fourth day sober. I seriously doubt I could handle it.

Friends?

DK

Last edited by doorknob; 03-13-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

What theism? Please explain for all of us using direct quotes from the BB. The only nerve you have touched is the truth nerve.

Please explain why there are athiest in AA that have long term sobriety?

Doorknob I like you, but I do not misrepresent what ever recovery method you have used and I feel it is fair to show the respect in the opposite direction by proving what you are claiming.

But I must say I really look forward to how if what is in the BB is theism as you say but do not prove, how in the workld do athiest gain long term sobriety via AA.

BTW one of the best AA speakers I have ever heard was an athiest.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Last paragraph page 46 strongly implies that the "power greater than ourselves" ... is a "Creative Intellegence, a spirit of the Universe"

page 49 ... paragraph starting page...

"there is an All Powerfull, Guiding, Intellegence"

page 52... third full paragraph

" the spirit of the universe "

page 56... is a story about someone... can be construed as "his understanding"... mentions Church... um that kind of implies a specific religion... and

"For the first time, he lived in concious companionship with his creator"

So perhaps a specific religion is not implied but it is strongly implied that the Power greater than yourself... is your creator... and is a single entity... Monotheism (is that the correct term?)...

the christian reference to "church" was perhaps not as innocuous as the authors intended...

and the line about God either is or he isn't (pg 53) implies something

to me this whole chapter says... all that talk of a God of your understanding... simply put... means... there is an all knowing creator... but beyond that... you get to define it...

--------------

I'm not sure how this came off... or why I posted it.. now.. ??? just the whole discussion got me thinking so I whiped out my mini-BB and read the chapter to the agnostic.. and took some notes... that's all...
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I'm not trying to start a war. I'm on my fourth day sober. I seriously doubt I could handle it.

DK

I wish you success in your quest for sobriety, whatever path you choose. I think AA will be the path for me. I know others have found sobriety in other ways.

But, hey, at least you're honest. You aren't just showing up at AA meetings to steal our cake. I hate when people do that! :wink2:
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

where do they hide the cake? That free coffee must be just a distraction.. where is the CAKE?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Maybe we should start another thread...

I dunno...

I just don't feel like being repremanded today!

Last edited by doorknob; 03-13-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debaucher View Post
where do they hide the cake? That free coffee must be just a distraction.. where is the CAKE?

At the birthdays, man!!

I feel I never get my fair share though.

I also go to a morning discussion meeting where there are donuts and pastries! I'm considering that one for my home group. Just a coincidence. No, really.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by zJoe99 View Post
You aren't just showing up at AA meetings to steal our cake. I hate when people do that! :wink2:
Thanks for the laugh. I really needed it!