Notices

NA Beer

Old 03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi all

Drinking N/A beer, rinsing mouth with whiskey but not swallowing, smoking marajuana but not inhaling, sitting in the bar with my friends etc. etc. etc. are all methods of brinkmanship. How close can I come? I have seen a lot of folks fall off doing it, I guess I just will stay WAY back from the edge.

Thanks

Ray
Old 03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
LOL!

Bread has a similar amount of trace alcohol as well. But.. you toast it, right? ..oh geez.. you have to watch the fruit preserves you put on them as well.. and skip the breath mint if it is sweetened with sorbitol...

I think the point here is that nobody ever goes out and gets a keg of toast and nobody orders an O'douls with their Denny's Grand Slam. I just looked at my carton of OJ in my fridge and it says nothing about alcohol. "Dude,....I just had a BLT and a Tropicana,....Im so wasted"
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
I think the point here is that nobody ever goes out and gets a keg of toast and nobody orders an O'douls with their Denny's Grand Slam. I just looked at my carton of OJ in my fridge and it says nothing about alcohol. "Dude,....I just had a BLT and a Tropicana,....Im so wasted"
Oh man, that's some freakin' funny stuff there! ;-) Lol
Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Exactly. Any 'intoxication' or craving from near bear, OJ, or whatever is all in the mind. But... I never said that made drinking it a good idea.

Last edited by doorknob; 03-08-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I had another thought concerning "substitutes for substances". One of the methods I tried repeatly to help me quit chewing tobacco was the use of herbal chews or that shredded beef jerky crap, and every time I went through about half the can and bought the real stuff. After 27 years I finally gave it up cold turkey, two months before I walked into AA and chose sobriety. Once again, total abstinence was the only thing that worked for me.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

--- tongue in cheek ---

But Astro... I am not like you... I am a unique alcoholic. I can drink NA beer and not be tempted.

Hey this is just like how I could drink like a normal person... how I could drink when I wanted to... HOw I could just have 1 or 2.. I mean 3 or 4 ... oh... whats a 6 pack goning to hurt... um... what's the real difference between 6 and 8 anyways... heck don't be a quiter now... finish that 12 pack...

----
my funky way of saying.. you guys have me believing... you converted me to your way of thinking... THANK YOU for saving me the trouble of learning the hard way...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I drink NA brewskies from time to time. O'douls is much better tasting than Sharps! I heard you would have to guzzle around 8 NA beers to feel the "buzz."

tiburon88 Sober Since 5/10/2006
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

LOL Tib why am I not surprized?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Yea I have been tooting powdered sugar with just a trace of snow in it, just to where it looks like I am tooting, it takes almost 8 lines before I can cop a buzz, but trust me brother, that would in no way make me want to go back to where I was.

I have always found it fun to tease dogs and play tag with a POed bull in a pasture, can't hurt to flirt with them right?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Lurker

Well if they have .5% alcohol that means you have to drink 6-7 to achieve the alcohol level of one beer. I ask my sponcer, and he found it very amusing, and sudjusted that there might be something else to drink. So I am sticking to the bubblely flavored water. My new drink of choice.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I wasn't going to respond to this.....it's always such a controversial topic, but I was cleaning out my frig over the weekend, and found, waaaaaaay in the back, some old, old, OLD Kalibers and St. Paulie NA's.....out they went; it's time to replace them, just in case.....after all, I'm a person of many 'tastes.' I have milk, diet sodas, of many flavors, even some regular sodas, also of many flavors, water, both plain and flavored, coffee, flavored and regular, tea, again regular and flavored.....heck, lotsa stuff to drink, AND, i like the taste of a beer on occasion (very rare occasion), just as many of my recovered friends do.....and YES, I do know some non-alcoholics who drink the NA beers too... (o: BUT friends.....? O'Douls? and Sharps? to me that stuff tastes like I might imagine **** to taste like.....bleah

Although Debaucher said this 'tongue-in-cheek, "But Astro... I am not like you... I am a unique alcoholic. I can drink NA beer and not be tempted..." That last line is absolutely true for me (and for many of my friends).....when I do have an NA beer, I'm not tempted to have a real one (or a non NA one....lol)...and about being unique, well, I know this goes against the grain, but I believe we're all unique, in our own little 'unique' ways.....hehehe

...and barb dwyer....I'm sorry neither I nor any of my friends ever gathered at your bar.....as none of us went back to the real thing (as you call it), and we all have 20+ recovery years. In fact many have 30+.....so go figure.....but then, I guess it's a good thing we never hung out in your establishment, cause then you wouldn't have been able to make your statement....: "100% of them went back to the real thing. Read tht again - 100% of my customers ... went back to the real thing." and I'd hate to be the one to mess with that beautiful stat..... (o:

Someone asked something about how many of these NA beers it might take to get a buzz.....well, since it would take about 5-6 NA beers to equal one regular beer, you'll have to figure that out for yourselves. For me, it was usually a 12 pack, so I guess I'd have to drink about 60(?) of the li'll suckers....NOT, no thanx....lol

...and this total abstinence of all things with any amount of alcohol, no matter how trace the amount may be.....? fergit dat. As many previous posters have said, many common foods, both solid and fluid, can have trace amounts of alcohol in them; it would be rediculous, to the extreme, to check and avoid all of them.....I still use Nyquil [which, by the way, now only has 10% (not their previous 25%) of alcohol in it] at the ending of my colds (perhaps one every 2-3 years) so as to hopefully get a night of sleep (at least 4 hours straight) without waking myself up coughing; and I use colognes and perfumes, seemingly without them entering my pores and causing my cravings...gee,,,,,maybe I truly am .......... uniquer?....lol

Oh heck, enough of all this.....one final note, as I like to live my life by this simple rule (and let others live theirs).....to thine ownself be true..... (o:

Last edited by NoelleR; 03-13-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Debaucher View Post
I also like it at home... but like I said to my wife... if it really is just for the taste then I should be able to take it or leave it... so I just leave it and see if I desire it... that should give me an answer...
thanks, that's a useful way to look at it
Old 04-06-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Budfrog View Post
It's important to know what is meant by alcohol free. This is particularly so for people who avoid alcohol for religious reasons or those on certain medications which create a severe reaction to even the smallest alcohol content.

Government regulations control what terms can be used. The rules that control how we label drinks according to their alcohol content are different in the UK from the rest of Europe.

In the UK there are strict regulations that split drinks into specific categories:

Non- alcoholic: contains no alcohol at all (0.0%)
Alcohol-free: contains 0.05% alcohol or less
De-alcoholised: contains 0.5% alcohol or less
Low-alcohol: contains more than 0.5% but no more than 1.2%

On the Continent the rules are not so complicated. All drinks with up to 0.5 per cent alcohol are regarded as alcohol-free.

To put this into context, an ordinary glass of fresh orange juice can naturally contain up to 0.5% alcohol. Malt vinegar you put on your chips is about 0.2% alcohol.
I can tell you that over here (USA) the few beers that are labelled "non-alcoholic" that I saw in the store last night all said "less than 0.5% alcohol" -- way too much for me -- I was hoping they would say 0.05%

so I went and bought some root beer ("Barq's has bite") and ginger ale -- I think I'll get selzer or tonic water next time to avoid the sugar (I don't like aspartame and only a few sodas use sucralose)
Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good idea Kevin...

I favor Iced Tea with a Lemon slice year round.

Keep in focus...Sobriety Rocks!!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

hey CarolD! lots of iced tea and lemon down here as well -- the drink of my youth

but sometimes it's fun to have ginger-ale bubbles up the nose

cheers!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My son said to me one day........"NA Beer is the most "alcoholic" thing I think I have ever heard of. Only an alcoholic would come up with it or drink it....." I think he's right.

Yea....denial in a can.

Kinda like "light" cigarettes....

Don't waste your time nor feed that little voice inside that likes to "justify".

All JMHO
Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
My son said to me one day........"NA Beer is the most "alcoholic" thing I think I have ever heard of. Only an alcoholic would come up with it or drink it....." I think he's right.
I think you will find that it was introduced to prevent drink-driving and not as a substitute for alcoholics.

Don't see any problem drink N/A beer if the person enjoys the taste and it helps them keep off the real thing ... after all abstaining is not a religion and as everyone is differant what suits one person may not suit another. Down to personal choice really.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

I never saw the point in na beer. I drank beer (or what ever) not for the taste but for the drunk, that was always the whole point for me and na hooch would be a waist of time and money for me.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Maybe I have a differant view of NA beer as my main aim is MM.

However one thing that has struck me in the UK/Europe is how good the taste of some of these products are compared to what was on offer some years back. T

The only thing that still rankles is the price which is somtimes more than the normal product ... if the Govt was genuinely trying to cut the number of Drunk Drivers then the stuff should be ultra low cost, or maybe it's the breweries that are taking advantage.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

the breweries that are taking advantage.
Hey they need to get the alkies back into the cash flow some how, I read some figures on drinking here in the US that 90% of the alcohol consumed in the US is consumed by 10% of the drinkers....... hmmm I wonder who their main customers are? They want us back for the cash flow.