Notices

One meeting & a whole new way of thinking!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile One meeting & a whole new way of thinking!

I am pleased to tell you all that last night, I made my first meeting and as promised, I would like to share the experience with you.
I was very worried and anxious as some of you may recall but thanks to the support of all at SR, I had faith that it would certainly do me no harm. The bus took a detour and I began to panic as I was sure I would be late but by some miracle I arrived on time and was immediately offered a cup of tea.
Thanks to your sharing, I had some idea of what to expect and that certainly helped my confidence. Straightaway, I felt that I was in the presence of people who would pass no judgement but just offered acceptance. I even managed to read a little from the Big Book when my turn came around!
It was difficult but I did introduce myself and explain that had not had a drink for 53 days. I’m glad I shared because at the end, another member gave me a welcome pack and we went for a cup of tea where this member gave me their telephone number.
I had been so scared that people would find me a fraud but of course, I am beginning to realise that this thinking is simply the alcoholism trying to convince me to have another drink. I told my new friend that the whole evening’s experience had made me feel & think differently already. We discussed the difference between being a “dry drunk” and being sober in recovery. Last weekend, when I met you all, I was a struggling dry drunk. Thanks to your wonderful support, I have now opened the door, via the Fellowship, to a better from of sobriety. I can’t thank you all enough. Hope to share with you all soon. Raineyxx
Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey Raineydae,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm happy for you that you were able to face your fear and actually attend a meeting. As you discovered, it really does make a positive difference.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

(Picture of an old drunk with a tear running down his cheek as he grins from ear to ear) Rainey I am so thankful that you found out what AA is all about in your first meeting, I would imagine that I don't need to tell you that you can call your AA friend any time do I?

Looking back I recall how I fought going to AA, I had a picture of a group of miserable people sitting around praying for their misery to pass and thumping bibles!

I was like so many other drunks who knew they needed to stop drinking but because my butt was not kicked well enough yet to deflate my swollen ego down to a manageable size I continued to fight AA and as a result was a miserable drunk.

I am so happy you found what I found in my first meeting (sober), I have heard and beleive some folks having a bad experience in their first meeting, some of them did not go back for years, some kept coming back and found that the miracle does live in the rooms of AA for those who work the program.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Raineydae! I'm so glad you posted this.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you too soon have a positive experience like mine, Talluleh. I'll be glad to share your experiences with you too and thank you for your encouragement.
Yes, it really does make a positive difference like FindingOut says.
Taz, I'm sure you are right about calling my AA friend but of course I'm worried about it! But then I wouldn't be me if I wasn't! I briefly sent her a text SMS this morning just to say thank you for the tea & chat. I don't want to push it, of course, so I hope that is appropriate.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow Raineydae!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi rainey, wow I am so glad that you found the courage within yourself to go to a meeting,and it went so well for you also.You can start on your rd to recovery knowing that you are amongst friends.Hey raine you did what was right for you by just texting your friend,and thats all people will expect.They will be pleased that you contacted them,they know you have the number if you need them.
At my first meeting I was given 6 numbers by different people and I only ever phoned two of the people and not sraight away either.Phone numbers are not only given out for you to use when your struggling but also just to say hello,it will help you and the other person just to know that your both doing ok in sobriety.Anyways well done for going and I look forward to hearing of your next meeting.
Stay strong it's friday !

chris.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

1. Good for you!

2. AA people are some of the most amazing people I've ever met - people that care so much about strangers.

3. I've realized the hardest part about an AA meeting, is simply getting there.

PR
Old 03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by PurpleReign View Post

3. I've realized the hardest part about an AA meeting, is simply getting there.

PR
For many, the hardest part is to keep coming back...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

wonderful and well done it takes a lot of courage. for me i found peace in those rooms from the word go, what a journey and what a privilege to be on it - and it's open to all!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jolly good show, mate! keep your fanny going back! there is more serenity and peace where that came from.

(Practicing to be a brit!)
Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

nocellphone your avatar is wonderful; I love it!

BigGirlPanties:
Jolly good show, mate! keep your fanny going back! there is more serenity and peace where that came from.
You are doing well with your South Eastern British. But it is so funny; You know what a fanny is in British don't you? Cos you all have fanny packs over there. We call them bum bags and I'm sure you'll find that amusing enough but we think fanny pack is even funnier. Check out why we love you US guys saying that at http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Chris, thanks again for all your support. I am doing alright even though it is Friday and my AA friend has sent me a text just like you all knew she would of course. :wink2:
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

It is so nice to hear a happy tale about a first meeting.

As we say in Texas, "You jus' keep on comin' back!"...

Old 03-02-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

By sharing your experience strength and hope you are helping all of us immeasurably! (sp?)

Peace, Levi
Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

my AA friend has sent me a text just like you all knew she would of course.
So Rainey how are you doing today hon?

Rainey "hon" is a southern American expression equivelant to "love" in England.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm alright. I made my second meeting.
I'm getting myself into a bit of a state about the drinks I have switched to, actually. Once a week, I go out with my partner for a chat and in past weeks I have been drinking a soft drink called J20 and there are a few flavours. I find I can't drink Coke all night. At home I drink non alcoholic sparkling grape juice but they don't sell anything like that in bars and I have to say the choice is pretty poor really.
Someone I have recently met, who doesn't drink said she felt uneasy with J20 drinks and that they were too like alcohol. I hadn't considered that at all! I just presumed if something wasn't alcohol then it was alright to drink it. Any advice anyone?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Just a pesonal opinion, but if it has NO alcohol in it is good to go. Now I will say that the fake beers and wine to me are hiding the fact that I have quit drinking and may also keep in my head the feeling of having a drink. I simply drink, coffee, tea, water, or a soda.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well..
What I could not do is sit around
for long
with drinkers in a drinking place.

After about 15 minutes I had to
go or I wanted to drink.

Yes, I am aware of how a large part
of social contacts are done in pubs.

Ever ask how the AA members manage to
have a social life without drinking?
That would be interesting I think.

Blessings
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Rainey

So glad you made the meetings and found them to be nice.

As for what I drink other then alcohol... Some of the things I liked about a beer I can get and enjoy from a glass of coke or pepsi.
Here in the states we do something strange... we drink beer cold *LOL*
After a hard days work outside, a cold drink hits the spot. When I stopped drinking I found that the tall glass of coke hit the spot the same way. For some an ice tea would do the same.
I don't think on it much unless I find something becomes a trigger and starts the wrong thinking, till then I will enjoy what ever I drink.... as long as it isn't alcohol.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Ever ask how the AA members manage to
have a social life without drinking?
That would be interesting I think.
I can tell you how I have a social life, AA functions and most normal funtions as long as the whole funtion is not about drinking. I am amazed at how now I could care less if some other folks are drinking, it doesn't matter to me as long as they are not drunk or trying to get me to join in, when that starts is when I leave with my head held high. Very little has changed for me socially with out booze except the additional AA functions. Not every one can handle folks drinking around them for a number of reasons, but it doesn't matter, the whole world does not drink and many functions that used to be drinking functions are now becoming alcohol free functions, in my area there is a HUGE New Years bash every year that is alcohol free.