Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Never really wanted to draw a line in the sand...

Notices

Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Hey gang,
I was always of the opinion that an addict was an addict and most of me still believes that.

But I've always felt more comfortable with those at AA meetings vs. NA meetings, but never attributed it to the addiction itself.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, do you think alcoholics are more inclined to optimism and drug users are more inclined to pessimism?

Just curious, obviously the recovered/ing addict is of most importance, but I really am starting to see a bigger chasm in personality types the more I read here.

PR
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gee...I don't know.

I quit doing drugs years before I quit drinking.
So...I have never tried NA.

I don't want to start the old flap
"A drug is a drug is a drug...
and alcohol is a drug."

I just figure one should use whatever
method that gets and keeps them healthy.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In my area an awful lot of recovered and recovering drug addicts are in AA meetings for 2 main reasons:

1. There are not NA meetings every night in my area.

2. I have had several of them tell me that they find AA meetings more uplifting, spiritual, and present more of a long term hope then in NA.

I am not passing judgement on NA at all, I have also had some NA folks tell me that in many ways they do not relate to folks in AA, others exactly the opposite.

The programs are basically the same with alterations to apply more to drug addicts in NA and to alcoholics in AA.

I used to feel that drug addicts and alcoholics were the same, just a different drug until my sponsor told me there was a difference and proved it by asking me a couple of questions after finding out I had done drugs before.

1. When you did drugs once you were high did you continue to take more drugs or just enjoy the high?

I just enjoyed the high, when I came down I would do more if I wanted to.

2. When you drank once you got high did you stop drinking or just enjoy the high?

I kept drinking until there either was no more, I was in a situation where I had to stop, I passed out or fell asleep.

Would any drug addicts care to share on this? Will a drug addict just keep taking the drugs until they are high or keep taking them until they are out, had to stop due to a situation, pass out or fall asleep?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by PurpleReign View Post
Hey gang,
I was always of the opinion that an addict was an addict and most of me still believes that.

But I've always felt more comfortable with those at AA meetings vs. NA meetings, but never attributed it to the addiction itself.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, do you think alcoholics are more inclined to optimism and drug users are more inclined to pessimism?

Just curious, obviously the recovered/ing addict is of most importance, but I really am starting to see a bigger chasm in personality types the more I read here.

PR

PR,

I have no experience with drup addiction. However, if you feel more comfortable at AA, stay there. The twelve step program works for anyone, regardless of their drug of choice. It's a design for living rather than just a way to quit drinking/drugging. When we learn how to live happily, there'll be no reason to need alccohol/drugs to help us through the circumstance of our lives.

I can't speak to the different personality types either. I've seen all kinds at AA and I do believe that the people in AA represent every type of personality there is. That being said, I'm sure I've not seen each and every one.

I've also found that different groups have different personalities. I can go to one AA meeting where the main discussion mostly centers around life after alcohol. I can also go to another meeting somewhere else that focuses on newcomers and their problems. I encourage you to visit all types of group, we need as much help as we can get.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Thanks for the replies Carol, Taz (good question btw), and Golf...

I agree with everything you have all said and I have been floating around reading and sometimes posting in other forums. I started thinking, hmm, maybe I should just stick with my drug of choice home group from now on and make it easy on all of us.

So, when if comes to meetings or forums I guess it's best to just "get in where you fit in."

PR
Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

PR I always try and find meetings with a lot of sobriety and experience with a little sprinkling of newbies. Newbies bring out the absolute best in the old timers which benefits everyone including the old timers them selfs!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Taz,
I remember going to a few meetings last year and telling the counselor, "Man, the meetings I've been to really suck and I'm not getting anything out of them..."

His response, "Well you've got 459 to choose from in this city."

Crap! He got me.

PR
Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of the big things for me coming in was being able to relate to others' experiences "out there". Fooled around with drugs a lot in my younger years but never quite developed the passion for it that I did for drinking. Availability was an issue too. If I'd been in the right situations and had the proper financial backing, I'm sure I'd have made a great drug addict, but it never came off. Of course, maybe the addict says "where there's a will, there's a way".

THings like overeating, gambling, sex, were OK to do obsessively, but they never did quite fill the bill either. So while the cure is essentially the same, maybe the diseases are a little more different.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA vs. NA

I've been involved in AA & NA for almost 12 yrs now & I have to say that I get what I need from both programs simply because I have a good sponsor & I'm willing to look for the similarities rather than the differences. That "clean vs. sober" blah...blah...banter use to **** me off. Once I had worked the steps & realized that I could identify as an addict in NA & an alcoholic in AA, I was fine. It doesn't matter to me. I'm both. I understand that alcohol is a drug, however, I don't feel that it's necessary to put so much energy into the terminology as some in the NA fellowship do. It seems they...again...not all... feel that it's necessary when you are an alcoholic & a drug addict that you identify as "clean" rather than sober. And to identify or even remotely incinuate that you are an alcoholic is just not O.K. Can anybody tell me why that is? Cuz...I tell ya...I can't figure out why that is such an issue for them!!! When I identify as an "alcoholic/addict" in AA I don't get the "rolling eyes" or the cold shoulder while I'm sharing. In an NA meeting if even say the word "sober", I've immediately set myself apart from their fellowship...again...in some groups this has happened. I try to only identify as an alcoholic in AA & an addict in NA meetings, but I'm both...I used alot of drugs & I drank alot. All I can think of is the newcomer who might hear SOMETHING from my experience strength & hope that they need to hear. Isn't that what recovery is all about?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yep..he got you there PR...lol

I attend both fellowships, only around 30 a week between the 2 fellowships.

NA is a bit weak in my area, not a lot of old timers and saturated with
court cards and rehab center making outside meetings. Not a lot of depth
in recovery. It's like a whining session sometimes, But I attend and listen
to the principle of the message. My recovery involves doing sevice work,
if I don't hold a posistion, i give noobies rides and stuff like that. Becuase they lost everything like i did.

My home group is an AA group it's a book studie, so we get down to bussiness, read, study and share about the 12 steps.

My favorite meeting is the saturday night speaker meeting, AA.
Lots of old timmers. They are a wild bunch, lots of laughters, jokes
and stories. Lots of ESH in one room. Plus i was thier experiment
when i first got clean and sober.lol

I don't think it the fellowship, it's just certain meetings.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

SaTiT -

30 - a WEEK??

I haven't the fingers and toes to figure out an average per day ... LOL

but I agree - although I do go to both (NA on occasion) for me, it's also the fact that more are my own age and exp. in AA. But there's a ... depth ... in AA that I absolutely require in order to stay sober ...

PR - good thread!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Originally Posted by SaTiT View Post
yep..he got you there PR...lol
I don't think it the fellowship, it's just certain meetings.
ST,
Not sure how to seperate quotes but regarding your first comment - I was thinking the same thing.

Re: the 2nd, yeah maybe I wasn't fair enough to NA in my judgement because I have been to more AA meetings and I'm sure a good NA meeting is better than a bad AA meeting.

Blessings,
PR